Sailing before drydock

BecL

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has sailed right before a dry dock?

Looking at the Carnival Spirit from Syd to Singapore in May 2018 but it is the last sailing before she goes into dry dock.

I'm a little concerned that staff won't be as attentive or possibly some amenities won't be available etc.

Would love to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks for your help!

Can't answer your question but we are also looking at the Spirit there or back.....depending on how we find it on our 3 nighter;) I like the Syd to Singapore itinerary better, but would rather sail home:rolleyes:

Also waiting to see which Princess ship will sail our waters, heading over on October 2018, if its the Sapphire it will come that way from Europe, if its the Golden, looks like it will come from US, if we had more time would do them all!!!

We sailed the Solstice to Singapore just before dry dock. I had never sailed Celebrity before (and only once before that) so am uncertain how usual our experience was. The crew were great and the ship looked great as far as I could see. However they had run out of some of the teas in the Cafe and many of the wines I asked for were out of stock also. My husband asked for a couple of beer types that they didn't have. This was all that I noticed as perhaps being the result of heading into dry dock.

We were on Adventure a few months before dry dock. And, while we had a great time, we noticed the following: 1) crew was the grumpiest we ever had... dining room drink service guy was so awe full you wouldn't believe it. 2) ship seemed a little run down... paint was chipping in many places, it was a little dirty, etc 3) there was a very bad sewer smell on and off in the public locations the entire week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We got off the Royal Princess 24th Sept in Rome ( Mediterranean cruise) and she went straight into dry dock that day. The only thing we noticed a couple of days before was some timber and panelling strapped up on the top deck ready for her clean up.

Oh yes and a lot of happy happy staff going on leave.

We would have no hesitation on booking a cruise again prior to a dry dock.

Cheers

Johhno

We got off the Royal Princess 24th Sept in Rome ( Mediterranean cruise) and she went straight into dry dock that day. The only thing we noticed a couple of days before was some timber and panelling strapped up on the top deck ready for her clean up.

Oh yes and a lot of happy happy staff going on leave.

We would have no hesitation on booking a cruise again prior to a dry dock.

Cheers

Johhno

I think it would be better to cruise going into the dry dock, that the first cruise after. Perhaps the 3rd or 4th cruise after would be better again.

Absolutely no problem sailing before dry dock.

Sailed on Carnival Spirit last year Sydney to Singapore for dry dock refurbishment. Everything just the same and the crossing the line was just hilariously spectacular. Excellent pilot commentary for 2 days across the top end which was an unexpected highlight of the trip. Yes they did do some minor ongoing painting on the way and progressively roped off very small sections at a time of the top decks around the pool area and above while repairing. No problem to anyone.

Did Solstice last month to Singapore for dry-dock. Again no issues at all re the ship. Just great. Not even any small signs of repair work going on. The only problem I had was that the Cruise Director didn't bother to arrange the pilot commentary we had on Carnival Spirit. I spoke to the pilot who said he always did it on every ship but Solstice didn't ask him and even he was disappointed. When I followed up with him the C. D. told me he did request and the pilot said no. I believed the pilot. Also no crossing the line fun ceremony to Singapore. Again the Cruise Director couldn't be bothered.

So go for it they are both great ships, you miss out on nothing and you will probably pay less.

That top end commentary is fascinating. As you can imagine you get all the history of shipwrecks, individuals stranded on islands, the most daring voyages in dangerous tiny vessels... its incredible.

It was so disappointing that Ken the Solstice cruise director dropped the ball totally and was a teller of untruths about his failure. (Do you like my very polite expression of frustration?). It was a big discussion topic on board. So put pressure on whichever ship you sail on to do it when you go. Make sure you don't get Ken from Solstice and hopefully get Josh from the Spirit as your Cruise Director. Josh is no longer on Spirit so don't know where he may next turn up.

That top end commentary is fascinating. As you can imagine you get all the history of shipwrecks, individuals stranded on islands, the most daring voyages in dangerous tiny vessels... its incredible.

It was so disappointing that Ken the Solstice cruise director dropped the ball totally and was a teller of untruths about his failure. (Do you like my very polite expression of frustration?). It was a big discussion topic on board. So put pressure on whichever ship you sail on to do it when you go. Make sure you don't get Ken from Solstice and hopefully get Josh from the Spirit as your Cruise Director. Josh is no longer on Spirit so don't know where he may next turn up.

I do like your tactful explanation. I will definitely ask to ensure it happens when I cruise that area. I doubt he would go from Carnival to Celebrity but you never know.:D

I think it would be better to cruise going into the dry dock, that the first cruise after. Perhaps the 3rd or 4th cruise after would be better again.

I'd agree with that. People think 'new' is great - forgetting that's also when any issues/things not finished are most likely apparent.

I'd agree with that. People think 'new' is great - forgetting that's also when any issues/things not finished are most likely apparent.

Exactly, Inaugural cruises are known as shake down cruises for a reason, first cruise after dry dock would have some similarities.

As a CD Ken left a lot to be desired. He even used promotional photos around the ship of himself 40 kgs lighter in weight and made an absolute pig of himself eating pasta on one of his morning today shows. He also took credit for others efforts.