New Sign & Sail card delivery system??

John F

Just wondered if anyone has news of this new system. Someone just off the Splendor said that they did not get their sign & sail cards at check in and had to retrieve them from the mail box slot beside stateroom door. Had to show their passport and boarding pass along the way just get on the ship. Sounds very funny to me. I bet Carnival did not have the cards ready in time to give them to you at check. Any thoughts?? John F

Our last cruise was on Royal's Anthem of the seas that's the way they did it. You did all your set up at home on your computer we got too the port they had people all around with iPads we showed them our boarding pass answered a few questions then through security then ship to room one card was in mail box the other was in cabin. This sounds similar too what you said . As for being unsecure remember your belongings won't be in your cabin until you get there and then you will have the card,

If that's the case, how do they take your photo when you board the ship and hear the "DING" for the first time?

Could they be using your passport photo as your sail and sign photo? This system may be a pain for us, as my first stop is usually at guest services to put cash on our account, and they ask for the card then. Now we would have to stop at the cabin first. Ugh.

So does this mean that you have immediate access to the cabins then as you would have to go through the normally closed fire doors to get to your mail box? It seems to me they are losing alcohol buying opportunities this way too since you wouldn't have your card immediately upon entering the ship. Carnival never gives up money making opportunities so I think this might have been a test or a problem with the usual system.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

So does this mean that you have immediate access to the cabins then as you would have to go through the normally closed fire doors to get to your mail box? It seems to me they are losing alcohol buying opportunities this way too since you wouldn't have your card immediately upon entering the ship. Carnival never gives up money making opportunities so I think this might have been a test or a problem with the usual system.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Good point. How could you get that first funship special before you can get to your cabin? :D

Could they be using your passport photo as your sail and sign photo? This system may be a pain for us, as my first stop is usually at guest services to put cash on our account, and they ask for the card then. Now we would have to stop at the cabin first. Ugh.

My first stop is at the lobby or Lido bar for a welcome aboard drink. How do I pay for it? I hate to sound like a drunk but I know I am not alone here. Do we use credit cards or cash? Not being platinum or diamond, I don't get into the room until 1:30.

There's some explaination in the "Hurricane Matthew" Splendor thread.

I'll be on board at the end of the month and will include comments in my review. Since I can go straight to my cabin, though, I don't anticipate that it will make any difference at all in my cruise experience.

Those who don't have priority boarding but want to be on board before noon to start their consumption of alcohol may not like it if they can't get their cards right away because they can't get to their cabins! I like to grab my first turkey sub from the deli for lunch and wash it down with a Thirsty Frog. But if I had to, I could probably manage without alcohol for another hour or so. ;)

And, yes, if your card isn't there and you aren't priority, having to go stand in line at the always-busy-at-embarkation service desk would be an annoyance.

I really can't imagine that there will be lots of people boarding early running up and down the hallways stealing cards, though. Why would they? When the occupants arrive and the card isn't there, they'll go to the desk and get new ones and the old ones will be cancelled.

I was on this Splendor sailing. They used my horrible passport photo for the photo with my card. They couldn't scan my sister's passport photo, so she had her photo taken when they scanned her boarding pass.

Once we got the OK to go to our rooms, the cards were in the mailbox.

All through the cruise, my passport showed up when I got my soda. Her photo prior to boarding showed up when she did the same.

The cards came in a sealed envelope and said if tampered, report to guest services.

Ha! Since my passport is due for renewal next summer, the photo is over 9 years old. Not that I've aged any since then. ;) But it's got to be better than the ones they've taken at the port that past few cruises. Just hope that with the age difference they'll know it's me when they scan it. Hate to be left behind in one of the ports! :p

But seriously, folks. You can't manage for an hour without a drink? Just have a double when you finally get one!

There's some explaination in the "Hurricane Matthew" Splendor thread.

I'll be on board at the end of the month and will include comments in my review. Since I can go straight to my cabin, though, I don't anticipate that it will make any difference at all in my cruise experience.

Those who don't have priority boarding but want to be on board before noon to start their consumption of alcohol may not like it if they can't get their cards right away because they can't get to their cabins! I like to grab my first turkey sub from the deli for lunch and wash it down with a Thirsty Frog. But if I had to, I could probably manage without alcohol for another hour or so. ;)

And, yes, if your card isn't there and you aren't priority, having to go stand in line at the always-busy-at-embarkation service desk would be an annoyance.

I really can't imagine that there will be lots of people boarding early running up and down the hallways stealing cards, though. Why would they? When the occupants arrive and the card isn't there, they'll go to the desk and get new ones and the old ones will be cancelled.

Not many but some people will do it and order a bunch of quick drinks.

How does this make things work smoother on Carnivals end? Really seems like a pain for workers to have to put them in every box when they are trying to get rooms turned around.

Why is everything a pain for an employee to do the job they are told to do? How is it a pain?

Why can't a person go put money on their account? You go to desk, and say hey, I want to put money on my account, and they look it up and do so.

Getting a drink. Your boarding pass has the same info as the card. Just present the boarding pass to get you first drink.

You don't need the card for any of these items.

How many times on a ship, do you see an employee "write down" you folio number when you buy something. Did you need the card? Not really.

:D

Our last cruise was on Royal's Anthem of the seas that's the way they did it. You did all your set up at home on your computer we got too the port they had people all around with iPads we showed them our boarding pass answered a few questions then through security then ship to room one card was in mail box the other was in cabin. This sounds similar too what you said . As for being unsecure remember your belongings won't be in your cabin until you get there and then you will have the card,

What happens if someone takes your card and charges 10 drinks on your card?