What if Suitcase is Over 50 lbs?

ready2cruzagain

I was just reading and seen that NCL states that you can only have 2 pieces of luggage and they can not be over 50 lbs.

We will be cruising for 3 weeks and each of us have one large suitcase (mine has gone over 50 lbs more than once), a garment bag, and a carry on bag.

What happens if we take 3 bags each and if one goes over 50 lbs?

I was just reading and seen that NCL states that you can only have 2 pieces of luggage and they can not be over 50 lbs.

We will be cruising for 3 weeks and each of us have one large suitcase (mine has gone over 50 lbs more than once), a garment bag, and a carry on bag.

Why, why, why? LOL It's 7 days. Wife and I packed in 1 suitcase and 1 carryon for the BOTH of us.

But to your question the porters don't weigh the bags and once they are in the container to load NCL certainly doesn't weigh them.

You will be good IMO.

Why, why, why? LOL It's 7 days. Wife and I packed in 1 suitcase and 1 carryon for the BOTH of us.

But to your question the porters don't weigh the bags and once they are in the container to load NCL certainly doesn't weigh them.

You will be good IMO.

No, its a month of packing for me, going on Epic 2 weeks then jumping over to the Sunshine, not to mention the days before and after. There is no way I could pack for a month with 1 suitcase and 1 carry on. :eek:

Thanks for the answer, makes me feel better!

Question has come up before: never heard of them actually weighing the luggage but if you are over 50 lbs, you will pay the extra when you fly won't you? We are about to sail on a 7 day cruise plus 2 days before and 2 days after: we are taking one roller board each plus a small carry on each: me, a large purse, hubby a shaving kit type. We plan on depending on having our laundry done on board.

Question has come up before: never heard of them actually weighing the luggage but if you are over 50 lbs, you will pay the extra when you fly won't you? We are about to sail on a 7 day cruise plus 2 days before and 2 days after: we are taking one roller board each plus a small carry on each: me, a large purse, hubby a shaving kit type. We plan on depending on having our laundry done on board.

No worries about the airlines, we are driving. I hate flying.

The Sunshine will have washers and dryers so you might be able to pack for two weeks instead of three. There will be a bag of laundry deal during your first cruise.

It depends on how much you want to lug around. I am a fan of packing light.

DW and I pack one suitcase each and we always combine a land trip with a cruise. Our suitcases have gone a bit over 50 lbs, say as much as 54 lbs and Delta doesn't create a fuss over just going over. If you close to 60 lbs then you may have a problem. Can you transfer some stuff into a carry on. I take an empty carry on of modest size in my large suitcase, in case we buy stuff on the trip. Of course, if you already have a carry on that is not an option.

I suggest that you plan do having some laundry done on the ship and take less.

The weight is not a problem. Tip the porter and your bags will make it to your stateroom. The bigger challenge will be 6 bags and three people in a room.

The Sunshine will have washers and dryers so you might be able to pack for two weeks instead of three. There will be a bag of laundry deal during your first cruise.

It depends on how much you want to lug around. I am a fan of packing light.

We get free laundry on Carnival so will be doing laundry the third week but no way would I send anything I would hate to get ruined to their laundry. They have a tendency to over dry IMHO. Had a shirt come back with a hole in it once due to the heat from the dryer.

We are away from New Zealand for 7 weeks and I carry lots of coins bought cheap in NZ for banking in Canada, the USA and the UK. We have a case and a large backpack each of which weighs 22.7KG (50lb); two smaller backpacks in which we have a tablet (bout 5KG each) and also carry my wife's handbag.

We manage with that so surely 2 x 50lb with breaks and laundry should be sufficient.

Remember that if a wharfie injures himself lifting your bag the port regulations state that when he falls the bag MUST go over the side into the drink!!! :D There is an alternative though; if he is too far from the side of the wharf there must be a fork-lift handy. NO, not to lift it, but to drive over it.

I am trying to understand why it's necessary to scold the OP about traveling with 50 lb bags. And then, of course, touting the fact you can pack for a month in a Barbie lunch box!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hahaha funny! The scolding doesn't bother me, at this age, I am not going to change.

I just wanted to know what would happen if I did go over 50 lbs and more than 2 bags.

I now have my answer.:D

hahaha funny! The scolding doesn't bother me, at this age, I am not going to change.

I just wanted to know what would happen if I did go over 50 lbs and more than 2 bags.

I now have my answer.:D

We did A week in the keys. Then a 7 day western. Followed up with a 12 day repo.

7 bags no problem. :D

I believe the weight restrictions are for the porters and stewards , so they don't strain their backs carrying heavy cases. Some of those stewards are tiny women.

Does your case have wheels?

I've never seen anyone weighing bags at port.

If you are flying there is usually an over weight counter where they put a sticker on your case and usually you have to pay extra. If you are not flying this won't be an issue.

If you are driving to port why not split luggage in two. Leave half in the car and swap luggage when changing ships, you should have plenty of time 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Obviously your husband is hauling the luggage, if you had to lug it I'm sure you would have second thoughts.

My mother in law law over packs, example 3 camera's so when she arrives to stay over before cruise we go through her suit cases and take stuff out while she watches and reduce to one suit case.

Obviously your husband is hauling the luggage, if you had to lug it I'm sure you would have second thoughts.

My mother in law law over packs, example 3 camera's so when she arrives to stay over before cruise we go through her suit cases and take stuff out while she watches and reduce to one suit case.

Why not three cameras? I have a waterproof camera, a wifi enabled camera that takes better photos than the waterproof one, and my iphone. If one camera stops working, I am not buying another one on the ship. I always have a backup. Photos are important for me, others maybe not so much.

There is no "weight limit" on the ship....as long as it can be lifted, it's fine. Most cruise lines say 200 lb PER PERSON...but I can't imagine anyone needing that much!!!

It's really only the airlines that limit your luggage weight. No worries!

Why not three cameras? I have a waterproof camera, a wifi enabled camera that takes better photos than the waterproof one, and my iphone. If one camera stops working, I am not buying another one on the ship. I always have a backup. Photos are important for me, others maybe not so much.

I forgot to mention that she didn't use one.

There is no "weight limit" on the ship....as long as it can be lifted, it's fine. Most cruise lines say 200 lb PER PERSON...but I can't imagine anyone needing that much!!!

It's really only the airlines that limit your luggage weight. No worries!

Not true. According to the NCL FAQ:

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds.

But I don't think the baggage handlers care.

I often travel without my husband to visit my daughter two flights, a twin otter and 6000 miles away, and "lug" 2 x 23kg no problem -

I get a luggage cart - can lift 23kg up and down no problem - I can move 25kg polystyrene boxes of fish around here at home (with nylon tiers cutting into my fingers as I lift them!) - a suitcase is a piece of cake!

Sexist remark - you owe we ladies an apology sir... :p