Dress Code - No Jeans policy

NeilP57

For men' date=' is a polo considered a shirt with collar at dinner? My husband likes to wear a polo with trousers instead of a button down down every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Hey, if it's a shirt and it's got a collar it's a collared shirt ! Go with it. It's his vacation, polos are fine.

Edited by mhb1757

For men' date=' is a polo considered a shirt with collar at dinner? My husband likes to wear a polo with trousers instead of a button down down every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Yes, the distinction is between polo shirts (collar, allowed) and tee shirts (no collar, not allowed).

I will never understand this issue. On vacation, I like to dress up and my husband likes to dress down. How does that offend anyone, we're on vacation. If someone wants to wear sneakers it won't make the world stop rotating. Enjoy your vacation and I'll enjoy mine

I hesitate to even ask this about the "dress code", but in the winter I enjoy wearing a nice sweater with a Tshirt underneath (can't see it). If it's really cold I'll wear a turtleneck T underneath. I feel constricted if I wear a collared shirt under a sweater, and it stretches the sweater neck. So, will I have any problems on my upcoming Viking trip? Seems to me a nice sweater is much dressier than a Tshirt and would be ok-but it's not collared. I have some Christmas sweaters and this is a Christmas cruise-Christmas on the Med.

I will never understand this issue. On vacation, I like to dress up and my husband likes to dress down. How does that offend anyone, we're on vacation. If someone wants to wear sneakers it won't make the world stop rotating. Enjoy your vacation and I'll enjoy mine

Exactly!

Are these no jeans/ no sneakers requirements applicable to The Rstaurant, main dining venue as well? If so , for breakfast and lunch as well?

Sounds crazy if it is, as we will be dressed for a day of excursions.

It's not listed under casual.

Just learned about all these dress code rules tonight on here, and am not happy.

We were on a Viking River Cruise in 2014, and it was so casual and wonderful.

The reason we booked this cruise!

No problem dressing up for the specialty restaurants, but was surprised to find the main dining room , with its dress code , listed with them.

Many days our excursions are close to 8 or 9 hours. Then getting all dressed up for dinner after such a long day. Did not count on having to eat from a buffet on all those nights.

Seems a bit of an anachronism in today's world.

My sentiments exactly.

Are these no jeans/ no sneakers requirements applicable to The Rstaurant, main dining venue as well? If so , for breakfast and lunch as well?

There is no dress code before 6 PM. So, for breakfast and lunch, no matter where you eat it... wear whatever you want.

The dress code kicks in at 6 PM, in all dining venues except for the World Cafe.

Sounds crazy if it is, as we will be dressed for a day of excursions.

It's not listed under casual.

Just learned about all these dress code rules tonight on here, and am not happy.

We were on a Viking River Cruise in 2014, and it was so casual and wonderful.

The reason we booked this cruise!

No problem dressing up for the specialty restaurants, but was surprised to find the main dining room , with its dress code , listed with them.

Many days our excursions are close to 8 or 9 hours. Then getting all dressed up for dinner after such a long day. Did not count on having to eat from a buffet on all those nights.

Seems a bit of an anachronism in today's world.

The stated dress code for the MDR and the specialty restaurants has always been "elegant casual" for evenings (whatever that means) with a further stipulation of trousers and shirts with a collar for men. It is only very recently that there seems to be a fuss about jeans in the MDR and specialty restaurants.

I believe that this is not a change in policy at all - it is a clarification of the policy that they launched with their VO. It was in place on their very first sailing that we were on. They stated that they did not want jeans in MDR or specialty restaurants during dinner.

If you have been out all day on an excursion that leaves you without the desire to slip on a sun dress or slacks....or chinos/casual slacks and a nice shirt....then the World cafe offers amazing food and will not leave you feeling disappointed.

This policy was not a topic of frustration at all on board when we sailed, and we found it to be basically the same as their rivers cruise as far as how everyone dressed. It wasn't a 'dressy affair' - - although some people had a good time being more dressed up than others.

JMHO

Edited by Vineyard View

I'd hate for anyone to get their tinsel in a tangle over this one.... there is no formal dress requirements, no coat and tie.....just pants and a shirt with a collar.....and I am willing to bet little if anything is said to folks that don't quite tow the line. Got a nice sweater without a collar....wear it, no hassle, a turtle neck and a sweater or vest....no biggie. Just don't wear the tank top and cut offs (or faded jeans and sweatshirts in cooler climates) to the dining room in the evening. No one cares what kind of shoes you wear....they will be under the table (we hope). It's very relaxed. If you can't bear to part with your sweatshirt or tee shirt, eat dinner in the cafe (or order room service, or grab something at Mamsens.....lot's of choices).

Edited by mhb1757

I phoned Viking customer service today to verify this change. I was told that the change was the result of a survey of past guests. However, since our. booking was made under different terms and conditions, we will be following the previously posted dress code and a note was added to our booking to verify that we will not be turned away because of the no-jeans rule.

I voiced my displeasure with the change and will be reiterating that opinion in an email to their executive staff. One of the essential reasons we cruise exclusively on Viking (rivers and ocean) is because of the relaxed atmosphere. We travel for the destinations; the onboard ship amenities, while nice, are secondary. I would be very unhappy if Viking turned into an Oceania or NCL or one of the other cruise lines that caters to those who only remain onboard while in port.

How do the rest of you feel about this issue?

I phoned Viking customer service today to verify this change. I was told that the change was the result of a survey of past guests. However, since our. booking was made under different terms and conditions, we will be following the previously posted dress code and a note was added to our booking to verify that we will not be turned away because of the no-jeans rule.

I voiced my displeasure with the change and will be reiterating that opinion in an email to their executive staff. One of the essential reasons we cruise exclusively on Viking (rivers and ocean) is because of the relaxed atmosphere. We travel for the destinations; the onboard ship amenities, while nice, are secondary. I would be very unhappy if Viking turned into an Oceania or NCL or one of the other cruise lines that caters to those who only remain onboard while in port.

How do the rest of you feel about this issue?

I'm glad that you called Customer Service. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and if a small but vocal minority is complaining about jeans in the dining room, then Viking is going to respond to that complaint, especially if no one is talking the other side of the issue. Therefore, it is just as important to express agreement with how Viking does things as it is to express disagreement --and perhaps even more important.

Well, I hope I can dress up and not behave like a "jerk".

We are all different and what someone else chooses to wear to dinner is fine by me, as long as I am given the same courtesy. I won't be wearing a ball gown but I will hopefully comply with Viking's definition of "elegant casual" in the evening. One of the reason's why I need a big suitcase! 😄

We are all different and what someone else chooses to wear to dinner is fine by me, as long as I am given the same courtesy. I won't be wearing a ball gown but I will hopefully comply with Viking's definition of "elegant casual" in the evening. One of the reason's why I need a big suitcase! 😄

I will not be wearing jeans to dinner either, and like to look nice. I'm simply saying that I don't base clothing on character.

I just laugh every time I see "elegant casual" because no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get the "elegant" part of the description, no matter what I choose.

I just laugh every time I see "elegant casual" because no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get the "elegant" part of the description, no matter what I choose.

Can you imagine a short chubby woman with grey hair looking elegant? Me either. I used to be auburn, but have embraced aging.

Can you imagine a short chubby woman with grey hair looking elegant? Me either. I used to be auburn, but have embraced aging.

LOL . . . but, just thinking you are dressed in "elegant" casual will bring a bright million dollar smile and you'll be set to make a grand entrance to dinner!

I phoned Viking customer service today...was told that the change was the result of a survey...since our booking was made under different terms and conditions, we will be following the previously posted dress code and a note was added to our booking to verify that we will not be turned away because of the no-jeans rule.

I don't mean to make too much of this dress code issue, but what do you mean "a note was added to our booking"? We leave in less than 4 weeks for our Christmas on the Med cruise and our paperwork has already been mailed. I'm afraid I'm just a jeans type of guy as I live in central Mexico and wear shorts and sandals 48 weeks a year. I do have several nice new Levis and sweaters from my former days in Denver. I'm on this cruise for the Med history/culture/archaeology and to enjoy seeing how Europeans celebrate Christmas, not wondering about dress codes. I've been on 9 riverboat cruises and this issue never came up.