Grand to Hawaii-room with a window not balcony

Cruiser1862

We've cruised many times on Princess on the east coast going to the Caribbean. We've had mini suites (too large, not necessary to spend the extra money on them) and then we had balconies.

We are going on a 15 day cruise on the Grand next spring. To save almost $1000 we decided to go with a room with a window. If we want to save even more money we can get one with an obstruction. I was hoping someone here has stayed in a room with window and can give me their honest opinion. It is a 15 day cruise. We aren't in the room a lot, but do like to sit out there before getting ready for dinner. But, that's a lot of money to save.

To give a little more info, we are on the east coast, so we have to consider airfare plus hotel for a day or two prior to embarking.

Thank you for your input.

We are going on a 15 day cruise on the Grand next spring. To save almost $1000 we decided to go with a room with a window. If we want to save even more money we can get one with an obstruction. I was hoping someone here has stayed in a room with window and can give me their honest opinion. It is a 15 day cruise. We aren't in the room a lot, but do like to sit out there before getting ready for dinner. But, that's a lot of money to save.

Not to Hawaii but we have twice sailed on Grand Princess in an Obstructed OV room on Emerald Deck. Much, much prefer that location over the Unobstructed OV cabins on Plaza Deck. So go right ahead and save even more.

We've cruised many times on Princess on the east coast going to the Caribbean. We've had mini suites (too large, not necessary to spend the extra money on them) and then we had balconies.

To give a little more info, we are on the east coast, so we have to consider airfare plus hotel for a day or two prior to embarking.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Here's a link to a website created by CC member Renmar where you can view photos of many of the Princess obstructed oceanview cabins.

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/home

Early next year we're sailing the Star to Hawaii roundtrip LA...a drive to the port & an inside cabin works for us so we can afford to sail more often. ;)

Princess has a good Aloha Spirit Program for Hawaii itineraries:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/

Our exclusive "Aloha Spirit" program brings the sights and sounds of Hawaii to life on board with a wide variety of island-infused entertainment and enrichment programs, including:

Hawaiian Ambassadors on board every sailing

Lei-making workshops

Ukulele playing, and Hula dance lessons

Polynesian language classes

A special Grand Hawaiian Farewell Luau, where guests show off their new Hawaii-inspired talents

The Halau Hula Olana Folkloric Show — a Princess guest favorite

Hawaiian musicians, naturalists, and entertainers

The historic King Kamehameha Festival celebrated on board, as part of our Festivals of the World program

Edited by Astro Flyer

I had an obstructed windowed cabin on Princess to Mexico and it worked just fine for me. Depending upon your cabin locations safety equipment and life boat can obstruct some of your view. In my case if I looked directly forward I would see the end of a life boat; however, if I went up to window and look directly right I had a great view of the ocean - straight, up and down. The nice thing about these cabins are you get nature light and you get to see what the weather is like outside. Probably not a great choice if you like stare out of the window for hours. Anyway, some cabins have more obstructive views than other so you have to check the deck plans to see where your cabin is position. These cabins are certainly better than an inside cabin, you do save a lot of $$ plus these cabins are the same interior size as standard outside and balcony cabins. In some cases you can even Google a specific cabin # and see a pictures of the view from that cabin or at least you get an idea of what the views are like.

We've done three 17+ night cruises in inside cabins, and saved a considerable amount of money. On our last 20 night cruise the difference between an inside and a balcony was $5000. That's a whole extra cruise worth of savings. ;)

You soon work out alternatives to sitting on a balcony:

- sit out on one of the upper decks with a cocktail (or mocktail) before going to your cabin to get ready for dinner. At sunset this can be even better than a balcony as you can choose where you sit depending on the view.

- get ready for dinner early and enjoy a pre-dinner drink and some music in one of the bars

I hope you enjoy your cruise whatever cabin you choose.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I did the Hawaii RT from San Francisco on the Star in Feb. 2015. I had booked an obstructed OV (E 6??) but was upgraded to unobstructed (P307). The new cabin was very accessible to the International Cafe & other mid-ship sites.

However the window was of little use except for light as it was above my bed -- couldn't see out of it with out standing on the bed.

Now I have E633 booked on the Crown (similar to Grand). I used the link given above by AstroFlyer. In that cabin, the bed is on the wall at right angle to the window -- I can at least look out. I've specified No Upgrade unless to a balcony!

On the Star, I spent my "on the balcony, reading & gazing at the sea" time on Promenade (deck 7), even on the cool/rainy days.

Enjoy all those sea days!

For our January Hawaii cruise it'd increase our cruise fare by 33% to go from an inside to an OOV cabin. We have no problems with an inside cabin and will go outside for natural light & fresh air but that's not good for everyone.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Not on Princess but just finished our second HI cruise on Carnival in an obstructed cabin. Carnival considers them inside cabins. (Most have French doors that can be opened a few have picture windows. We rarely open the doors.)

First one had a view between the lifeboats, this one was fully obstructed.

We rarely spend time on a balcony, we only need natural light.

I have sailed in obstructed ocean view (window) and in balcony cabins. Balcony cabins are better. That's why they cost more and evidently many agree with me. Only you though can decide if it's worth the cost to you or not. To me it's worth it. If the balcony cabins weren't better they couldn't sell them for more as nobody would pay extra.

And it's not just the balcony. Balcony rooms are bigger than ocean view rooms on Grand class ships

If you think the spread in price is big on Hawaii cruises check out the price spread in Panama canal cruises.

In my opinion my little balcony is better than the Princess Sanctuary space.

Edited by jasmith52

We've sailed to Hawaii in an obstructed view cabin a couple of times. We were really happy with the choice. We spend most of our waking hours about the ship reading / people watching, attending the various events and just enjoying the sea view.

We prefer obstructed when it is just the two of us but when we are accompanied by a family member or two (about half the time) we then book a premium balcony or mini suite for the additional space.

With all of those sea days to sit on the balcony and not have to worry about getting dressed just go out and relax with morning room service coffee and breakfast, not to mention relaxing out there in the evening....we wouldn't think of anything but a balcony.....that's a WELL SPENT $1000

Thank you everyone for your responses. We decided to go with the obstructed view and since it was upgraded we got a cabin that has the "least amount of obstruction" according to our TA. Plus, it was upgraded to mid ship. I looked at the deck plans (thank you for the link) and it looks like it's going to be fine for us.

I will admit that there is nothing quite like a balcony. However, the difference in price is going toward our airfare and hotel. On the east coast we just have to drive down.

This site has a plethoria of information. I have a feeling I'm going to be very busy reading and gathering a lot of info.

Happy Sailing!!

Thank you everyone for your responses. We decided to go with the obstructed view and since it was upgraded we got a cabin that has the "least amount of obstruction" according to our TA. Plus, it was upgraded to mid ship. I looked at the deck plans (thank you for the link) and it looks like it's going to be fine for us.

I will admit that there is nothing quite like a balcony. However, the difference in price is going toward our airfare and hotel. On the east coast we just have to drive down.

This site has a plethoria of information. I have a feeling I'm going to be very busy reading and gathering a lot of info.

Happy Sailing!!

We just completed 15 day on the crown in October with Emerald obstructed view. My husband is usually a balcony only man........but did surprising well with this cabin. We could pop down to deck 7 to get outside when we wanted. We usually went up to the Lido deck for breakfast. We also went to have cocktails before getting dressed for late dining.

You can really make this work for you. We also live on east coast and had air and hotel to factor in.

We received a great last minute deal on our cabin. Would we do it again ....definitely.

We spend the sea days exploring the ship, playing trivia and enjoying the entertainment and fun on deck 5.

Port days were really busy and we were off the ship almost the whole port time.

Enjoy your cruise.

And it's not just the balcony. Balcony rooms are bigger than ocean view rooms on Grand class ships\

According to cruisedeckplans.com, balcony and ocean view cabins on the Grand are exactly the same size at 168 square feet of cabin space. Of course the balcony cabin does have an additional 46 square feet of balcony space. Interior cabins are slightly smaller at 160 square feet.

One thing to consider on a spring cruise to Hawaii out of San Francisco, is that it will probably be too cool for the 1st day or 2 and the on the last day to be able to comfortably sit on a balcony.

Edited by mreasier

And it's not just the balcony. Balcony rooms are bigger than ocean view rooms on Grand class ships

According to cruisedeckplans.com, balcony and ocean view cabins on the Grand are exactly the same size at 168 square feet of cabin space. Of course the balcony cabin does have an additional 46 square feet of balcony space. Interior cabins are slightly smaller at 160 square feet.

Princess suggests otherwise.. That the balcony cabins are indeed larger ...

Quotes from the Princess website:

<Balcony>

The spacious approximately 232 to 274 square-foot balcony stateroom is appointed with fine amenities and outstanding views from an approximately 47-square-foot private balcony

<Ocean View>

The Oceanview stateroom is approximately 163 to 171 square feet and features a picture window^ for memorable views.

Look at the attached photos - What do you think ?

I have stayed in both type cabins on a number of cruises and believe that the balcony cabins are indeed larger. Either way I had a great time - You're on a cruise - how bad can it be? Yet as I posted, balcony cabins are better, and for me, it's worth it to pay more for a balcony. On a Hawaiian cruise you'll be in that room 15 days (10 sea days) so you had better enjoy it.

Also for what it's worth...Princess has an ocean view cabin category called "Premium OceanView". They claim that those rooms are 206 square feet and are layed out like the balcony cabins sans the balcony. But the obstructed ocean view cabins we speak of are the smaller size.

I agree though, obstructed Ocean view rooms are a great value.

Grand_OV.jpg.875f27232b9cc55e05047f545a632edd.jpg

Grand_Balcony.jpg.52d579f796d90f6234c5ee8e3bbcf43b.jpg

Edited by jasmith52

I've sailed four times to Hawaii, twice in an obstructed view cabin. It's fine! I wouldn't pay for the balcony price either!

Same for us 4 cruises to Hawaii - 4 OV with slight obstruction. The first few days at sea and the last few days coming back are too cool to really enjoy a balcony. Bring light jackets and some long pants.

Be sure to look at Renmar's posts to choose an OV room - some sold as obstructed have very little obstructions. DH and I are booked on Ruby in E702, kids next door in E632.

We are booked for Spring 2018 RT SF - Hawaii in a mini-suite.

Not bragging, but turn about is fair play. We live 90 min from San Francisco so no air fare or hotels to the east coast like most the last 30 cruise we have done to the Caribbean.

So factoring in everything we saved by not going east I am actually money ahead. LOL

Hello everyone sorry to go off topic here however by reading we have some veterans on this route. I am looking at taking my dw and ds on a 15 day cruise LA to Hawaii and back. Just wondering how are the waters are they rough. My son is 5 and my wife is 3 months pregnant just wondering if we are pushing our luck doing this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk