St.thomas docking

villager70

Independence docked at crown bay Yesterday . All Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships will use crown bay as royal had signed a contract that all ships will dock at crown bay. Heavensight will only see a royal ship is there are 3 scheduled in on one day as crown bay can only handle 2 ships. There is a shopping plaza there and it is a 5 min $4 taxi ride to Charlotte Amalie. Ships from the CCL brand lines and NCL will be at heavensight. Some of the shops have a location at both piers and crown bay has a shop that spoofs the older style eBay logo. Crown bay did not feel crowded at all

Independence docked at crown bay Yesterday . All Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships will use crown bay as royal had signed a contract that all ships will dock at crown bay. Heavensight will only see a royal ship is there are 3 scheduled in on one day as crown bay can only handle 2 ships. There is a shopping plaza there and it is a 5 min $4 taxi ride to Charlotte Amalie. Ships from the CCL brand lines and NCL will be at heavensight. Some of the shops have a location at both piers and crown bay has a shop that spoofs the older style eBay logo. Crown bay did not feel crowded at all

To add to the above...if there are ever 3 RCI ships due on the same day (doubtful)...the Oasis class ships will always be at Crown Bay...they can't dock at Havensight due to their size....Crown Bay was at one time a submarine dock and the reason for this.

We recently docked at Crown Bay on this year's repo cruise on Serenade from Boston and I enjoyed our time in the port and saw many of the same shops we have found at Havensight and downtown Charlotte Amalie on previous cruises. Ours was the only ship at Crown Bay and it was busy but not over-crowded. Change is sometimes upsetting to some but this is not one of those that should cause anyone much concern.:)

It all depends on the time of day as to that "5 minute" trip to Charlotte Amalie. We've experienced a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were in St Thomas on 4 Nov and we docked in Crown Bay. We were the only ship in St. Thomas that day. In the Captain's Corner yesterday, this was addressed. The understanding./agreement made by Miami with St Thomas is that RCI ships will dock at Crown Bay as the first "choice" and only go to Havensight, if as a pp said, there are more ships in than CB can handle, and Oasis class always docks at CB due to draft.

Our taxi ride into and out of Charlotte Amalie was less than 10 minutes each way.

Edited by BND

Sounds like our April 2017 Cruise on the Jewel to St. Thomas will be docking at Crown Bay. Has anyone walked from Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie? When we docked at Havensight before we enjoyed the walk back to the ship.

I wouldn't...however...check it out on the way into town and then decide if you want to make that walk for the return.

We have had no trouble at all walking from Havensight to town, sure parts of the

sidewalk are much better than other sections and it was all along the busy road, but

it was a nice walk. Trouble is...we were not impressed with down town. Really was

not worth the walk there...IMHO. However, we always did enjoy the shops and

restaurants near the Havensight dock and the Marina resort area.

Have not been to Crown Bay yet, so will hold judgement until we are there in

January.

Edited by island lady

Sounds like our April 2017 Cruise on the Jewel to St. Thomas will be docking at Crown Bay. Has anyone walked from Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie? When we docked at Havensight before we enjoyed the walk back to the ship.

So far we have always walked from Crown Bay to downtown. It is a bit longer than the walk from Havensight and not as nice as there is not much of a water view. But it is doable and there are sidewalks for the entire walk.

So far we have always walked from Crown Bay to downtown. It is a bit longer than the walk from Havensight and not as nice as there is not much of a water view. But it is doable and there are sidewalks for the entire walk.

Was there anything special in town you liked to visit? Maybe I just went to the wrong

areas, but we never found anything much of interest to us. We don't mind the walk.

Was there anything special in town you liked to visit? Maybe I just went to the wrong

areas, but we never found anything much of interest to us. We don't mind the walk.

I guess it depends on what people are into. After many visits to St. Thomas, last year I was finally able to get into Ft. Christian. It was open for a special occasion and I was told it will soon be open regularly. I always enjoy exploring a fort. I also like spending a little time at the open market. It gives me a chance to spend a little time talking with the locals.

I tend to agree that the best parts of St. Thomas involve getting out of downtown.

Do I understand correctly, as there are 4 ships in St Thomas the day we are there (according to CruiseTT: Queen Mary 2, Grandeur, Caribbean Princess, Allure), the Grandeur and Allure will be docking at Crown Bay?

Is there ANYTHING at that port?

There is some shopping nearby, but nothing to the extent of Havensight.

Do I understand correctly, as there are 4 ships in St Thomas the day we are there (according to CruiseTT: Queen Mary 2, Grandeur, Caribbean Princess, Allure), the Grandeur and Allure will be docking at Crown Bay?

Is there ANYTHING at that port?

There are some shops to check out. The ferry over to Water Island is also located at Crown Bay. And there is a yacht club next to the port. Other than that there is not much.

I guess it depends on what people are into. After many visits to St. Thomas, last year I was finally able to get into Ft. Christian. It was open for a special occasion and I was told it will soon be open regularly. I always enjoy exploring a fort. I also like spending a little time at the open market. It gives me a chance to spend a little time talking with the locals.

I tend to agree that the best parts of St. Thomas involve getting out of downtown.

We like history too, and the fort would have been interesting, but indeed it was

not open, that I remember anyway. There really was not much open at all actually,

must have been a Sunday perhaps.

We do the same thing and enjoy getting out and talking to the locals.