Nearest Airport from port in New York

lrockwitt

We flew in and out of LGA two weeks ago on a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn and we heard this also but found it to not be that big of an issue. Took about 40 minutes to Southern Manhattan and about the same to LGA from port! Typical NYC traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. We sailed into Red Hook (Brooklyn) from Boston on the transatlantic voyage and flew out of LGA using the Princess transfer. Traffic wasn't bad and the check in at LGA was smooth and quick at the Delta terminal.

We did a TA that ended in Brooklyn last month. We had booked a flight on EZair that departed LGA at 12:45 pm and had seen the warnings so we used the Princess shuttle to the airport. We did not use walk off and along with the traffic warnings had us alarmed but then we had Princess shuttle and airline tickets bought through Princess. We were off the ship and boarding the shuttle by 9. We arrived at the terminal for AA and were at the boarding gate in plenty of time. One interesting thing that did happen was that the shuttle driver did not know which terminal AA used and had to drive around the airport looking for it. He had stopped and asked a policeman where to go! That made for a bit of anxiety but again we were in the hands of Princess so it was their problem (also I am platinum on AA).

We also arrived in NYC last October and were suppose to debark in Brooklyn. However several days before we ended the cruise we were notified we were going to debark in NJ! We quickly bought a transfer from Princess which was good since there did not seem to be many if any taxis waiting for our ship. That cruise we were staying in Manhattan and we were dropped off at Penn Station which as it turned out was one block from our hotel so we simply walked to it.

Satxdiver thank you for the info. ..I am feeling better and wondering if I should just keep with our original plan of the SW 12:25 flight out of LGA (on our own )then use the princess shuttle

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Skip the shuttle and just grab a cab or uber. A lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or use a car service.

Set price-no meter.

As mentioned earlier we used CarMel Limo, had a flat rate for a minivan since we had four people and six bags. $55 flat rate plus tip. Cab or Uber rates were higher, if not mistaken. I agree avoid the shuttle since they have to stop at various locations, time consuming?

Edited by mllewis48

Shuttle is part of the pkg, really don't want to pay twice for the ride by paying for it through the ship then on our own.

I understand that sentiment, but you need to factor in the airport layout when you are picking your flights. E.g., when you enter JFK you are on a very large loop road that hits the terminals in numerical order, and the Princess shuttle will go to each of them in turn -- if you are flying Delta out of Terminal 2, the Princess Shuttle will be almost as quick as a cab [once it actually leaves the Cruise Terminal ...] -- but if you are flying out of Terminal 4, you will have several stops that can really add up if the drop-off lanes are doing their impression of LA rush hour traffic! Similar situation at LGA, where Delta is very well situated in what would be numbered Terminal 1, but all other airlines are in a much more congested area. And EWR?--fuhgedaboudit! Too many bridges and other possible congestion points from Brooklyn. Given my druthers to fly from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to LAX, I would pick: #1 Delta out of LGA, and #2 Delta out of JFK [but I really like Delta because of their international service].

We flew in and out of LGA two weeks ago on a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn and we heard this also but found it to not be that big of an issue. Took about 40 minutes to Southern Manhattan and about the same to LGA from port! Typical NYC traffic.

Did you use a car service out of LGA to Manhattan and is so which one.

We are on the Regal 27 Oct out of Brooklyn.

Thanks

Jazz, it was actually Southwest out of LGA and Delta out of JFK. We had taken the princess shuttle before to LGA and it was no issue with them making the stop at other terminals. I believe SW is out of Terminal 2 in LGA. I wasn't so much worried about the shuttle stopping but more of the traffic getting to LGA which is why we jumped to go out of JFK, but now people are saying that TSA there is horrible in T4 which is where our flight says it will depart from..others suggested checking in at T2 and then taking the jitney to T4....I wish I could just transport myself there. poof like a Genie! It now also depends on the flights...so far Delta is opening for Sunday higher than the price I saw which made me think of using them.......if the price is not right we will be having to decide all over again. we did fly out of EWR this year and it was rather quick of course we flew SW, but got through security quickly...would have been quicker had the box of Bermuda fudge not been in the carryon and got us pulled over for a closer look in our carryon....once TSA decided it wasn't explosives we were set to go ....that added about 20 min to our TSA time....lesson learned gifts will now be keychains, t-shirts etc...no more boxed fudge!

Did you use a car service out of LGA to Manhattan and is so which one.

We are on the Regal 27 Oct out of Brooklyn.

Thanks

Yes we used Carmel from LGA to the Marriott lower Manhattan, about 40 minutes and a flat cost of $50 plus tip for a minivan since we had four plus bags. I checked cab and Uber, Carmel was much less. When we got our bags at the airport we called to say we were ready, picked up in less than 10 minutes. Reserved in advance using their APP.

Question from a local and one who frequents the area:

We will be arriving at the princess Brooklyn pier on a sunday at 7:15am we had originally planned on booking a 12:25 flight out of LGA via Southwest but heard of the construction...so here are our 3 options...which would be less stress...don't want to stress after the cruise about making flight:

ship arrives 7:15 am

SW 12:25pm out of LGA-1 stop

delta 1:45 out of JFK-nonstop

united 2:50 out of EWR-nonstop

We just finished a cruise yesterday (10/27) and used Princess Shuttle to get to LGA. We were in the first group after walk offs. Had no problems making a 10:55 flight on Delta.

We just finished a cruise yesterday (10/27) and used Princess Shuttle to get to LGA. We were in the first group after walk offs. Had no problems making a 10:55 flight on Delta.

How did you swing that...I thought princess would not do the shuttle for you unless your flight was 12:15 or later?

How did you swing that...I thought princess would not do the shuttle for you unless your flight was 12:15 or later?

I'm confused too. If it was a Princess Transfer they would have been marshaled to one of the public rooms and taken down together to the bus. When we disembarked the CB earlier this month, Princess advised that they would only accept Transfer requests from those with flights after 13:15 to JFK and 12:15 to LaGuardia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also curious if anyone knows what happened at LGA last night. A friend of mine who just did the same cruise I am doing next year emailed me about where he flew out of and then asked if I heard what happened at LGA last night...I said no what...haven't heard back...:confused:

Also curious if anyone knows what happened at LGA last night. A friend of mine who just did the same cruise I am doing next year emailed me about where he flew out of and then asked if I heard what happened at LGA last night...I said no what...haven't heard back...:confused:

VP nominee Mike Pence's plane ran off the runway.

YIKES! I go to bed early and get up early for work so not much news is on when I am getting ready. Was it due to the construction or just a simple plane malfunction?:eek:

No word on a cause yet. Looked on the video like it had been raining pretty good, but still no excuse to run out of runway. :rolleyes:

YIKES! I go to bed early and get up early for work so not much news is on when I am getting ready. Was it due to the construction or just a simple plane malfunction?:eek:

Early reports show the Pilot overshot the runway!

The plane went through 80 of the concrete barricades meant to stop any plane at the runway end. Says no damage to the plane?

Edited by mllewis48