No drinking in the hot tubs on the Norwegian Jade

skeeler

I have been on three Norwegian cruises and the product is substantially different. The Escape and Epic actually have servers to bring you drinks in the hot tubs and pools, but the Jade strictly forbid it. They went so far as to put plastic guards in the hot tubs so you couldn't set your drink down. Staff came around and told us it was forbidden.

We found this to be lame. The staff had inconsistent and stupid answers about "US maritime law". Why not on other Norwegian ships?? We were in Greece on a ship which had the port of call of the Bahamas. Nowhere did the US figure into this.

We had the Ultimate Beveridge Package but what's the point if you can't enjoy a glass of wine in the pool or hot tub. Stupid!

The Jade trip we took was in Greece.

It's an old ship retired from Hawaii so all the decor and art is from Hawaii. It's a tired old ship and has a geriatric atmosphere.

It's always been the rule , just not usually enforced.

That is what I thought was the case too. Its like the "no children allowed" in the hot tub rule. Its rarely enforced. I could care less either way but I am glad to see a rule enforced. I see some purposes for the rule. It prevents hot tub hogs from staying there all day drinking. In addition all of that liquid has to go somewhere. Too many lazy people do STUPID things drunk. I understand most of the cups are plastic but could you imagine if someone brought in a real glass drink? Its a liability. The really nasty drunks should not be anywhere near water.

I know this is not everyone but as usual, a few bad apples ruin the bunch and we need policed :eek:

I don't use the people soup hot tubs. But if I did, I don't want to be around people drinking wildly. I know its not everyone though. I may be in the minority but I say. GO NCL!

Well, while I'm not an expert on EU law, I can give some insight into this.

The Escape and Epic are currently home ported out of the US, and therefore fall under the USPH (US Public Health, a division of the CDC) Vessel Sanitation Plan with regards to vessel sanitation, and pool sanitation and safety are parts of this plan. This is true even for ships that are not US flag vessels, but that carry passengers into and out of the US. The VSP does not have any prohibitions on drinking alcohol in pools and hot tubs, but does not allow glass beverage containers in these areas. The CDC does, however, not recommend drinking in pools in their pool safety program.

The Jade, sailing in the Med, falls under the EU's "ShipSan" program, which is very similar to the USPH VSP. This does mention drinking in pools and hot tubs as contributory to poor pool safety, but does not come right out and prohibit it. Part of the ShipSan program is compliance with the WHO's policies. WHO also has a very detailed section on pool safety, and calls drinking in pools a very large contributor to accidents. Now, while neither of these programs prohibit drinking in pools specifically, there may be further EU laws concerning this. So, the answers about "US maritime law" were not correct, it may have to do with EU safety and health laws.

The Jade also, before her return to the US last year, had a small pool for diapered children, which did not meet the requirements for these pools set by the USPH, so it was disabled when she returned to the US. This is just an example of how the "product" can vary depending on where the ship is in the world.

Edited by chengkp75

I was on Getaway Labor Day week 2016 and they had a dedicated attendant enforcing the no-beverage rule in the main pool and hot tubs and adjacent hot tubs. I was surprised by this so I looked in the Welcome Aboard booklet and, indeed, no drinking in pools and hot tubs is the rule.

But, like others have said, that was the first time I had seen the rule enforced on NCL. Rather, bar servers like the hot tubs because the folks in them are literally fish in a barrel.

Had I not sailed a few times on HAL, which never allows drinking in pools or hot tubs and always enforces the rule, I would have been more shocked.

Thanks for the background info on the legalities. However I believe the Jade, Epic, and all Norwegian ships are registered in the Bahamas. For tax avoidance reasons no doubt.

@ david_sobe: you should probably avoid NCL if you're fearful of "nasty drunks". I hear there is a new Amish cruise line you want want to look into that. In the pools, hot tubs, or anywhere. They offer unlimited alcohol packages. I had to laugh when I heard you use the phrase "hot tub hog". They should just put more hot tubs on their ships. The Esvape has plenty. Jade is sorely lacking, as is the Epic. Nobody should have to feel crowded on their vacation when they want to use the tub.

Whatever the excuse for the mega-lame Jade's hot tub **** attitude, the entire ship felt old and geriatric. The decor was Hawaiian which was tacky as hell. It just spoke to putting no effort forth. The entertainment on the Jade, and everything was far inferior to any cruise I've been on.

Edited by skeeler

Thanks for the background info on the legalities. However I believe the Jade, Epic, and all Norwegian ships are registered in the Bahamas. For tax avoidance reasons no doubt.

Quite well aware of where the NCL ships are registered, as I worked on them as Chief Engineer for 4 years, and have been going to sea for 40 years. Regardless of where the ship is registered, as I said, some local laws have to be followed. The health and sanitation regulations are just one area where the local, or "port state" laws trump the "flag state" where the ship is registered.

I was on Getaway Labor Day week 2016 and they had a dedicated attendant enforcing the no-beverage rule in the main pool and hot tubs and adjacent hot tubs. I was surprised by this so I looked in the Welcome Aboard booklet and, indeed, no drinking in pools and hot tubs is the rule.

But, like others have said, that was the first time I had seen the rule enforced on NCL. Rather, bar servers like the hot tubs because the folks in them are literally fish in a barrel.

Had I not sailed a few times on HAL, which never allows drinking in pools or hot tubs and always enforces the rule, I would have been more shocked.

I remember that drinks could be taken into the hot tubs, but the servers wouldn't bring them there. I suspect that there has been some legal issue, and the company's ISM (International Safety Management) code is being updated and the ships are being instructed to enforce the rules.

I also just sailed the Jade for two weeks. Didn't pay any attention to hot tubs but I did overhear several times staff talking about preparing for some intensive inspections upon return to the US and need for them to participate in many QA inspections for preparation. This may have had something to do with it.

Seems like it was always against the rules, but before beverage packages became common, servers would bend the rules as it was the best way to get a good tip, even working on their off hours to do so.

Now, they almost have a salary with so many opting for the packages, so there's little incentive for them to go out of their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

Their spas have no chemistry. They are nuked with Chlorine or Bromine and they are cold at 98 to 100 degrees.

To that other dude, sorry to hear you worked for NCL. We talked to a lot of (very nice) employees and they were very underpaid and not happy. NCL seems like a very cut throat operation.

I also just sailed the Jade for two weeks. Didn't pay any attention to hot tubs but I did overhear several times staff talking about preparing for some intensive inspections upon return to the US and need for them to participate in many QA inspections for preparation. This may have had something to do with it.

That would be the USPH inspection that is de rigeur when a ship returns to the US after some time away. Unfortunately, this shows that the Jade is not maintaining the USPH culture when away from the US, which NCL used to do, as it needs to become second nature, not something that is "crammed" for like a final exam.

Their spas have no chemistry. They are nuked with Chlorine or Bromine and they are cold at 98 to 100 degrees.

To that other dude, sorry to hear you worked for NCL. We talked to a lot of (very nice) employees and they were very underpaid and not happy. NCL seems like a very cut throat operation.

Your whole attitude...sucks.