1 PM flight out of Heathrow? Did I mess up?

tammymacb

We're doing the British Isles in August of '17 and I recently bought airfare. We're flying out of Heathrow at 1305. I had planned on using Princess transfers from the ship. I recently read somewhere that I have to have a flight after 1400 to use Princess transfers. Somehow I mess up up!

We are flying home on a Tuesday. I guess I'll be hiring private transfers and carrying my own bags off the ship. Will I have enough time?

Normally drive time from Southampton to Heathrow is about 90 minutes, but as it is a weekday I would budget two hours.

At Heathrow the airlines are extremely strict about check-in deadlines. Most are 90 minutes, but you have to verify this with your carrier; could be two hours based on your destination.

So your airport check in time may be 11:30--or earlier. I would book a private car for no later than 9:00. Which puts you right on the borderline for having to self-disembark vs. being in the very first tag group. If the latter is later than 8:15 you probably will have to self-carry.

Edited by fishywood

When we took the Princes transfer to Heathrow last May, it took us 30 minutes on the bus to wait for other passengers. Midway to airport, we slowed down due to traffic for about less than 30 minutes, even if it was a Saturday, May 28. It did not bother us since our UA flight was 6pm yet, but may affect yours.

I would really reconsider if I were you! There's a reason why Princess has times for transfers set up. It's a long drive and Heathrow is awful! You possibly get to the airport around 11 or noon, but you have to allow an hour to two hours to reach the gate. I've traveled often to London.... my guess is you won't make it.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

The M3 from Southampton is a devil of a road, and is frequently jammed with traffic, as well as often having road works. It can significantly slow down your journey to Heathrow.

As this is a weekday, traffic will be even worse, especially in and around the city of Southampton, so you would definitely need to disembark as early as possible to have any hope of making check in on time.

I would book a private car as early as possible, but remember that 8-9.00 am is peak time so be prepared for slow traffic. Maybe you could consider using the train, although this can take 2 hours or more depending on which terminal you are leaving from.

Even once you arrive you still have Security to get through and that can be very busy.

Good luck and I hope you do catch your flight.

Edited by ellie1145

We had no problem making a 1:00 pm flight after our British Isles cruise last May. We didn't risk Princess transfers, used the car service from Smith's for Airports and highly recommend them. Service was reliable, friendly and efficient. I don't remember the price right now but I am quite sure it was less or no more than transfers for 2 ---- and there was no waiting for the bus to fill up, dropping other people off first, etc. We didn't bother to carry our luggage off, asked for an early departure slot and I think it was an 8:00 am pickup. We were at the airport a little after 9:30, and this was a Friday. No problem, and an enjoyable ride.

OK, I just called Princess and was told I can book their transfer as long as we fly after NOON?!

They said I will basically be guaranteed to make my flight. (And mind you, I will be buying travel insurance also).

I booked it.

According to your itinerary (from your other posts I assume you are sailing 8/17/2017) you arrive back in Southampton at 5 AM. Thus you are within the Princess flight guidelines:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp

LONDON (SOUTHAMPTON)

Princess offers transfers from London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

[...]

Disembarking Passengers

For voyages arriving in Southampton at 5:00 am, the earliest flight departure from Heathrow is 12:00 pm, the earliest flight departure from Gatwick is 12:30 pm, and the earliest train departure from Victora Coach Station is 11:30 am.

For voyages arriving in Southampton at 7:00 am, the earliest flight departure from Heathrow is 2:00 pm, the earliest flight departure from Gatwick is 2:30 pm and the earliest train departure from Victoria Coach Station is 1:00 pm.

Is Princess going to pay for food, lodging and another plane ticket if you miss plane due to bus waiting 45 minutes for someone who cannot find their black bag amongst thousands of other black bags. Happened to me this Spring in Rome with a shared ride situation. Luckily I had the moxie to get driver to find me another van ride. Almost missed my flight. Most flights back to States do one a day and they are full. Princess cannot guaranty anything.

We had no problem making a 1:00 pm flight after our British Isles cruise last May. We didn't risk Princess transfers, used the car service from Smith's for Airports and highly recommend them. Service was reliable, friendly and efficient. I don't remember the price right now but I am quite sure it was less or no more than transfers for 2 ---- and there was no waiting for the bus to fill up, dropping other people off first, etc. We didn't bother to carry our luggage off, asked for an early departure slot and I think it was an 8:00 am pickup. We were at the airport a little after 9:30, and this was a Friday. No problem, and an enjoyable ride.

There's probably a 95% chance I'll use a private transfer. I still think that's smarter. I just really want to make my flight.

I'm going to do our own walk off.

Andy yes, I am on the Aug 17th cruise. (And it just had a price drop! Woohoo!)

Also the day you arrive 29th August is day after their summer bank holiday, where people who commute weekly to London or heading home as almost end of school summer holidays will be adding to the traffic. Sorry dont want to put a damper on it, only to let you know so you can be prepared. All the best.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Nightowl50

There's probably a 95% chance I'll use a private transfer. I still think that's smarter. I just really want to make my flight.

I'm going to do our own walk off.

Andy yes, I am on the Aug 17th cruise. (And it just had a price drop! Woohoo!)

Do self walk off in the FIRST group and use these guys for the transfer.

They are excellent.

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

I emailed them. What do you think I should request for a pick up time?

No later than 8:00 a.m. that gives you 2 to 3 hours to get to Heathrow (yes, it can take that long) and a couple of hours checking luggage, going through customs, etc. Be prepared to do a lot of walking! On my last flight from London to the U.S., my gate was a 45 minute walk from the security gate....:mad: it may not be the case for you but....

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

No later than 8:00 a.m. that gives you 2 to 3 hours to get to Heathrow (yes, it can take that long) and a couple of hours checking luggage, going through customs, etc. Be prepared to do a lot of walking! On my last flight from London to the U.S., my gate was a 45 minute walk from the security gate....:mad: it may not be the case for you but....

You do not go through Customs departing a country. And there is no longer Passport Control departing the U.K. It's just like departing the U.S. - check-in, security, gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're doing the British Isles in August of '17 and I recently bought airfare. We're flying out of Heathrow at 1305. I had planned on using Princess transfers from the ship. I recently read somewhere that I have to have a flight after 1400 to use Princess transfers. Somehow I mess up up!

We are flying home on a Tuesday. I guess I'll be hiring private transfers and carrying my own bags off the ship. Will I have enough time?

book smithtotheairport.com you can book on line.. we have used twice great relieable professional service.