Fair upsell price on a 10 day cruise?

DaveOKC

Just being prepared in case I get an offer from HAL.

I am on a 10 day Koningsdam cruise in a Vista suite. Would like to see an upgrade offer to a Neptune (Signatures are limited and sold out long ago).

I know this is very subjective, but would like some opinions - what would you be willing to pay for this upsell?

I am on a 10 day Koningsdam cruise in a Vista suite. Would like to see an upgrade offer to a Neptune (Signatures are limited and sold out long ago).

I know this is very subjective, but would like some opinions - what would you be willing to pay for this upsell?

I would like to know the same thing for our New Year's cruise on the Eurodam. We have a VA category verandah and there are many SA Neptune suites available. So, I want to ask the same question too.

Depending on how badly you want it.... I expect a fair offer to be at 1/2 way between the cost difference (50%) or less. If it's 30 -25% of the cost difference it's a very good deal IMO.

Offers seem to vary on cruises - can be some steals and not so good a deal. No idea how they figure this out.

Best rule of thumb - figure out what you are willing to pay. Just because the offer is fair doesn't mean that you want to pay it ;)

All ships upsell prices or spread will be different based on ship/cabin category but we set the bar at 35% of the cost difference before we will make the additional expenditure.

Depending on the itinerary(port intensive) we wont pull the trigger unless its close to25%.

I don't get the 25 or 35% cap people put on the cost difference - if you want the upgrade and think the price is worth it, why not go for it. Nobody spends percentages - just dollars. The percentage cut just reflects how well the better cabins are selling on that particular cruise - not the value to me.

I don't get the 25 or 35% cap people put on the cost difference - if you want the upgrade and think the price is worth it, why not go for it. Nobody spends percentages - just dollars. The percentage cut just reflects how well the better cabins are selling on that particular cruise - not the value to me.

As I said, it depends upon how important it is to you. On a Vista, Signature and Prinsendam ship (haven't been on the Koningsdam), there are signature suites which do the trick quite nicely for a lot of people.

On the S & R ships, it's a verandah or a Neptune, so the value rises substantially.

Percentage cut shows what kind of a "deal" you are getting, but....if it's something you want, and you get it a discount, it's priceless. :)

You're really asking at what prices is a suite worth the additional cost. Only you know how much you have to spend and how you value the suite amenities. There are some who wouldn't pay much more than the cost of an inside to cruise in a suite. Just not that important to them. There are others who wouldn't cruise unless it was in a suite.

Here's an idea that may help.

Write down the cost you have paid for your existing reservation.

Write down the current cost of a suite.

Add $100 to the existing reservation.

If you think the upsell is worth it, keep adding until you don't feel comfortable spending the additional money.

Depending on how badly you want it.... I expect a fair offer to be at 1/2 way between the cost difference (50%) or less. If it's 30 -25% of the cost difference it's a very good deal IMO.

Offers seem to vary on cruises - can be some steals and not so good a deal. No idea how they figure this out.

Best rule of thumb - figure out what you are willing to pay. Just because the offer is fair doesn't mean that you want to pay it ;)

I totally agree with your remarks.

Dave, we were on a 14 day K'dam cruise in July and we had an aft-facing VS booked for $4100 pp. Three weeks out we got at upsell offer to a SS and NS. We didn't care what the SS upsell was as we wanted an aft-facing room, but since they had a wrap-around aft-facing NS for $1,700 pp we took it. The VS, SS and NS suites had been fully booked for awhile, so we were surprised when we got the offer.

On the other hand earlier this month again 3 weeks out, we got an upsell offer for a 17 day Hawaiian cruise on the Amsterdam for $1,450 pp and turned it down because we thought there was potential for a second round as there were 14 NS suites showing available on the website. After a week of silence, we called our HAL PCC. She checked and found that because they were above the "desired booked percentage" which probably included all the GTY bookings, they weren't going to send out a second offering. We then offered to pay $1,000 pp and they countered with $1,049 pp and we took it. Two days later they started placing the GTY folks into the remaining rooms.

I don't think we will ever pay $1,700 pp again for a 14 day cruise, but we're pretty happy with the $1,049 pp deal for the 17 day cruise. But as other folks have said, it's entirely up to you as to what price you're willing to pay.

BTW, we booked the 17 day Amsterdam VS (A) for $4,299 pp. With the upsell we paid $5,348 pp for a NS (SA) that was going for $8,399. You can do the math if you're interested in percentages, but to us that seemed like a pretty good deal.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

For our Westerdam cruise last week, we received an upsell email about four days before the cruise for a Pinnacle Suite. I didn't notice it for about three hours. The offer was $1149/pp in the email but when I called (with one left) it was down to $549/pp.

I do not think that it is any different than buying airfare or a cruise.

Know the pricing, understand what a good price is, and then determine your buy price.

If your number hits then be prepared to buy immediately. If your number does not hit then simply pass on the offer.

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. I know how much I would like to pay and wanted to be sure that my thoughts were at least somewhat in-line with what HAL normally does. I now feel pretty good about what I should offer/take IF Hal decides to send me an upsell.

The question remains: if you are offered better accommodations on a ten day cruise for $500 - what possible difference does it make if that $500 represents 20% of a $2,500 differential or 80% of a $625 differential? The upgrade would cost you the same - while the variance in the differential would be solely the result of how well the cruise was selling.

Does a deal have to be more costly to the other party for you to take it?

Think about it.

Agree.

Percentages do not matter to us. Most especially percentage discounts since these days they are often grossly inflated.

The ONLY consideration to us is the bottom line price and how it approximates our target price.

We don't spend percentages.

Edited by iancal

For those of you who have been offered up sales. Did you book directly through Holland or with Travel agent?

We book directly with HAL using one of their personal cruise consultants and have gotten both upsells and post upsell deals after they are no longer offering an upsell. The big difference between the two is that if you book directly with HAL you get upsell emails directly sent to you. If you go through an independent TA, communication to and from HAL will go through your TA.

We book directly with HAL using one of their personal cruise consultants and have gotten both upsells and post upsell deals after they are no longer offering an upsell. The big difference between the two is that if you book directly with HAL you get upsell emails directly sent to you. If you go through an independent TA, communication to and from HAL will go through your TA.

Correct but, some TA's have connections with HAL and get advance notice ;)

It all comes down to who's interested, invested in you as a client and will take care of you :)

A good PCC and a good TA are worth their weight in gold ;)

We use a PCC. The way I see it (I don't have a TA) is that the TA may go on a trip themselves at sometime and pass the responsibility of serving the client to another agent. They may - or may not pass on an upsell offer. Using the PCC, the upsell comes from Inventory Control directly to me. If I miss it, it is my fault.

We have received five upsell offers this way.

We use a PCC. The way I see it (I don't have a TA) is that the TA may go on a trip themselves at sometime and pass the responsibility of serving the client to another agent. They may - or may not pass on an upsell offer. Using the PCC, the upsell comes from Inventory Control directly to me. If I miss it, it is my fault.

We have received five upsell offers this way.

We are sailing New Year's Eve and I am wondering when they will offer upsells and or an upgrade. I think we're about 40 some days out from sailing. I know at the present time there are lots of SAs available. Most of the signature suites are gone and about four of another Neptune. We use a TA and I just worry that if something is available for us that the TA may not see it in time and I know both of these are time sensitive.

I would like to know the same thing for our New Year's cruise on the Eurodam. We have a VA category verandah and there are many SA Neptune suites available. So, I want to ask the same question too.

We are also on your cruise and took advantage of an upsell offer for a Neptune Suite today. Yes, it was a lot more than we normally upsell for on Disney, however, it is still a fantastic deal considering how much the suite is listed for.

We did use a TA (one we had not used before) and found them to be very helpful with regard to securing a desirable suite.

Hope you're able to snag one as well, if you're still interested!

We are sailing New Year's Eve and I am wondering when they will offer upsells and or an upgrade. I think we're about 40 some days out from sailing. I know at the present time there are lots of SAs available. Most of the signature suites are gone and about four of another Neptune. We use a TA and I just worry that if something is available for us that the TA may not see it in time and I know both of these are time sensitive.

The earliest I have seen upsells is around 3 weeks out.

Word of warning on the "available SA's". They may not all be available. If people have booked guarantees they will need to be assigned and only the remaining SA's will be available for upsells.

We are also on your cruise and took advantage of an upsell offer for a Neptune Suite today. Yes' date=' it was a lot more than we normally upsell for on Disney, however, it is still a fantastic deal considering how much the suite is listed for.

We did use a TA (one we had not used before) and found them to be very helpful with regard to securing a desirable suite.

Hope you're able to snag one as well, if you're still interested![/quote']Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Not knowing if you have stayed in an Neptune before, they are wonderful. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I might even call my TA to see if they've heard anything. So far I haven't received a call or an email, so we'll wait and see. Again, congrats! :)

Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Not knowing if you have stayed in an Neptune before, they are wonderful. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I might even call my TA to see if they've heard anything. So far I haven't received a call or an email, so we'll wait and see. Again, congrats! :)

Thank you very much! We have not sailed in a Neptune Suite before, as we have never even sailed HAL before! I have even managed to upgrade us while keeping it a secret from the rest of the family:) We do enjoy suites on other lines, so I know we're in for an enhanced experience, yet am trying to brush up on the perks specific to HAL. Can't wait to see my husband's face when he realizes I was able to arrange it without him knowing!

I hope you're able to arrange one for yourself very soon!