Crown grill

Japanda

This is a bit funny, to me. Over the years we have dined in the CG many times. More than once I would consider the lamb chops and the waiter would discourage me.

A couple weeks ago we were in the Crown Grill on the Ruby Princess. I ordered the lamb chops. No waiter is going to push me around, this time.

They were outstanding--the centerpiece to what was, arguably, the best Crown Grill experience we have ever enjoyed.

So, to the OP, if you are going to be on the Ruby, and you like lamb chops--especially, if you like them prepared rare--go for it. Regardless of whether or not you like lamb chops, if you are on the Ruby, I am confident that you will have an enjoyable experience at the Crown Grill. It is a very well-run room. The staff is well-trained and understands the definition of "hospitality."

:D

I've had the Lamb on several visits to the CG. Never have been disappointed as it has always been melt in your mouth good.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Aptly described! Same goes with the filet mignon.

With food being very suggestive, on this year's Iceland/Norway T/A (CB) DW and I both thought the beef medallions in the MDR were much tastier and tender than the FM in the CG.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

With food being very suggestive, on this year's Iceland/Norway T/A (CB) DW and I both thought the beef medallions in the MDR were much tastier and tender than the FM in the CG.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, we've had the same experiences on the Crown & the FM was no longer "melt in your mouth". As you said taste is "subjective" but my taste buds tell me the FM isn't as tasty as previously.

Edited by Astro Flyer

But, Yes, you can order something from the MDR when in Crown Grill. I was with family in the Crown Grill on an evening when I knew my absolute favorite sorbet was being served in the MDR. I asked if it would be possible to get the sorbet for dessert. They were happy to accommodate after warning me that it would take awhile as they had to go to a different galley. I was thrilled.

Jackie

I need your help. Just found out that Me, my Mom and friend will be gifted dinner at the Crown Grill. Do we tip or is that part of the cover charge ? Thanks
We leave a cash tip (not sure about included or not) where the service deserved it.

We took our 8 year old grandson with us to the Crown Grill. He was just going to sit with us and share. The waiter told us he could get a hamburger off the child's menu from the MDR. We thought this offer was very nice. We were charged $14 for a hamburger that was free in the MDR. The waiter forgot to tell us about the charge. When I complained I was told basically the charge for the Crown Grill is for the space, the food is free. Since our grandson was using a space he was charged. I swear that is they told me. So if I went to the Trident Grill and got a hamburger for my grandson and he ate in the CG with two people paying the full price, we would have been charged $14. The charge was reversed eventually but I thought the whole incident was strange.

I need your help. Just found out that Me, my Mom and friend will be gifted dinner at the Crown Grill. Do we tip or is that part of the cover charge ? Thanks

It's included in the cover charge, but feel free to tip more if the service is outstanding.

Bob, we've had the same experiences on the Crown & the FM was no longer "melt in your mouth". As you said taste is "subjective" but my taste buds tell me the FM isn't as tasty as previously.

Being in the food industry, when we did the Regal in Feb. the Filet Mignon wasn't even up to "select" grade. Most likely at standard grade. That doesn't mean it's lousy, but if you eat Prime & buy Prime as we do in our catering business, you'll know the difference!

Being in the food industry, when we did the Regal in Feb. the Filet Mignon wasn't even up to "select" grade. Most likely at standard grade. That doesn't mean it's lousy, but if you eat Prime & buy Prime as we do in our catering business, you'll know the difference!

Thanks for the information...a couple of years ago I liked it but not nearly as much now.

Some recent posts have speculated that suppliers from different regions around the world may be the difference & recently read a post saying their cruise had excellent Argentinian beef.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 4 weeks later...

There was a whole discussion on Rib Eye. I and many others agree it was not even equal to Costco. Seemed to be from an older cow then was dry. We raise beef and I worked in a Meat processing plant and I know what Prime and Choice are, I took grading classes. Prime will melt in your mouth if seared right, left to sit a minute and served on a hot plate. My guess is they salt meat long before they cook it and it draws the moisture out.

Edited by WupperAV

This is a bit funny, to me. Over the years we have dined in the CG many times. More than once I would consider the lamb chops and the waiter would discourage me.

A couple weeks ago we were in the Crown Grill on the Ruby Princess. I ordered the lamb chops. No waiter is going to push me around, this time.

They were outstanding--the centerpiece to what was, arguably, the best Crown Grill experience we have ever enjoyed.

So, to the OP, if you are going to be on the Ruby, and you like lamb chops--especially, if you like them prepared rare--go for it. Regardless of whether or not you like lamb chops, if you are on the Ruby, I am confident that you will have an enjoyable experience at the Crown Grill. It is a very well-run room. The staff is well-trained and understands the definition of "hospitality."

:D

My wife and I will be on the Ruby in 3 weeks:p, we are doing the CG for one of the nights (which ever night the MDR menu SUX). I was looking at the menu I saw the lamb chops and thought that sounds good, but I'm at a steak house I should get steak:rolleyes:. I think what I will do is get a smaller steak and a lamb chop combo.:D

Yes, we had no problem. We found the staff on Princess to really encourage you to order extra.

They encourage you.......:rolleyes:...........Sweet now I will have someone to blame for the extra pounds:D.........Its not my fault the Princess wait staff talked me into lamb chops, steak, and 3 desserts.

My wife and I will be on the Ruby in 3 weeks:p, we are doing the CG for one of the nights (which ever night the MDR menu SUX). I was looking at the menu I saw the lamb chops and thought that sounds good, but I'm at a steak house I should get steak:rolleyes:. I think what I will do is get a smaller steak and a lamb chop combo.:D

They are the best lamb chops in the world. Yes, do both.

Hey, you're the customer. You get to pick. :D

My wife might argue that the best thing on the CG menu is the mussel pot, and I'm not sure I disagree with her.

Have a great cruise. I wish I was going. :)

I totally agree with you and Bob the FM is just not as good as it once was in the Crown Grill.

Tony

We leave a cash tip (not sure about included or not) where the service deserved it.

If I can ask, how much do you tip if it was an outstanding meal and service? (Which it has always been every time we have gone there)

Table of 4 at an upscale land based restaurant the bill could easily be $200. a 20% tip on that is $40. Is that what most folks leave? $10/pp ?

Thanks for all the great input everyone.

DH is a very good eater and I was curious if he would be able to order extra sides or even an extra steak if he wanted to, on our Ruby cruise in Feb. We have only been on Royal Caribbean so far and for our speciality dining they brought out many dishes for us to try, even though we hadn't ordered them.

I noticed the Curtis Stone's speciality restaurant only let's you order one item from each course, so I was curious if this was the Princess lines policy or just this restaurant.

If I can ask, how much do you tip if it was an outstanding meal and service? (Which it has always been every time we have gone there)

Table of 4 at an upscale land based restaurant the bill could easily be $200. a 20% tip on that is $40. Is that what most folks leave? $10/pp ?

We generally leave $7.50-10/pp depending upon whether the service was very good or great. Edited by taxatty

Thanks for all the great input everyone.

DH is a very good eater and I was curious if he would be able to order extra sides or even an extra steak if he wanted to, on our Ruby cruise in Feb. We have only been on Royal Caribbean so far and for our speciality dining they brought out many dishes for us to try, even though we hadn't ordered them.

I noticed the Curtis Stone's speciality restaurant only let's you order one item from each course, so I was curious if this was the Princess lines policy or just this restaurant.

At CG, we were asked if we like another serving of steak and lobster. We ordered our dessert but on top of that, the waiter gave us samplers of their different pastries on a plate without us asking for it. All with no extra charge.

Edited by easyboy