Tipping

jefa

As you can see from all the above comments, we are as confused as you are.:)
:)

Now you know why I have never taken the auto-tips off!! At least I know what I am going to be paying. Our transfers have been prepaid.

Oh well, I'll just take an average of what everyone has said above I think.

I will start with saying this is NOT about the auto-tips which I have never removed.

Being from Europe and British I am confused about tipping hotel personnel, shuttle drivers, porters, bar staff etc.

We have two days in Miami before boarding, do we need to tip our transfer drivers, the maids in our hotel, the bar staff if we go for a drink etc etc. Also the porters when we embark? If so how much is acceptable?

TIA

1)The transfer driver: $1 per bag if they load & unload them for you.

2)Maids: No tips, unless they perform some special service(keep it clean, guys!)We DO tip when staying in a small inn or B&B, as wages are lower than larger city hotels.

3)Bar Staff: Usually $1 per drink

4)Ahhh, the porters: At the port they load the bags onto the carriers for the cruise lines. This IS their job. Figure $1 per bag. When you disembark, that's where they can really earn their tips. We had one get us through customs(my partner had PKD at the time)in less than 5 min. This was at a full terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. They can really be helpful at this point. We had 4 bags, plus the Peritoneal Dialysis for my partner, quite a mobile machine. The size of a small carryon. I gave him $40 as I felt he really helped.

Edited by keithm
additions

Yes you should tip all the people you mentioned. It is best to tip the hotel maid daily, as it's not always the same person for your entire stay and therefore one person may get nothing while the next one gets double. I think $2-$3 per night is acceptable. I'm surprised US residents would not know to do this, it's very standard. Bar tipping is $1-$2 per drink depending on what you got and how nice the bar/restaurant is. Porters, $5 per bag, or if you're paranoid about not getting your luggage like me, even more, lol. Taxi/car service is 15-20%. Those are my standards (living in NY), anyway. I think it's always nice to lean on the generous side if you can afford it, all these people work hard to make your vacation enjoyable.

Exactly. Tip hotel housekeeping $2-3 per night, daily, and then porters, bell staff, valets, bartenders, servers, as appropriate.

We tip all of the above! We appreciate everything that's done for us, and we have the means to tip. We can afford to stay in a nice hotel and take a nice cruise, why would we begrudge anyone who helped us a few dollars?

In hotels, the bellmen should be tipped (if you use them) $1-2 per bag. Maid/housekeeper is to be tipped $5 per night, at least!

Shuttle drivers...maybe $2pp....if they are there when you get off. Sometimes, they aren't around...and I'm not searching them out.

OF COURSE you tip bar staff! And RESTAURANT staff! If you go to the bar and get your own drink, $1 per order is fine. If you have table service, the 15-20% of the tab is expected. In a restaurant, 15-20% of the tab is the normal tip.

I will start with saying this is NOT about the auto-tips which I have never removed.

Being from Europe and British I am confused about tipping hotel personnel, shuttle drivers, porters, bar staff etc.

We have two days in Miami before boarding, do we need to tip our transfer drivers, the maids in our hotel, the bar staff if we go for a drink etc etc. Also the porters when we embark? If so how much is acceptable?

TIA

If they do something special for you can you can if you wish.

I don't tip hotel maids. I do tip bartenders or waiters/waitresses in the bar who deliver drinks but only $1 - not $1 per drink. That's nuts. My daughter knows several bar waitresses here in town and, in addition to their regular wages, they can make up to $500 in a single night on tips. That is crazy!

Tipping in the US is out of hand. It used to be a reward for exceptional service but it's now become "expected" for minimal service. Even incredibly lousy service expects a tip.

Hi Thrak,

The only tip anyone gives me on the Rowboat is don't stand up. :eek:

All kidding aside tipping in the US is getting out of hand. JMO sorry.

Tony

Hi Thrak,

The only tip anyone gives me on the Rowboat is don't stand up. :eek:

All kidding aside tipping in the US is getting out of hand. JMO sorry.

Tony

No arguments from me.

First time I came across it 10% was for great service, now it seems 18-25% is near on normal, that twice (or more the rate of inflation) most wage or salary earners I know are lucky to keep up with inflation.

And then the range of those who you are expected to tip seems to grow by the month.

TIA

Yes, to all the above. Even if you go to Starbucks here in the US or fast food places, they all seem to have tip jars. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slight thread drift, but my objection to the 20%+ tips expected in the US for waitstaff, is that the tip is determined by the price of my meal. Why should I tip twice as much if I have a $50 steak, compared to a $25 burger - the work involved by the waiter is exactly the same. If people are happy to give a house maid $5 regardless of the price of the room, why should a waiter be treated differently?

Slight thread drift, but my objection to the 20%+ tips expected in the US for waitstaff, is that the tip is determined by the price of my meal. Why should I tip twice as much if I have a $50 steak, compared to a $25 burger - the work involved by the waiter is exactly the same. If people are happy to give a house maid $5 regardless of the price of the room, why should a waiter be treated differently?

Something I've never understood either.

TIA

First of all, I feel the OP should be COMMENDED for making the effort to inquire as to tipping customs in the USA.

I live in South Florida, and each year about this time, we are plagued by "visitors who drive across the USA border" to spend time here. My remarks are based upon COMMONPLACE HABITS commented NEGATIVELY by the VAST MAJORITY of service personal in the restaurant industry. Personally, I've seen a thirty-five cent tip ($0.35) left by a couple where their dinner check was easily $25.00. It seems these particular visitors just don't care to embrace the customs; press them and they claim not to speak the language either.

That aside, again, praise to the OP for asking. Sadly, so many have varying opinions on what's proper in their eyes, that I can see the OP being more confused.

I looked it up... ironically, the concept of tipping came from Europe. A "TIP" was "To Insure Promptitude." And that aligns from what I remember being taught years ago: one tipped IN ADVANCE to insure good service.

You can read that in the USA tipping is for positions of employment where it's "usual and customary" and sadly it's become so OUT OF HAND, that even this has become blurred. I've been places where I've seen a tip jar next to the cash register... for what or for whom???

So let's back up and look at overall COMPENSATION. In the USA, employers are permitted to pay employees in positions where it is "usual and customary" for the employee to receive tips, a wage of $2.01 per hour. That's despite a current FEDERAL minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. The spread between the two is known as the "tip credit" the difference per hour that "tipped employees" are expected to earn through tips from patrons.

Now as Thrak pointed out, he's heard of bartenders making $500 in a night. I will defend these personally unknown bartenders and put this into perspective. For an eight hour shift, that's close to $65 per hour. And while that may SEEM a lot... it's PROBABLY for a busy Friday or Saturday night when they are working hard... and most likely not for the other three weeknights that encompass their five day work week. Think of the slow nights when during an 8 hour shift the bartender may only take home $30 in cash tips.

Also, bartenders are expected to "tip out" to their barbacks, the service personnel that help stock them during the shift.

Speaking from experience working over a decade in the hotel industry (though decades ago) there are certain positions where tip credits were taken and the employees were expected to earn tips: restaurant waitstaff, bar staff including cocktail servers and bartenders, doormen, and bellmen.

The following positions MAY receive gratuities, but they were paid a wage commensurate with their responsibilities and the competitiveness of the area:

-Van Drivers (shuttle service to/from airport and local points of interest)

-Front Desk staff (questionable practice used by guests to in theory "buy" a room upgrade)

-Concierge (customary for making special arrangements)

With respect to housekeepers (whom we never called "maids") they received an hourly wage to clean 16 rooms during their shift. The wage was competitive. And if they were asked to clean more rooms, they were compensated in addition to their hourly wage with a flat fee for every "extra" room they cleaned.

Knowing this, I was pretty shocked years later when I would see tip envelopes in a hotel room as a guest: "Hi, my name is _______ and I will be cleaning your room." WHAT? I thought a clean room came with the price of the room. Now if I make a special request for extra towels or something to be delivered to the room, then yes, I'll provide a gratuity.

I have a friend who is a Hotel General Manager of a mid-scale chain, and he always leaves a tip for the housekeeper. His attitude: "they work hard and they deserve more." But obviously the employer doesn't feel that's the case.

So there's two conflicting "opinions" on housekeepers.

For restaurant personnel, this is what had been customary for most of my adult life:

15% for standard and adequate service

20% for good service

10% - 12% if it's a buffet where you're essentially serving yourself.

Today, however, don't be surprised to see "suggested" tips calculated for you at the bottom of your tab. The daring ones will display percentages starting at 18% and sometimes go up to 22%.

Specifically to Miami and tourist areas, examine your tab thoroughly, as some establishments automatically add a gratuity. Yet, even with this added to your total, your credit card receipt will have a subtotal and a line to fill in a tip. If you're not sure, it's NEVER an awkward question to ask if the gratuity is included: it indicates that you are concerned enough to (glass half full here) ensure about compensation to the waitstaff.

Oh, and to comply with terms of CC, let me draw the contrast to Princess. On board you know that all food and beverage tabs have an automatic gratuity, yet it is not uncommon to for some to leave an extra $1.00 or so IN CASH. I do, following the principle of my GM friend: "they work so hard and deserve more." Now of course that's an opinion and practice not shared by all, left to you to decide what you feel is appropriate.

Oh, and final note.... the porters in the port who have made a science out of tossing you bag with one hand onto that nearby card while their other hand is out expecting a tip....certainly a "tip for what?" question in my mind... grease their palm. I would after reading so many accounts on here that make me understand that it's NOT a tip so much as it's an insurance premium, so that you bag finds its way to your cabin as you expect.

Happy Sailing!

Tbh I don't think I'd want to try and live on the Federal minimum wage or given that I live in California - our State's minimum wage (currently $10/hr). And I certainly wouldn't want to try and subsist by relying on the Federal minimum tipped wage as a base.

For those interested, look here: https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Factor in the cost of living, housing, healthcare(!), etc and that by most European standards the social safety net here has pretty large holes in it, it is obvious that a large percentage of those in low-wage jobs in the hospitality industry are going to be reliant on tips to get by.

But yes, the tipping culture is a bit out of control here, bur don't blame those seeking tips.

We are from a big city where tips tend to be more:

Maids - for two-three people 5$ a day on night stand (If you stay more than one night do this each day because somethings different maids do the room).

Bell Hop - $5.00 unless I have a lot of bags, then its more.

Car Valet - $5.00 when I leave it and $5 when I pick it up. (I want my car taken care of)

Bar Staff - 20% of drink; minimum a $1.00

Porters - $2/bag; minimum of $5.00

Taxi - 15% of fare + $1 per bag. If the fare is low, then I usually add a little more

Restaurants - 20% of amount for waitress (if there are a several bus boys, then I usually tip 25% since they usually get a piece of the tip); if you are at a really nice restaurant with a sommelier, s/he gets $5; No need to tip the host

Hope this helps.

Julie

Jon Stewart.

I would definitely tip if Jon Stewart were my steward!!

We don't really understand America tipping customs, either, being Australian, but tip all folks involved in hospitality, including housekeeping. Sometimes the housekeeping staff take the money, sometimes not. We may tip too much when we leave a fiver on the bed, but we get lovely little thank you notes and the housekeepers sometimes thank us personally if we are hanging around the hotel room when they come to clean, which is very nice.

I am glad the Emerald Princess cruise we'll be on leaving from Australia has tipping included as part of the fare, as far as I can figure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums