upgrading cabin at embarkation?

tinaincc

Hi there - new to Oceania and was wondering about the likelihood of upgrading cabins the day of sailing. I have done it twice with RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anything is possible but IMO it is very unlikely.

I have never seen it - all upgrading/upselling tends to be done before sailing.

Never hurts to ask, although these decisions are made by home office rather than the ship's staff (AFAIK)

Adding - if you are interested in an upsell, tell your TA what you are interested in and for how much (max) and that way your TA can accept the offer if it comes before someone else takes it.

RCCL ships are much larger and the odds of having an available cabin for upgrade are much better

Edited by Paulchili

I would say never gonna happen

Weren't you the one that was put in a Vista or Owner's Suite on embarkation day from a lower cabin? Or maybe that's someone else I'm thinking of.

Weren't you the one that was put in a Vista or Owner's Suite on embarkation day from a lower cabin? Or maybe that's someone else I'm thinking of.

That was the result of a phone call to my fabulous wife from the then president of Oceania about two days prior to embarkation. It was maiden cruise of regatta post refurb and since he was only going to be on board two days he though a loyal o cruiser might enjoy the experience of a vista. Has caused us to book upper suites so in the end a smart marketing job lol

Not exactly what the op is hoping for

I still say never gonna happen

Just ask at Reception upon arrival. If they have some availability you might be able to make an offer. If they can maximize revenue easily you both can benefit.

One sailing we had already settled into our cabin when we were phoned with an upsell offer. The offer was not very enticing, we had already unpacked, and was relaxing a bit after a long trip so we declined. I don't know if they would have accepted a counter offer but was too tired to bother with negotiating. Easier to just decline. Had the offer been a little sweeter it might have been easier to just accept. Only happened that once for us.

Don't know which of the RCCL brands you got the upgrades on previously but bear in mind that unlike some lines where there are s great many price points, perhaps just a few dollars apart between one category and the next, O's has fewer categories with not trivial price difference between some.

On our first Oceania cruise on the Marina in 2012, we were in the penthouse category. The first night, after we returned from dinner, there was a notice on the bed offering an upgrade. Since the price was not enticing and we had already unpacked, we did not consider it.

That's interesting. This might be the first I've heard of this type of offer.

On our first Oceania cruise on the Marina in 2012, we were in the penthouse category. The first night, after we returned from dinner, there was a notice on the bed offering an upgrade. Since the price was not enticing and we had already unpacked, we did not consider it.

Is this an example of "The exception that proves the rule" ?:)

I am sure people may get an offer to move up after boarding in some cases

We had to cancel a cruise the day before sailing

Our friends went to our cabin later in the day & found different people there :eek:

We also had to leave early in a cruise & I am sure they would have given our deck 9 cabin to someone for the remaining 10days of the cruise

It can happen, will it happen to you ..who knows

:)