Gratuities question

My question is, do the staff have any idea who removes the auto grats? I know it's not a popular move, but I'm seriously considering removing this sailing.

I seriously doubt they will spend time and effort to distribute a list...why would they? It is just a urban myth that is kept up here on CC to discourage people from removing...

I you want to make sure...just remove on the last night....

I'm sure I will completely screw up my thoughts on this, but here goes. Since they went to automatic gratuities, overall, I find I pay a lot less in tips to the usual tipped staff (dining/stateroom host). Why? Because, since I've already paid tips, I just don't think about it. The last couple of cruises I've experienced subpar service in the dining room. Drinks not being refilled, rolls not being offered (or taking forever with this), SUPER slow service, etc. I'm not a picky diner, but I also don't like that they are getting "full" tips based on this new system, and THEN have the nerve to try to guilt me into rave reviews... Only have experienced this with dining room staff, never with stateroom host.

When deserved I tip cash in the DL and elsewhere.

My question is, do the staff have any idea who removes the auto grats? I know it's not a popular move, but I'm seriously considering removing this sailing.

The very few times I have had sub par service I have raised it with a senior member of staff. I would never remove the tips without first giving them an opportunity to correct the issue.

The very few times I have had sub par service I have raised it with a senior member of staff. I would never remove the tips without first giving them an opportunity to correct the issue.

I promise I'm not just being stubborn here, but I still don't any harm in removing them and tipping in person at the end of the cruise.

I promise I'm not just being stubborn here, but I still don't any harm in removing them and tipping in person at the end of the cruise.

I think the challenge is that if you do that, there's no harm, but there's also no advantage to you or the crew. In theory, it might save them the credit card fees, but the person you're tipping is almost certainly still sharing the tip, so any savings are probably washed out in the aggregate. So most of us chose to follow the simplest path...

I seriously doubt they will spend time and effort to distribute a list...why would they? It is just a urban myth that is kept up here on CC to discourage people from removing...

I you want to make sure...just remove on the last night....

I have seen the list myself on the housekeeping cart. Others have reported seeing it posted in the kitchen during their tour of the area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is more work for the crew members and there is a risk that they actually will not get to keep the entire amount you give them. Furthermore, on the last night or whatever they don't want to be carrying around dozens of envelopes full of money that can be mislaid.

Put it on a credit card that earns multiple points for a travel category. Win win. Use travel credit on Chase Sapphire Reserved and get the gratuities for free (or nearly).

Not sure I understand the need to make it more complicated by trying to pay people in cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can do that. The cash you give them at the end will be pooled along with everyone's tips, cash or daily, and then be pooled. Either way, your money is pooled and goes to everyone that is paid through the pool

Yes, $10 above the pre paid tips. We like Blue Moon. On Serenade, none seemed to be stocked at any bar. A lead bartender checked stock and then had Blue Moon for us. Easy $10 cash tip.

We attended various tasting events while on the cruise. The bartender was outstanding and very knowledgeable, not to mention funny too. The tasting cost $25. He was so good I gave him a $20 tip. I had Blue Moon for the rest of the cruise. Happy Cruiser.

That´s not tipping that buying the staff !!!!

That spoils it for the rest of us !!!

That´s not tipping that buying the staff !!!!

That spoils it for the rest of us !!!

Most of the bar staff work pretty hard at "buying" me ..... and it works, a couple of another drink "Sir Thomas" and they're my go to bar staff. Tip them as the cruise progresses.

Just a silly little thing but it helps make a cruise more memorable.

Cheers T & M

It is more work for the crew members and there is a risk that they actually will not get to keep the entire amount you give them. Furthermore, on the last night or whatever they don't want to be carrying around dozens of envelopes full of money that can be mislaid.

Yes, I am sure the staff hates envelopes stuffed with money. They never looked too disturbed to get those envelopes before the invention of auto gratuities and they never seem too unhappy to get the extra that I hand them now. And I bet the extra that I give them doesn't get mislaid either. You don't know what they "don't want" any more than I or anyone else does.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am sure the staff hates envelopes stuffed with money. They never looked too disturbed to get those envelopes before the invention of auto gratuities and they never seem too unhappy to get the extra that I hand them now. And I bet the extra that I give them doesn't get mislaid either. You don't know what they "don't want" any more than I or anyone else does.:rolleyes:

ever see an assistant server try and stuff the tenth envelope into his jacket pocket? I have. when his hands came out so did half the envelopes again. at least 2 dropped onto the floor. all while he was trying to continue performing his duties. they do not have to time right then and there to carefully arrange the money to fit neatly anywhere upon their person.

ever see an assistant server try and stuff the tenth envelope into his jacket pocket? I have. when his hands came out so did half the envelopes again. at least 2 dropped onto the floor. all while he was trying to continue performing his duties. they do not have to time right then and there to carefully arrange the money to fit neatly anywhere upon their person.

Then I guess people should stop offering extra tips above the auto gratuities since this extra money is, obviously, a major burden to the crew.:rolleyes:

Then I guess people should stop offering extra tips above the auto gratuities since this extra money is, obviously, a major burden to the crew.:rolleyes:

You know, i used to just tip at the end in the lounges, but lately it's by the drink. That is somewhat awkward on occasion until they realize that is your process. When using the drinks on sea pass, i always hand them a buck or two when i hand them my sea pass. That works easier. smooth tansaction

You know, i used to just tip at the end in the lounges, but lately it's by the drink. That is somewhat awkward on occasion until they realize that is your process. When using the drinks on sea pass, i always hand them a buck or two when i hand them my sea pass. That works easier. smooth tansaction

I truly believe it improves our cruise doing this. We don't nearly have the issues others mention or complain about.

I think this is a good idea as we just got off harmony and used both lounges and the drink coupons also, yes we drank our share:p. Shout out to the DC staff and their pours;)

I agree, and I also think this contributes to not getting a receipt to sign when you have a drink package.

With the drinks on the seapass I used to tip a bartender at the beginning of the week and tell him that he would be taking care of my diamond drinks for the week and then tip him again at the end of the week. I have started tipping per drink because I don't always catch the same bartender. Since I rarely catch a drink in the Diamond Lounge I have no system that I use in there.

With the drinks on the seapass I used to tip a bartender at the beginning of the week and tell him that he would be taking care of my diamond drinks for the week and then tip him again at the end of the week. I have started tipping per drink because I don't always catch the same bartender. Since I rarely catch a drink in the Diamond Lounge I have no system that I use in there.

We're on MJ in a few weeks, they do a diamond event. I think I'll just tip when I order.