Australian passports stolen. Adivce?

Orator

An Australian couple on the Roll Call for the November 5 (tomorrow) cruise on Silhouette has reported that their baggage with passports were lifted while on the train to Civi. They don't have an appointment at their Embassy until Monday. I don't know the proper advice, but if anyone does you might go to the Roll Call for November 5th Silhouette and post. I'll be leaving shortly for the airport.

An Australian couple on the Roll Call for the November 5 (tomorrow) cruise on Silhouette has reported that their baggage with passports were lifted while on the train to Civi. They don't have an appointment at their Embassy until Monday. I don't know the proper advice, but if anyone does you might go to the Roll Call for November 5th Silhouette and post. I'll be leaving shortly for the airport.

Good lesson here. Never leave your passport in the luggage.

That said contact the local police and Embassy/Consulate as soon as possible. Also ci=contacting their credit card & bank would advised.

Edited by Kamloops50

I'd try emergency contact. Cant even get accommodation without passport. Are they in Rome? Should be an embassy there.

And echo having passport in arms reach.

Ah. Just saw how it happened. Truly sucks but classic gypsy distract and steal.

Edited by Pushka

Copied from the Australian consular website:

Who to contact

•emergency consular assistance is available 24 hours a day by calling our Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) in Canberra on 1300 555 135 or from anywhere in the world on +61 2 6261 3305 or by SMS on +61 421 269 080

•if you are overseas and it is after working hours, you can call the Australian embassy, high commission or consulate in the country you are visiting and follow the phone prompts to be connected to the CEC

•you can access addresses and telephone numbers of Australian embassies, high commissions or consulates online at dfat.gov.au/missions or in local telephone directories, hotels, tourist offices or police stations

•the CEC may also assist concerned family members in Australia and can be contacted on 1300 555 135.

Here is the contact information for Australian citizens in Rome:

Australian Embassy

Via Antonio Bosio, 5

00161 - ROME How to reach the Embassy

Tel: 06 8527 21

Facsimile: 06 8527 2300

Consular Emergency Centre, Canberra (Toll free from Italy 24hr): 800877790

To contact us from outside Italy

•Telephone: + 39 06 8527 21

•Facsimile: + 39 06 8527 2300 (Chancery)

Visas and Citizenship

Please contact the Europe Service Centre in London:

•Tel. +44 (0) 207 420 3690 (service available in English from 1pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday, international call charges apply)

Tel. +44 (0) 207 420 3698 (service available in Italian from 10am to 1pm, Monday to Friday, international call charges apply)

E-MAIL:

•Visas for Australia, Australian citizenship and immigration issues (online webmail form): http://www.border.gov.au/forms/europe

•Assistance to Australians, renewal or first issue of Australian passports/notarial services: consular-rome@dfat.gov.au

•Enquiries other than the above: info-rome@dfat.gov.au

I'll post it to their roll call as well.

They also need to call the cruise line ASAP and notify them of the situation. There are some instances where they will not be able to board the ship for the first time in some countries, so depending on their itinerary, they may have to be flexible about joining the ship. Good luck to them!

They also need to call the cruise line ASAP and notify them of the situation. There are some instances where they will not be able to board the ship for the first time in some countries, so depending on their itinerary, they may have to be flexible about joining the ship. Good luck to them!

They already have and the ship will hold their room, hoping they will be successful in boarding later. Lots of info on the roll call. I sure hope they get to enjoy their cruise. Such a horrible start.

Another good reason to have travel insurance. I do hope they had some. With the extra expenses they will incur, and the possibility that they might not be able to catch up to the cruise at all, they will end up with a lot of additional money spent on top of the hassle and disappointment they are already enduring. Travel insurance should cover those costs.

Edited by sloopsailor

Another good reason to have travel insurance. I do hope they had some. With the extra expenses they will incur, and the possibility that they might not be able to catch up to the cruise at all, they will end up with a lot of additional money spent on top of the hassle and disappointment they are already enduring. Travel insurance should cover those costs.

Yes they do. But the trip has been wrecked hasn't it! For a simple act of kindness. Termini Train station is notorious for the 'distract and steal' crime which is what happened to them. So a crime against them was committed. Disappointed our Embassy is not going to help them until Monday.

Edited by Pushka