Connecting in Toronto/upgrading?

jucaha

I am going on a river cruise and will be flying from Philadelphia to Charles DeGaul in Paris - - with a connection in Toronto, Canada. I am a US citizen. Can anyone tell me if I have to go thru customs (and do I need to get my baggage) in Toronto? Or do I just proceed thru to my next gate. It looks like we arrive and depart from Terminal 1. I have never been in this airport....

Additionally...has anyone ever upgraded from Economy to Economy Plus? Is is cheaper to wait until you get to the airport?? Right now, the rate is $159 to upgrade.

Thank you in advance for any advice/info you can give!!

I am going on a river cruise and will be flying from Philadelphia to Charles DeGaul in Paris - - with a connection in Toronto, Canada. I am a US citizen. Can anyone tell me if I have to go thru customs (and do I need to get my baggage) in Toronto? Or do I just proceed thru to my next gate. It looks like we arrive and depart from Terminal 1. I have never been in this airport....

Additionally...has anyone ever upgraded from Economy to Economy Plus? Is is cheaper to wait until you get to the airport?? Right now, the rate is $159 to upgrade.

Thank you in advance for any advice/info you can give!!

It sounds like you're flying on United to Toronto, then on Air Canada over the Atlantic. Note the ticket might say it's United to Paris, but that would be a "codeshare" flight with United's flight number on an Air Canada-operated plane from Toronto.

This is is important, because "Economy Plus" is a United designation that isn't shared by Air Canada. Air Canada has "premium economy," which is a MUCH different thing from "Economy Plus" on United (which is basically a couple of extra inches of legroom.) Going from E+ on United to PE on Air Canada would be a LOT more than $159.

Assuming this is all on one ticket, at Toronto you'll go through passport control but not customs. You'll do both passport and customs at Paris.

Edited by Gardyloo

I would consider going to AC's website and booking direct with Air Canada. by utilizing their website, you can first determine if any P.E. seats are remaining, and then be able to book them. UAL will only allow one to book economy and then call Air Canada direct for an upgrade. Upgrade for that international leg will exceed $150.

Air Canada typically now is using new 787s for those flights. The seating arrangement in Premium Economy is 2-3-2, with only three rows of PE seats. Just for references, we are on AC flights to and from Europe next June and July. All PE seats on both flights are sold out. Therefore, a quick check of Air Canada's website will at least let you know if any are available.

If you book an Air Canada flight on UAL, you will not be able to do seat selection on the AC metal until you arrive at the airport. For reference, we are flying out of BNA, and all the metal was AC, just code shared with UAL. It was the same when I checked going through STL. So check out your flights to see who the actual metal belongs to. It makes no sense booking all AC metal on UAL. AC allows you to enter UALs ff numbers for any mileage credits.

I'd Be all over that $159 rate to upgrade. Are you sure it's for the international portion? AC wanted $1500 upon checkin for premium economy on my last flight

I really can't tell who OP is flying, but at least a portion is on UA, as this $159 charge is to purchase Economy Plus, which is not an upgrade. The price is not cheaper if you wait to purchase (if it's even available at that time) at the airport.

I personally would not pay this to upgrade from PHL-YYZ, but that's just my opinion.

Not knowing the details of these flights (we seldom do) or dates etc I am curious as to why someone would want to spend 16-20 hours for a stop-over flight when there are non-stops avbl PHL - CDG for under 8 hours and no changing planes in a foreign country... other than for $$$ of course.

Then I looked, and Viking River Cruises (may, or may not be OPs Cruiseline) is offering free airfare from YYZ. IF?? that's what has happened here, would the OP not have to fly on 2 seperate tickets? One PHL - YYZ on their dime, and a second YYZ - CDG provided by Viking? Should that be the case will they not have to go thru both customs and immigration in YYZ then collect their bags and check in again with AC for international departure? Just thinking.....

Not knowing the details of these flights (we seldom do)

DING DING DING....we have the post of the day/week/month.

Which leads to nothing more than speculation and assumption. And, of course, the poster that never comes back with any followup.

GIGO

DING DING DING....we have the post of the day/week/month.

Which leads to nothing more than speculation and assumption. And, of course, the poster that never comes back with any followup.

GIGO

Knew you would chime in!! Just trying to get the OP to give more info. I know they seldom do.

I am flying United with Code Share of Air Canada....

I contacted AC...they said they couldn't assist...because it was booked thru United......

Actually, it seems you are flying Air Canada on a United Airlines code-share.

Always important to distinguish between the operating carrier and the marketing carrier - as the rules of the operating carrier are the ones that apply to upgrades, seating, baggage and the like.

I am flying United with Code Share of Air Canada....

I contacted AC...they said they couldn't assist...because it was booked thru United......

What did you want AC to assist you with? If you were trying to select seats they won't allow advance seat selection for Economy if you booked through UA.

Hello you are entering Canada and will go through customs and collect your baggage.However you will remain in a secure area so going through Security will not be required.Luggage will be forwarded automatically to next flight.

You can go to the co-share operator Air Canada at the gate you may be able to upgrade but like the USA Election I would't put any money on it.

Gerald