Are drink packages worth it?

Sun Lover

I definitely think its worth it.

Sea days probably more than the average drink amount, port days less, but it evens out, plus speciality coffees and water, you can easily have five plus drinks most days, cocktails get knocked back super quick- three of those $36 !!

And you don't have to budget for it with your spending money as its paid for in advance, just turn up at the bar and order :)

It depends on how much you drink. It doesn't matter if 100 (or 1000) others think it's worth it to them, if you don't drink the 4-5 drinks it takes to "break even" it's not worth it. Period, end of story.

The "one less bill to worry about" doesn't make sense to me. Why not just budget for the amount of the drink package and then pay it off? How does it make sense to pay $300 (for example) for the package, but only get $200 worth of drinks, just so you don't have an extra bill at the end of the cruise?

I got a drink package on our cruise in July. I was struggling to get the 5 drinks a day at the end. Not because I was drunk or even tipsy, I just wasn't interested in that much alcohol.

Now, if you think you will drink enough (as mentioned, take into account port time) for the drink package, go for it. But no one else can answer that question for you.

We like the fact we will stock our room with bottled water, no need to bring any , grab water @ ports no need to buy on gangway and enjoy wine with our meals plus any other cocktails @ shows,etc

do you just take the water back to your cabin for that night ,and take some with you when you go ashore

I drink a decent amount on a cruise and I had the drink package and loved it. Next cruise, I tested the first day, just purchased drinks.... my tab was about 100 bucks.

Bought the package the next day, will never not have it again.

The best part is not thinking about money everytime you order a drink.

Drink package cost is what makes us wondering about an all-inclusive or a cruise this year. Package is now close to 550$CA pp/week. I don"t even drink for that much in a year.

Considering the cruise we are looking at only has 1 sea day we "might" get the soft drink package only. We will be drinking anyway at the port of call. Or we might go for a 5*AI for less.

Cheers :-)

It depends on how much you drink. It doesn't matter if 100 (or 1000) others think it's worth it to them, if you don't drink the 4-5 drinks it takes to "break even" it's not worth it. Period, end of story.

The "one less bill to worry about" doesn't make sense to me. Why not just budget for the amount of the drink package and then pay it off? How does it make sense to pay $300 (for example) for the package, but only get $200 worth of drinks, just so you don't have an extra bill at the end of the cruise?

I got a drink package on our cruise in July. I was struggling to get the 5 drinks a day at the end. Not because I was drunk or even tipsy, I just wasn't interested in that much alcohol.

Now, if you think you will drink enough (as mentioned, take into account port time) for the drink package, go for it. But no one else can answer that question for you.

And this is why DH and I have the replenish package ($22pp, per day on sale) and not the deluxe. We may have two alcoholic drinks per day, plus the wine in our stateroom, but we probably won't.

Don't forget that many people get a package for other drinks as well as alcoholic ones. You indicated you were struggling to get five alcoholic drinks a day. Many people enjoy virgin drinks, juice, pop, special coffees, bottled water, in addition to the approximate five alcoholic drinks.

We just came back from Oasis (Oct 1), and for the first time had the Drink Pkg. Neither of us are even "social" drinkers, if I have one drink per month at home, that's probably a lot. That said, I definitely feel we got our money's worth.

Sea Days, morning specialty Coffee or Smoothie from the Spa, lying about the pool, easily one (sometimes two - and not always alcoholic, which of course are cheaper), Dinner - always had a glass of Wine, Shows/Lounges in the Evening 2 per night. And usually a Bottle of Water from time to time with the Drink Order.

Port Days, Ok, maybe I "missed" that one I would have had at the Pool, but we were usually back on the ship by mid afternoon, and would have at minimum the Coffee (Latte) or a Smoothie.

For us, I just didn't want to have to Sign the Bill each time seeing $9, $10... (Plus 18%) and wonder if I should have another drink when we went to Trivia in the evening to the Comedy Show later (or wherever).

And I never felt a "buzz" from over consuming, just make sure you get a Bottle of Water when you order as well.

It's a personal decision, and much discussion about what's the "Break-even", for us, I felt it was well worth it, and will do it again on our next sailing - especially given the 20% Discount being offered.

You can always get a drink on disembarkation day, but you will find that your credit card will be billed. The package ends the last night of your cruise. I find that between the fresh squeezed oj, 2 specialty coffees and about 4 bottle of water, you only need a couple glasses of wine with dinner to break even, therefore your Miami vice or two at the pool are 'free'!

not on celebrity

we got specialty coffees up to leaving the ship

never tried on Royal as coffee not usually included, never fancied a beer at 8am:eek:

The drink packages work for us. We enjoy a few alcoholic drinks a day, water, wine with dinner and soft drinks. I also enjoy good specialty coffee. While starbucks isn't included, specialty coffee from other venues is. We on rare occasions, might also have "real" OJ.

IMO well worth it! We always come out way ahead compared to if we didn't have the package. Of course we drink more on sea days, but also drink on port days to make it worth while! Also, we are able to try drinks and not feel guilty if we do not like them. As somebody else said, you can drink all you want in Labadee or coco key.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Is the bar on Labadee for those with a drink package a full bar? Beer, wine and other cocktails, including frozen drinks or just their signature 'Labadoozie'?

The bar I went to in Labadee, near Barefoot beach, had limited drinks. The only frozen concoction they had was the Labadoozie frozen slush. It usually comes with your choice of dark or light rum, but they will put vodka in it if you prefer. They did have beer; I don't recall them having wine. Definitely not a full bar, but pretty adequate.

Some people place a value on the convenience of not having to think or calculate. I don't think that has a $100 value either, but I can see how some people can place a value on creating a more all-inclusive feel to their vacation. I might place a $5 value or maybe even $25, but I can't drink enough to even get close to making the packages worth it for me. I wish I could because I like the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Neither my husband, nor I, is a big drinker. However, when we are on vacation on a relaxed schedule- we may enjoy the benefit of the automatic DD, since someone is always "driving" the ship. Okay seafaring types- don't slam me for incorrect terminology. You get the idea.

Anyhow, as others have stated, RC does not make everyone in the party have the same package. My husband usually gets the Select Package and I usually get the Deluxe package (as I recall- the select package is the less expensive one). I enjoy liquor drinks more than he does. I think the general rule of thumb of about 5 drinks a day for "break even" seems pretty accurate. With the water and soda inclusion, that definitely helps my "break even" point.

Now looking at the RCL site, it looks like there are not different levels of "alcoholic beverage packages" anymore, so my assessment about Select and Deluxe may not mean anything.

One of the things I enjoyed was trying different drinks. If I didn't like something, I didn't feel bad about paying $10-12 a drink. I also didn't feel compelled to drink it just because I had paid for it. If I wanted to take one sip and put it aside, I felt fine with that.

Also, the drink packages do give you the benefit of certain percentage discount on bottles of wine. Just something to think about if you are planning to have bottles of wine with dinner. You can certainly order by the glass as well. One last little thing to think about is if you are bringing the allowed bottles of wine (2 per stateroom). That might influence your decision as well. It wouldn't have much impact on our decision to purchase the packages, but it might for some. As there is no longer a corkage fee, you can enjoy any wine you brought from home in the dining room too.

I might place a $5 value or maybe even $25, but I can't drink enough to even get close to making the packages worth it for me. I wish I could because I like the idea.

Oh, I agree with that. If I thought I would get near the "break even" point, I could see the benefit. And I agree with you. To me, "near" would be within ~$30.

If you just want regular coffee, nothing special, is that complimentary anywhere on the ship? Also, does anyone know what they charge for a bottle of water if you don't have the drink package and is it available pretty much anywhere?

If you just want regular coffee, nothing special, is that complimentary anywhere on the ship? Also, does anyone know what they charge for a bottle of water if you don't have the drink package and is it available pretty much anywhere?

Regular coffee is available in Windjammer, Park Cafe, and a few other spots. It is free.

Water is around $2.50 (plus 18% gratuity).

Going on Harmony in December and ordered the "Premium" package way back.. Now they do not have it anymore, does that mean I'll have the "Deluxe" package now?

I always just get the soda package, but my last cruise we tried the drink package and really enjoyed having it.

Bruce