Gratuities question

New to the royal Caribbean line.

How are gratuities removed? Will they remove them like carnival or do I need to request a form like ncl?

Before I get slammed I do tip generously just in cash.. my sister in law spent several years working on a cruise ship and based on her info I just prefer to do it myself..

Thanks for your help

How are gratuities removed? Will they remove them like carnival or do I need to request a form like ncl?

Before I get slammed I do tip generously just in cash.. my sister in law spent several years working on a cruise ship and based on her info I just prefer to do it myself..

Thanks for your help

Go to Guest Services and request the automatic gratuities be discontinued.

I think we're gonna need a bigger bucket.

ROTFL. At lease OP is not wanting to not tip. I kind of like the cash idea so you know it goes exactly where you want it to. As for me, we stick to the automatic and add extra in cash on our own where warranted.

Let the fun begin.

ROTFL. At lease OP is not wanting to not tip. I kind of like the cash idea so you know it goes exactly where you want it to. As for me, we stick to the automatic and add extra in cash on our own where warranted.

Let the fun begin.

This is exactly what we do! Just easier .... I just hope in good faith that our $$ goes to the right people!

Thanks for your help

The only issue you will have is tipping the staff in the buffet . They geta little from prepaid gratuities. On some lines if the automatic gratuity is removed. Any cash the room steward and MDR staff have to put it into a pool. This pool is then distributed among all the staff not just the person who received the cash.

If tipping in cash, and you are tipping generously, than why remove the tips? Just tip extra to the people you think deserves extra, and for all the other people that tips are distributed to, let them get it, without interference. What's the big issue?

Regardless of how you do it, tips are distributed based on a tipping program, where the tips are distributed and it is assumed that each guest gives the expected amount. The reality is when someone removes the tips, and they either tip the correct amount or less, than the next person that tips more ends up basically covering for the person who tipped less. The distribution still goes to others.

It only makes the tipper feel good, but the process behind the scenes still take care of it. The person you give the money to "DOES NOT KEEP" it all.

So much easier to leave the automatic gratuities in place; that way you cover all the people in the pool, not just the ones you interact with daily. If you want to tip in cash feel free to tip extra on top of the automatic tips. Also, room service, CL and DL waiters are not covered by the automatic tips so you can tip in cash there, if you have access to either lounge.

Thanks for your help

Your sister-in-law likely worked on a cruise ship prior to auto tipping. Now, if you remove the tips, anyone you tip in cash is required to turn that money in or face dismissal. If left in place, those to whom you give extra are permitted to keep it. There are lists posted for the crew of those who have removed tips. You are doing no one any favors by removing auto tips and tipping in cash - except maybe to make yourself feel good.

WHY NOT, no it is not personal but all deserving people, no matter what your bartender or cabin attendant says or how many on this board think get a FAIR SHARE. Tip more if you wish, but that is your discretion.

I personally think TIPPING is our of control, yes there are people who's wages are only the tips, but, example, tipping a bus driver on a tour, etc., That is his job, and he paid to do it. Now if he saves your life for what every reason he deserve a tip. also the Cabin steward if he does something SPECIAL. However bar tenders, there is a tip built in to the bill. On drink packages or the D or D+ lounge, I still tip an extra buck or two per drink.

Edited by north29

Not meaning to ask an indelicate question, but are there any general guidelines for tipping your cabin steward? We are staying in a GS and assuming we are happy with the service (which I'm sure we will be), is there a per day standard which people normally use?

We are first timers so all of this is new to us...

Not meaning to ask an indelicate question, but are there any general guidelines for tipping your cabin steward? We are staying in a GS and assuming we are happy with the service (which I'm sure we will be), is there a per day standard which people normally use?

The cruise line will automatically charge your onboard account $16.50 per guest per day for gratuities. This will cover your stateroom attendant and helpers, and dining staff.

Edited by clarea

The cruise line will automatically charge your onboard account $16.50 per guest per day for gratuities. This will cover your stateroom attendant and helpers, and dining staff.

I know about that and we are prepaying the standard gratuities, but do you normally tip your individual steward anything additional?

I know about that and we are prepaying the standard gratuities, but do you normally tip your individual steward anything additional?

Totally up to you, there's no "typical" amount of additional gratuity.

Just don't listen to the trolls who will suggest large stuffed animals.

Cash only please.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Edited by shellunderwater