Love Carnival, Love S. Caribbean Itinerary, Hate the Fascination

Cruisegoer

The cruise is very port intensive, therefore many people will book regardless of the ship just for the ports alone. The extensive time in port means very limited time aboard formguests to spend so why have all the bells and whistles when most are too exhausted to use them... the SJU market costs less to be competitive because airfare needs to be factored in and locals (which fill the ship in low season) and have a lower price point for cruising. Even with the lower price, the ship sails much of the time less than full. The competition is limited out of SJU whereas the markets from Florida and Texas are saturated and given the option, most people will choose any other ship above the fascination. And finally, given the lack of sea days, the demand for balcony cabins is low (people figure why spend the money as we will be on shore almost every day)? Finally, the short distances between the islands means that older ships can easily make these runs with less stress on the older engines and cost less in fuel. So I believe these are the factors taken into consideration. As long as The fascination is still in the fleet, it needs to be put SOMEWHERE and SJU is as good as any place!

You really gave a great explanation. Thanks for sharing!

I thought the reason why the Fascination was placed in SJ was that it sails full at 2,000 passenger capacity and Carnival was having difficulty filling the 3,000 passenger capacity of the Conquest class ships.

When I sailed the Destiny out of SJ, it was 5 ports in 7 days, so I don't get how this is so much more "port intensive" than a regular week long cruise with 4 ports.

I stopped booking the Fantasy class ships 10 yrs ago because I thought they were too old then. When Carnival's fares for the Fascination can be higher than other cruise lines at this port who throw in better perks, I think it's a wise decision

We did this itinerary last year on Liberty. By far our favorite cruise. We would love to do it again, but when we saw that the ship was the Fascination we didn't book it. We do look at itinerary first and then ship. I can tell you though, that when we sailed on Liberty we had about 400 dollars in on board credit, because of price drops. That's actually the biggest on board credit we've ever had. I'm personally hoping that they get a newer ship in there some day, so we can do this FABULOUS itinerary again.

We are doing the same run to Curacao and Aruba out of Pt Canaveral on Magic. See no reason to fly to PR to get on older ship.

Which port are you getting shortchanged on Curacao or Aruba?

Getting to one of the islands at 1pm is not ideal if you are a beach person.

I've asked this before but don't know why other cruise lines can get to both islands from FLL at 8 or 9am but Carnival can't?

Bill

I've asked this before but don't know why other cruise lines can get to both islands from FLL at 8 or 9am but Carnival can't?

Bill

I have seen it before also. My guess, and if I am wrong I am sure one of my fans will correct me, is that what days (of the week) that they are contracted to and that the logistics from FLL slots are already taken.

Ummmm, not sure what Hawaii cruise you were on, but there are 5 sea days....unless they moved some islands in between the west coast and Hawaii. I asked Carnival mgt and the answer was exactly what the OP said.

You know you could call them back 4 subsequent times and get an additional 4 different answers.

We are flying directly from Boston to San Juan and sailing the Fascination just for the itinerary. Florida has been cold for the last 2 February school vacations (I'm a teacher), which were beach vacations, not cruises. This time we opted to get as far south in the Caribbean as possible this February, where we hope to have sun and heat!

We look at itinerary first and ship second. We have not been on Carnival recently, but we are easy to please.

Thank you to those who posted positive comments. :)

We sailed out of San Juan on the Valor. One of our fav cruises. But we made the mistake of waiting to book flights last minute and prices were unreal. Made up for low amount we paid for the cruise. We had a nonstop flight from BWI to SJU. I think we paid close to $800. We would do it again but not on Fascination.

The cruise is very port intensive, therefore many people will book regardless of the ship just for the ports alone. The extensive time in port means very limited time aboard formguests to spend so why have all the bells and whistles when most are too exhausted to use them... the SJU market costs less to be competitive because airfare needs to be factored in and locals (which fill the ship in low season) and have a lower price point for cruising. Even with the lower price, the ship sails much of the time less than full. The competition is limited out of SJU whereas the markets from Florida and Texas are saturated and given the option, most people will choose any other ship above the fascination. And finally, given the lack of sea days, the demand for balcony cabins is low (people figure why spend the money as we will be on shore almost every day)? Finally, the short distances between the islands means that older ships can easily make these runs with less stress on the older engines and cost less in fuel. So I believe these are the factors taken into consideration. As long as The fascination is still in the fleet, it needs to be put SOMEWHERE and SJU is as good as any place!

Pretty much in line of what I was thinking. I imagine revenues on board a larger ship were down because of lack of use. That itinerary is exhausting, basically little down time once on board except try to relax for the next day.

Bill

The Magic sails from PC, not FLL. That's an extra 175 miles she has to sail. That's why she doesn't get there at 8am.

From those with experience, what type of airfare prices should we expect out of major airports (chicago, NY, Atlanta, etc)

Chicago to San Juan

About 18 months ago,we paid $159 pp and about 3 years ago we paid $129 pp each way. We flew in before the cruise and stayed after the cruise. If you fly the day before. Or the day of it is higher. If you fly home the day of debarkation, it is higher. It was cheaper for us to fly the Chicago to San Juan route than Chicago to FL.

I was looking at the Fascination for a cruise in april 2018 to celebrate my 40th bday and 5 year wedding anniversary. Loved the itinerary but really don't want to spend the $ plus flight, hotel etc to spend a week on a Fantasy class ship. My wife and I have done the 3 day cruise out of Long Beach on the Inspiration and 3 or 4 days is about the max I could take in a small OV room.

From those with experience, what type of airfare prices should we expect out of major airports (chicago, NY, Atlanta, etc)

We are on this cruise in November and got non-stop round trip from ORD to SJU for $400 a piece including upgrading seats to exit row ($65/per person) on American.

United had flights out of ORD for $400-$450 non-stop round trip as well.

I gotta say that I was one of those who was upset to learn that Carnival was downsizing from Conquest-class ships (Liberty and Valor before it) to a Fantasy-class in San Juan. But I just returned from sailing on her and consider this my resignation from the office of "no way" to start a new job at "why the heck not!!". Of course this is like the Twix candy commercials. There are two sides and one will not like the other. In this case there are two types of cruisers: those who sail for the destinations and those to whom the ship IS the destination and ports are just an added bonus or an opportunity to use the pools and whirlpools in peace while everyone is out of the ship.

If you're into getting off the ship and actually doing something in port and come back later in the afternoon or just before sail-away, you will have an awesome time in this ship. If, on the other hand, the ship is all you crave, you hardly debark at the ports of call or you're looking to do a gazillion things on the ship, this ship is not for you. Yes there is ALWAYS something to do and sometimes, especially at night, you might even have to choose to go do one thing and sacrifice another.

All I can say is we were off the ship before 8:30am everyday except one and back on board around 4pm, except that same day. I went to all shows, some comedies, hung out at one of the bars listening to the band, shopped, ect. and had a freakin' blast!! But...to each his own, I guess.

I gotta say that I was one of those who was upset to learn that Carnival was downsizing from Conquest-class ships (Liberty and Valor before it) to a Fantasy-class in San Juan. But I just returned from sailing on her and consider this my resignation from the office of "no way" to start a new job at "why the heck not!!". Of course this is like the Twix candy commercials. There are two sides and one will not like the other. In this case there are two types of cruisers: those who sail for the destinations and those to whom the ship IS the destination and ports are just an added bonus or an opportunity to use the pools and whirlpools in peace while everyone is out of the ship.

If you're into getting off the ship and actually doing something in port and come back later in the afternoon or just before sail-away, you will have an awesome time in this ship. If, on the other hand, the ship is all you crave, you hardly debark at the ports of call or you're looking to do a gazillion things on the ship, this ship is not for you. Yes there is ALWAYS something to do and sometimes, especially at night, you might even have to choose to go do one thing and sacrifice another.

All I can say is we were off the ship before 8:30am everyday except one and back on board around 4pm, except that same day. I went to all shows, some comedies, hung out at one of the bars listening to the band, shopped, ect. and had a freakin' blast!! But...to each his own, I guess.

Interesting post, I thought exactly what you thought when they announced the Fascination going there. So much so, I emailed the area Carnival manger to ask the same question. The response I received was that they felt that this cruise was so port intensive that they thought the type of ship was not all that important. Go figure.....

Stinger-pr,

Please don't flame but how strict were they in the adult comedy show? Our daughter will be two months shy of 18, traveling with us, her aunt and both male cousins who are over 18. We've been on ships that did not card and one that did during the adult comedy show. Just wondered if you saw them carding on the Freedom.

Stinger-pr,

Please don't flame but how strict were they in the adult comedy show? Our daughter will be two months shy of 18, traveling with us, her aunt and both male cousins who are over 18. We've been on ships that did not card and one that did during the adult comedy show. Just wondered if you saw them carding on the Freedom.

I have seen them ask people to leave but not by checking sign and sail. If you were with her I doubt it would be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen them ask people to leave but not by checking sign and sail. If you were with her I doubt it would be an issue.

Correct. I've usually seen where before the show they ask all under 18 year olds to leave. At 2 months shy they will not know. They are looking for the obvious kids to clear out.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting post, I thought exactly what you thought when they announced the Fascination going there. So much so, I emailed the area Carnival manger to ask the same question. The response I received was that they felt that this cruise was so port intensive that they thought the type of ship was not all that important. Go figure.....

My inquiry regarding the ship certainly isn't because I don't get off of it but because the dining selections on Fantasy class ships are much less appealing than on their larger ships, plus many guests desire balcony cabins these days and they are in short supply on these older ships. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

plus many guests desire balcony cabins these days and they are in short supply on these older ships. JMHO

Carnival missed a great opportunity with the Fantasy's dry dock earlier this year to add balcony cabins, especially at the aft of the ship. For example, U228 is an aft balcony on Fascination and Elation, but not on Fantasy, even though the room is in the exact same position on all three ships.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note7 using Tapatalk. Hey, do you smell anything burning?

My inquiry regarding the ship certainly isn't because I don't get off of it but because the dining selections on Fantasy class ships are much less appealing than on their larger ships, plus many guests desire balcony cabins these days and they are in short supply on these older ships. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My guess is that there are only so many dry dock opportunities to add some of the those venues. The nicer ones (Steakhouse, Cucina and JiJi's) have not been added, think it is more legitimate. Does not address your concern directly, just wanted to give the rationale for the why.

Matches our experience exactly (well, we were back on board earlier but enjoyed time in the pool without crowds when we did).

I am looking forward to reading some positive reviews-

I have been looking forward to this cruise for years and now I am concern I chose CARNIVAL,

I understand this is a older ship which disappoints me but I figure i will be in port a lot of days.

now negative reviews are coming in

I found reviews on another site and it said the pool was broker a couple days - there was a smell on the ship on a sailing - other things were not working either and the staff was exhausted-

It didn't seem like complainers it seemed like a couple people on the last two cruises had difficulty-

Im hoping this ship holds up lol