7.5 earthquake hits in Canterbury region of New Zealand

shrimp56

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86416268/severe-66-earthquake-hits-hamner-springs-felt-as-far-away-as-auckland

Noordam is on her way to Port Chalmers, which is 355km from Christchurch. The center was in Hanmer Springs, 134km north of Christchurch. Tsunami predicted.

I hope someone from the ship let's us know how they are doing.

=======

The water at Lyall Bay (South of Wellington) has reportedly been sucked out by 200m, and residents of low-lying areas are urged to evacuate and move to higher ground.

The area appears to have almost completely cleared out on the back of tsunami warnings.

Edited by shrimp56

That area truly is active with earthquakes, having had many in the last several years. So sad for the people who live there.

Thank you for letting us know about this one. I imagine the stewards on the ships are nervous about any tsunami hitting their home areas. I remember they were when I was there during an earthquake.

We just got off the Noordam's 39 day collectors voyage from San Diego to Auckland on Tuesday! We did the behind the scene tour and we were told if there is a tsunami that out at sea was the safest place for the ship and passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I live in Wellington. The 7.5 earthquake occurred just after midnight last night - really scary. The CBD is closed, hotels are evacuated, schools and universities closed, no interisland ferries running, all trains and buses cancelled and people urged to stay at home today. The CBD and port have suffered damage due to fact part is on reclaimed land. No danger from tsunami now. As the cruise season is just starting I don't know what effect the earthquake will have.

I live in Wellington. The 7.5 earthquake occurred just after midnight last night - really scary. The CBD is closed, hotels are evacuated, schools and universities closed, no interisland ferries running, all trains and buses cancelled and people urged to stay at home today. The CBD and port have suffered damage due to fact part is on reclaimed land. No danger from tsunami now. As the cruise season is just starting I don't know what effect the earthquake will have.

Thank-you kiwijohn. I am sorry for Wellington (and all affected area of course). I so enjoyed my day there last March, especially the Wellington Museum. Never made it to Te Papa as I also ended up spending time with the Fine Arts Academy people just across the street.

New Zealand is the most beautiful country and the people are so friendly - my heart goes out to them with this earthquake.

We were in NZ in January this year on the Noordam and just loved it.

The area around Christchurch is just stunning. We loved Akaroa in particular.

Bless them - my thoughts are with them.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Forums mobile app

My mom is on that cruise. Hopefully someone hears something to know their OK.

We rode out a tsunami on a cruise. We felt....absolutely nothing. The ship just goes out to deeper water until it passes. I am sure your mom is just fine. We didn't even realize people at home were worried when it happened to us because it didn't affect us on the ship.

My heart goes out to the people of New Zealand. We have a cruise there in 2 months. We've heard such wonderful things about the country and the people.