Lost scooter on Grandeur of the Seas

My parents were on the October 8th Grandeur of the Seas sailing out of Baltimore. They rented scooters for two of our family members who have limited mobility. When they returned to Baltimore on the 13th, ship security would not allow them to take the scooters off the ship to the designated location the scooter company requested. When the scooter company came to pick them up they were no where to be found. Royal Caribbean has sent numerous messages to the ship with no response. The pier claims they do not have the scooters. Meanwhile my parents are being charged daily for these scooters. The rental company has said they will be charging the full price of both scooters to my parents on Monday. Has anyone experienced an issue like this before? Any advice on who else we could contact to find the scooters? The scooter company is doing nothing to help except threaten to charge the full cost and Royal Caribbean Lost and Found just keeps saying they've sent messages to the ship with no response.

That's what I have said too but RCCL has not been helpful. They keep responding saying they've sent messages to the ship but they have not responded. The ship returns to Baltimore tomorrow so we are hopeful that we might get some news then.

QUOTE=Ocean Dancer;51375615]This is nuts!! The ships video cameras know where they are.:cool:

Why wouldn't they let them take them off the ship? People ride them off all the time. There are plenty of cruisers who bring their own onboard which a rental from an outside company might as well be.

Why wouldn't they let them take them off the ship? People ride them off all the time. There are plenty of cruisers who bring their own onboard which a rental from an outside company might as well be.

I'm thinking that security may have thought the scooters were from one of the companies recommended by Royal where the scooters are left on the ship.

I'm thinking that security may have thought the scooters were from one of the companies recommended by Royal where the scooters are left on the ship.

This is what I am thinking too, and Lenox Medical likely didn't board the ship to retrieve the scooters. CareVacations and Special Needs at Sea both require that the scooters remain on board after the cruise. I hope this gets resolved to your family's satisfaction, Ruminthemorning. I think it is ridiculous that RCI can't get a response from their own ship! :rolleyes:

Must have been paperwork indicating that they need to be returned somewhere on shore. I would not have left the ship without

There is a very good chance that either Care Vacations or Special Needs at Sea has possession of the two missing scooters. I would try calling both of those companies to see if they can help at all.

[emoji15] that's insane!!! I'm sorry that happened to you guys. Why wouldn't the ship let you take them off the ship? Was the ship somehow responsible for the scooters? If so, shouldn't the liability for the scooters be placed on RC? I can't believe that nobody from the ship is responding to the home office, I would escalate this to the resolutions department ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're welcome.:). I have had a response over the weekend in the past so I would not wait until Monday to send it off. Hope thongs work out OK.

"Thongs" usually work out pretty well [emoji23] Perhaps the grands should show up to the port in thongs, surely they will get someone from the ship to listen to them then.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

My parents were on the October 8th Grandeur of the Seas sailing out of Baltimore. They rented scooters for two of our family members who have limited mobility. When they returned to Baltimore on the 13th, ship security would not allow them to take the scooters off the ship to the designated location the scooter company requested. When the scooter company came to pick them up they were no where to be found. Royal Caribbean has sent numerous messages to the ship with no response. The pier claims they do not have the scooters. Meanwhile my parents are being charged daily for these scooters. The rental company has said they will be charging the full price of both scooters to my parents on Monday. Has anyone experienced an issue like this before? Any advice on who else we could contact to find the scooters? The scooter company is doing nothing to help except threaten to charge the full cost and Royal Caribbean Lost and Found just keeps saying they've sent messages to the ship with no response.

Did you not have the rental agreement from the company to show security that the scooters were not from CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea? Was the scooter marked with the rental company name and phone number ? If so did no one get on the phone to the rental company and explain everything to the ships security? Regrettably the fact that your parents relinquished the scooters over to the Ships Security that does make them responsible for the replacement cost. The rental agreement regardless if it's from one of RCCL's approved vendors or an outside vender such as the one your parents use holds the renter responsible for all damage and lost costs.

The only reason that the Ships Security would stop them from taking the scooter of is if the scooter had the large stickers denoting CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea. Being that there is always a large amount of rental scooters on board and that the number one rental scooter is the Pride Go there's also another thing to consider. The Pride GoGo scooter key is not unique as car keys are and can operate any Pride GoGo. So the possibility does exist that sometime during the cruise your parents mistakenly took other passengers scooters that were rented from CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSeas.

If this is what happened it most likely occurred when the waiters parked the scooters during dinner. I always place a cruise line luggage tag as well as tie a bright neon green scarf on mine to make certain that I get the right scooter returned. Even if this is what happened to your parents unfortunately the fault is not RCCL's as it was your parents responsibility to check that they got the correct scooter.

Hope you reach a resolution to this matter.

Why not leave it in the cabin.

Why not leave it in the cabin.

Because the company they rented from does not have an association with RCI as has been previously stated in this thread, which you obviously did not read all the way through. No one can just go on a ship and take something off. RCI allows the two companies mentioned to do so, but that's it.

And, I agree with davidhurt, I would not have just gotten off the ship either without them. Did they request to talk to someone else besides the deck security? Guest Services would have been one place I would have requested to talk to.

Edited by BND

It sounds like they were just being too trusting. The RC employee sounded like the authority and your grandparents thought they must know what they're doing, so instead of asking questions or asserting their own knowledge of that they were told to do, they gave in and handed them over.

It's possible that the RC employees turned them in to one of those other companies, which might very well have the 2 scooters sitting in a warehouse somewhere because they don't know where they belong; perhaps you should call those other 2 companies and see if they have 2 extra scooters.

It is an unfortunate situation, especially since RC is giving you no help, but I have to agree with the other people who have said that it really probably is your grandparents fault. As adults they should have known better than to leave rented items without getting a receipt that they turned them in, or should not have allowed someone to tell them to leave the scooters on the ship when it was their clear understanding that they were supposed to take them somewhere else. At the very least, they could have gone to the drop off place and told them that they were not allowed to bring the scooters off the ship, and let them know where they were.

I can see how they put faith in the process and left them there though, and I'm sorry it didn't work out, I hope that you track them down before they are forced to pay for them, but I'm not sure they'll really have much recourse if they are charged, since it is, in hindsight, their fault. I guess life lessons continue to be learned at all ages.

Edited by ColoradoGurl