Snacks to take into port

pugrads

We will be sailing on the Summit 12/3/16 & are looking at a well reviewed tour in St. Kitts that's essentially all day. My concern is they provide "snacks" during the day rather than providing a full lunch. I've clarified with the tour operator that they are "heavy pastries"... whatever that means :confused: So my question is there an option for something like a bag lunch that can be ordered? I can't remember from previous trips if I saw anything like that - in large part because I wasn't looking for it. I just don't want my husband or me to get "hangry" & have a less than enjoyable afternoon :D

Thanks!

Many countries have strict laws regarding bringing food in. These should always be adhered to. If you must eat something other than what is provided, you could purchase something on the island. Surely, you will find something.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Ships do not generally provide sack lunches, although I have heard of some very high end lines doing it. Your tour itinerary should state whether there are stops where you might get lunch or buy snacks. If not, and you're really worried, take along some packaged protein or nut bars. Just about anything else will violate laws in many ports. Maybe someone has more specific information on St. Kitts, but in some cases there are even dogs trained to detect food which can violate local import laws.

If you're concerned, slip a few individual packages of nuts for protein in your luggage. That would be the best option honestly. Or peanut butter crackers. You can also put in a couple individual mini gouda cheeses or something like those Babybels. I would not recommend sugary items which won't last.

Bring a large bottle of water (or two) for each of you, that you can leave on the van. I'm trying to remember a comprehensive St. Kitts tour we had a few years ago. It wasn't through X but if I recall there was a stop along the way for some banana bread and other island treats.

Have a big breakfast before you go and you should be fine. Better to be hydrated - bring more water than you think you need. It's hot down there and that can sap your energy more than missing half a meal.

Agricultural restrictions vary by country. Common forbidden items include fresh fruit, meat, cheese, fresh vegetables. For these reasons, Celebrity does not offer sack lunches and you should not take food from the ship.

In general, commercially prepared, prepackaged snacks can be taken ashore. Protein bars, trail mix etc. can get you through the day.

If you're concerned, slip a few individual packages of nuts for protein in your luggage. That would be the best option honestly. Or peanut butter crackers. You can also put in a couple individual mini gouda cheeses or something like those Babybels. I would not recommend sugary items which won't last.

Bring a large bottle of water (or two) for each of you, that you can leave on the van. I'm trying to remember a comprehensive St. Kitts tour we had a few years ago. It wasn't through X but if I recall there was a stop along the way for some banana bread and other island treats.

Have a big breakfast before you go and you should be fine. Better to be hydrated - bring more water than you think you need. It's hot down there and that can sap your energy more than missing half a meal.

I must disagree with having a 'big' breakfast .. Just a simple healthy breakfast. Most people need healthy food every 2 to 3 hours and all by 4 hours. Always take a prepackaged snack with protein and lots of water. So many people have blood sugar issues even if not diabetic

I must disagree with having a 'big' breakfast .. Just a simple healthy breakfast. Most people need healthy food every 2 to 3 hours and all by 4 hours. Always take a prepackaged snack with protein and lots of water. So many people have blood sugar issues even if not diabetic

I actually completely agree with you. Most days on the ship I have a little bit of low fat granola, some fresh berries and some greek yogurt - or a hard boiled egg and some fruit, and that's it. However, the OP seemed to be concerned about getting through the day so my answer was tailored to that concern, mentioning specifically a protein and water.

Probably should have just said "don't skip breakfast." Might not occur to some, but to me I typically have to remind myself not to ;)

I have low blood sugar so know what I have to do for all day tours in port. I bring prepackaged nuts and protein bars from home. You cannot take anything off the ship that is not prepackaged. I also eat a high protein breakfast on the ship. Bring some money in case there are opportunities on the tour to purchase additional food, if needed.

After I have taken a tour and before going back to the ship in some of the Caribbean ports, I enjoy watching cruise passengers filing through the agricultural inspection stations. There is usually a trained "sniffer" dog who sniffs the purses of passengers. No, the dog is not sniffing for drugs but for fruit or meats. The passengers sheepishly have to discard their food into waste containers.

I actually completely agree with you. Most days on the ship I have a little bit of low fat granola, some fresh berries and some greek yogurt - or a hard boiled egg and some fruit, and that's it. However, the OP seemed to be concerned about getting through the day so my answer was tailored to that concern, mentioning specifically a protein and water.

Probably should have just said "don't skip breakfast." Might not occur to some, but to me I typically have to remind myself not to ;)

I eat oatmeal , eggs and fruit . When you said big breakfast I think cruise ship mentally for many.. which is waffles, breads.. and heaps of foods they have out in the morning . Picturing a person dragged out tired form over eating crap..LOL ~~

After I have taken a tour and before going back to the ship in some of the Caribbean ports, I enjoy watching cruise passengers filing through the agricultural inspection stations. There is usually a trained "sniffer" dog who sniffs the purses of passengers. No, the dog is not sniffing for drugs but for fruit or meats. The passengers sheepishly have to discard their food into waste containers.

After hundreds of Caribbean port visits I can honestly say I can't recall any sniffer dogs ever....

What ports are you referring to?

After hundreds of Caribbean port visits I can honestly say I can't recall any sniffer dogs ever....

"Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take ya

Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama

Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go, Jamaica

Off the Florida Keys, there's a place called Kokomo"

Can't speak for "snack" smelling dogs, but we have seen dogs mingling with the masses in Mexico, Bermuda, Antigua and a few other islands.

I understand the OP's very valid question.....however, I think it's clear that only prepackaged food items can be taken ashore.

For those suggesting they haven't seen sniffer dogs and implying that if you cheat, that's OK....The laws are in place for a good reason...the same reason we don't want unpackaged foods brought into florida, the US, Britain or elsewhere with various bugs, seeds, whatever.

No, we are not special in the US....let's respect other countries laws the way we expect them to obey ours.

Always in Cozumel and a port we were in last winter .. don't recall which one but was south for sure .. lots of food confiscated. I stood on deck 4 and watched for a while as we had a late tour. Quite entertaining!!

Lots of them...but we always laugh at Cozumel...usually we expect the risk of contraband going the other way...

Always in Cozumel and a port we were in last winter .. don't recall which one but was south for sure .. lots of food confiscated. I stood on deck 4 and watched for a while as we had a late tour. Quite entertaining!!

They had the cutist little sniffer dog in Cozumel last December.

Are we actually discussing going hungry on a cruise? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No.. just discussing a long excursion featuring only high carb probably white sugar laden snacks...as I diabetic I always bring pre packaged snacks..just in case no suitable food on the excursion..As mentioned almost anyone can have low blood sugar..but diabetics have to be very careful...

Thanks everyone - I guess I should have clarified.... I'm used to eating smaller snacks like fruit throughout the day & have lived in NC & now SW FL, I'm very familiar with how to pack snacks for the heat & the bug/disease issues with fresh fruit. Some hotels offer the pre-packaged granola bars, etc. they offer for a quick "grab & go" breakfast so just wondering about those. It's not our first cruise & certainly not our first trip to the islands, so we know there may be opportunities to stop for snacks & there may not... depends on the island, tour, etc. I'll be sure to pack some protein bars we like & go from there!