New to Celebrity

beanozak

We are new to Celebrity, We have a few questions. First what time do they start boarding on the first day of cruise. Where do you eat the first morning/afternoon. Is there a kettle in stateroom to make yourself tea / coffee. Can you suggest a really nice place that was your favorite place to sit, have coffee or drink . Is there anything esle we should know e.g. Dress code, formal nights. Thank you in advance.:

You can usually start boarding about 11 but your room will not be ready till about 1:30. You can go to the oceanview buffet and have lunch while you wait..You can also eat at the Spa cafe (also free to everyone). If you are in Concierge class, you will eat in the MDR for the embarkation lunch. If you are in a suite you will eat in Luminae.

We like to frequent Cafe al Baccio to have cappuccino (fee for most). The pastries there are free whether you buy coffee or not.

Formal nights have been replaced with evening chic which means different things to different people.

It would be helpful to name your ship, as has already been said.

Edited by TeaBag

They have kettles, but unless you're sailing out of England, you need to ask for one. It might actually be IN your stateroom, under the bed or on the top of the closet shelf. We've seen "ours" twice in those locations.

We get on the ship about 11:00 a.m.

Why worry about having a kettle when you have room service?

Plus I've been on Equinox and Reflection and they have a complimentary coffee machine from 9 to 6 near the Sanctuary in the Atrium which makes Lavazza coffee.

Plus you have Cafe al Bacio on the S Class ships, and there's always the Oceanview Cafe.

I;m on vacation, I don't do anything more than I have to.

Edited by NordicPrince

Why worry about having a kettle when you have room service?

Plus I've been on Equinox and Reflection and they have a complimentary coffee machine from 9 to 6 near the Sanctuary in the Atrium which makes Lavazza coffee.

Plus you have Cafe al Bacio on the S Class ships, and there's always the Oceanview Cafe.

I;m on vacation, I don't do anything more than I have to.

Cafe al Baccio is on M class ships also and they do give coffee and tea to go. I may not be right but I think most English people like a kettle in the room for tea.

I haven't been on infinity, so can't give you lots of advice, have you registered on your roll call where you get to meet lots of people on the same sailing , share excursion tips etc.

My first celebrity cruisevi spent lots of time on here reading, watching you tube and looking at ship deck plans to give me an idea , Aldo found lots of tips, some suit some people for me, it was ask the room attendant to empty fridge on arrival, then can put our own water etc in there and not risk bring charged for anything either.

Have you obtained a drinks package as part of your trip?

We also asked to sit on a large table the first night to meet lots of experienced cruisers who helped us greatly, have fun , celebrity is an amazing experience

My wife and I were passengers on Infinity several years ago on a cruise to Alaska. It was a lovely ship crewed by a professional and friendly crew. You will have a great time.

We sailed from Seattle and arrived at the pier at approximately 10:30 a.m. We had a smooth embarkation and were on-board before noon. We did not have any loyalty or room embarkation status on that cruise. If you have them your embarkation may be a little faster.

On boarding the ship your dining choices are normally the Oceanview Cafe, the Mast Grill and/or the Spa Cafe on some Celebrity M class ships, and Sushi on Five. If you have a concierge class cabin you will also be invited to a lunch served in the main dining room is my understanding under a fairly new policy on Celebrity ships.

We cannot help you with the "kettle" question.

Our favorite places for coffee and light refreshments are Cafe al Bacio and the Gelateria on what we fondly call the "cookie deck" (Celebrity calls it deck 5 for some reason) and the best seats in the house for Alaska in our opinion is in the forward lounge on deck 11.

Dress code information is on the Celebrity website and hundreds of threads on this forum over the years.

Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

My wife and I were passengers on Infinity several years ago on a cruise to Alaska. It was a lovely ship crewed by a professional and friendly crew. You will have a great time.

We sailed from Seattle and arrived at the pier at approximately 10:30 a.m. We had a smooth embarkation and were on-board before noon. We did not have any loyalty or room embarkation status on that cruise. If you have them your embarkation may be a little faster.

On boarding the ship your dining choices are normally the Oceanview Cafe, the Mast Grill and/or the Spa Cafe on some Celebrity M class ships, and Sushi on Five. If you have a concierge class cabin you will also be invited to a lunch served in the main dining room is my understanding under a fairly new policy on Celebrity ships.

We cannot help you with the "kettle" question.

Our favorite places for coffee and light refreshments are Cafe al Bacio and the Gelateria on what we fondly call the "cookie deck" (Celebrity calls it deck 5 for some reason) and the best seats in the house for Alaska in our opinion is in the forward lounge on deck 11.

Dress code information is on the Celebrity website and hundreds of threads on this forum over the years.

Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

The cookie deck is the best thing I've read on Cruise Critic in a while! This is great!!

We were on Infinity last May for a Pacific Coastal cruise. There were many British cruisers aboard and we became good friends with Keith and Margaret from Kent. EVERYONE had a great time.

We usually get to the ship around 10 or 10:30 to check-in at the dock. You can board about 11am but your stateroom will not be ready until about 1:30 pm.

Most people eat at the Oceanview Cafe buffet for lunch on the first day and it can get very crowded on that first day. Just have some lunch and stroll around the ship, marveling at all the beauty of the spaces until your stateroom is ready.

Penthouse deck just means that your stateroom is located on one of the higher decks. Each deck has a different name.

I did not see any kettles on the Infinity on our cruise. But you can order coffee and tea through room service starting early in the morning (6am), but my British friends call American tea "rubbish" and I tell them the reason is, it is leftover from what the colonists threw into Boston Harbor over two hundred years ago! :D

One of our favorite places to relax is Al Bacio. Pastries, cookies, and cakes are complimentary, but premium coffees and teas are an upcharge unless you have a beverage package and then they are complimentary too. Our favorite place to have a cocktail on Infinity is the Ensemble Lounge or the Martini Bar.

Celebrity has eliminated formal nights, so you will rarely see long gowns, tuxedos, and kilts at dinner. Check the Celebrity website for appropriate attire for dinner. During the day and around the ship, dress is casual with attire you might find at an upscale resort.

You are going to love the Infinity cruise to Alaska and you will make many, many new friends. Bring a heavy jacket because the weather can be unpredictable depending on the time of year. Join the "rollcall" here on CC for that particular cruise and you can start meeting your fellow passengers right now and get many useful tips about your cruise. You are going to love it!

Have a jolly good time!

One note not already covered: continue to check prices on your sailing often. They change pretty frequently, and as long as the cruise line's deadline for final payment hasn't been reached (it isn't dependent on whether YOU have made final payment or not; it's their deadline that matters), if there is a price drop, you can get it--but you have to call, or ask your travel agent to call, in order to get any changes. Sometimes, you will find that a category above yours (maybe consierge or aqua or suite?) is selling for the same price you paid, or even less. Each category provides extras that may/may not be important to you.

One note not already covered: continue to check prices on your sailing often. They change pretty frequently, and as long as the cruise line's deadline for final payment hasn't been reached (it isn't dependent on whether YOU have made final payment or not; it's their deadline that matters), if there is a price drop, you can get it--but you have to call, or ask your travel agent to call, in order to get any changes. Sometimes, you will find that a category above yours (maybe consierge or aqua or suite?) is selling for the same price you paid, or even less. Each category provides extras that may/may not be important to you.

OP is from the UK, so unless they booked through a US travel agent they cannot get price drops without forfeiting their deposit.

It's highly doubtful that there are any kettles "hidden" in your stateroom. Don't count on one being there, nor is it likely that your stateroom attendant can find one for you if you ask him to. Also, you cannot bring your own -- water heating devices are on the forbidden list, along with irons, steam cleaners, and some other electrical devices other than those used for "personal grooming" like electric toothbrushes and hair curlers. As the OP is from the UK, any device they might want to try to bring with them would likely have the wrong plug, too.

Sorry I miss out the important details . We are on Infinity, Penthouse Deck balcony cabin. What does Penthouse Deck mean!! We are sailing out of Vancover to Alaska. Hope this helps with the answers I asked .

The Penthouse Deck is the name for deck 6.

The reason is that the penthouse suites are located on deck 6.

When you first board the ship, they should give you a copy of Celebrity Today, which describes what is available on the ship that day.

They typically offer guided tours of the ship on the embarkation day.

The time and place to meet should be listed in Celebrity Today.

Although you can find everything on your own just by strolling around from deck to deck, we find it helpful to take a guided tour of a ship that is new to us on the first day because the guide is right there with you to answer all your questions as you go along.

You will quickly discover your own favorite places on the ship.

Some of ours are the big observation lounge at the front of the ship on deck 11;

the open sunset bar deck with tables and chairs at the back of the ship on deck 10,

and the promenade deck on deck 4 (which some like to call the largest balcony on the ship).

If you have not been to Vancouver before (or even if you have) I hope you will have a few extra days to spend there before or after the cruise as it is a wonderful city to explore.

The Infinity is a very comfortable, inviting ship, not too big and not too small, easy to get around.

It has a great staff and crew.

Alaska cruises are among our favorites as you have great scenery practically all along the way from beginning to end.

Vancouver's Canada Place port is one of the most attractive cruise ports, with big white sails, and it is conveniently located right in downtown Vancouver,

(not out in the boondocks in an industrial area somewhere, as so many other cruise ports are).

Be sure to get a good viewing spot and have your camera ready for the sail away from Canada Place as you cruise past Stanley Park and then go under the Lion's Gate bridge.

That is not the time to be inside unpacking your luggage.

The weather on an Alaska cruise may vary - beautiful, clear, foggy, sunny, rainy, windy, calm, cold or warm, so bring clothing that you can easily layer, adding or removing layers as needed.

It is good to have a wind resistant, water resistant top layer (preferably one that has a hood to pull up or down as needed).

Also bring water resistant gloves (not wool).

You may be very glad to have them, or may not need them at all.

If you are at all prone to seasickness, you can go to Guest Relations, center of deck 3, and ask for meclizine (generic bonine), which they are happy to provide free of charge.

(But usual disclaimer here -- if you are taking any medications, check with your doctor first.)

We wish you a wonderful cruise.

I think there are many like me. I want my first coffee long before I am presentable to the world. lol

I understand and feel your pain. I need my morning coffee before I greet the world. I prefer to order it the night before from room service and have it magically appear before me (along with a croissant or 2) when I open my eyes to help me get moving. A wonderful genie provides it for the lovely days I'm aboard. Sadly, when I return home DH doesn't understand why I'm lingering abed longingly staring at the bedroom door with sad eyes and a wistful look.

Cafe al Baccio is on M class ships also and they do give coffee and tea to go. I may not be right but I think most English people like a kettle in the room for tea.

Yes, many of us do! What has surprised us on our last two cruises is that our butler has offered and provided us with a kettle and tea tray set up before we have asked (Solstice and Equinox)! We asked a couple of other suite guests (non English) if they had been offered this and they said they hadn't....Celebrity obviously knows the English well!

On our next Celebrity cruise, Norwegian Ffiords, I am taking my hot water bottle to cuddle on the balcony whilst wrapped in blankets (not letting the cold spoil my viewing pleasure) so my kettle will be really handy!

OP, speak to your room attendant on boarding and just ask if there is one available....If not as others have said just use room service, they are usually very prompt.

Yes, many of us do! What has surprised us on our last two cruises is that our butler has offered and provided us with a kettle and tea tray set up before we have asked (Solstice and Equinox)! We asked a couple of other suite guests (non English) if they had been offered this and they said they hadn't....Celebrity obviously knows the English well!

On our next Celebrity cruise, Norwegian Ffiords, I am taking my hot water bottle to cuddle on the balcony whilst wrapped in blankets (not letting the cold spoil my viewing pleasure) so my kettle will be really handy!

OP, speak to your room attendant on boarding and just ask if there is one available....If not as others have said just use room service, they are usually very prompt.

Now that is a butler and a half. How nice of him to provide the kettle.

Love your idea of the hot water bottle to keep you warm on the balcony.

Now that is a butler and a half. How nice of him to provide the kettle.

Love your idea of the hot water bottle to keep you warm on the balcony.

Yes..we have been blessed with some really thoughtful butlers. I have a couple of mobility issues at the moment but why let them spoil a cruise! My plan is to dress up warm get comfortable on my 'sun bed' wrapped in blankets with my bottle and even if it rains who cares! We were very lucky when we visited Alaska to have cold but bright and clear days...hoping for something similar!

Another good lunch spot after embarkation is the grill by the pool. Great burgers. I think they have hot dogs too.

Be sure to get two ship's maps when you check in on the dock. They are invaluable. It's takes a while to figure you way around.