New Lobster Restaurant on Half Moon Cay

taxmantoo

I second sail7seas' opinion. If you like spiny lobster, this is a nice option.

On the other hand, our ideal beach front lobster bake involves sharp, rocky sand, fleece, and lobstah fresh off the boat. :)

Being a former Key Wester, the only way I'd take part in this lobster event is if I could bring my own net and tickle stick, and catch the bugs myself. After all, that's the best part. Of course, I would then want to season and grill them the way I like. :)

Sounds interesting. Hope it is not too close to the "I could stay here forever" bar. One of our favourite spots ;)
From the linked article:

It's located on the beach, next to the "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever" bar.

We didn't know anything about this until it was too late to check it out. There was nothing in the Daily Navigator! :(

Edited by jtl513

From the linked article:

It's located on the beach, next to the "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever" bar.

We didn't know anything about this until it was too late to check it out. There was nothing in the Daily Navigator! :(

I saw that - which is why I hoped it wasn't too close. Not sure what the definition of "next" is. That will make the bar a lot more crowded I would think.

Oh well, it is what it is.

... hopefully there are enough other positive attractions to counter-balance this negative!!!

Well, you aren't forced to go there and sit with people who understand the "no shirt, no shoes, no problem" atmosphere :roll eyes:

Growing up part of my childhood on the beaches of Southern California, I understand and embrace the beach atmosphere that this brings. Now, if the Lobster Shack would have an appetizer of tortilla strips and hot sauce, I'd be there in a hot minute! That was my beach food of choice at my favorite beach back in the 60s. It would give props to East and West beach culture.

Edited by slidergirl

Sorry you missed the obvious sarcasm :rolleyes: of my post ...

I apologize, but in my defense, I didn't see anything to indicate sarcasm. I'm just too used to HAL people being so strait-laced and rabid adherents to what they consider the dress code should be (what, no FORMAL night???) ...

I'm still on there with the strips and hot sauce. And, it's hot sauce, not salsa...

I've been googling and searching to see just what Carnival is going to do, but have come up short. Anyone see anything at all on the Carnival side???

Edited by slidergirl

I can tell you one thing about Carnival..

Carnival may have it's downsides but on every Carnival cruise I've been on (3 recently) the service and employees are better than HALS!

From the cabin stewards to dining wait staff to cocktail service to bartenders to buffet staff.. the employees work harder to make your cruise enjoyable.. and it does!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IndyDenise

Well, you aren't forced to go there and sit with people who understand the "no shirt, no shoes, no problem" atmosphere :roll eyes:

Growing up part of my childhood on the beaches of Southern California, I understand and embrace the beach atmosphere that this brings. Now, if the Lobster Shack would have an appetizer of tortilla strips and hot sauce, I'd be there in a hot minute! That was my beach food of choice at my favorite beach back in the 60s. It would give props to East and West beach culture.

Also grew up in Southern California...and remember camping in Baja many many times with grandparents...and eating all the lobsters we could manage...They would build a big fire on the beach and cook them in a huge pot....that is the only lobster I knew...until I moved to the east coast....love them both:):D

And the sunsets were awesome...that is one thing I still miss!

Also grew up in Southern California...and remember camping in Baja many many times with grandparents...and eating all the lobsters we could manage...They would build a big fire on the beach and cook them in a huge pot....that is the only lobster I knew...until I moved to the east coast....love them both:):D

And the sunsets were awesome...that is one thing I still miss!

Question about cooking your Lobster on the beach..Did you cook them in Fresh Water or Sea Water?

Reason I ask is - When we used to fish off the coast of Jones Beach, Long Island, DH would fillet the fish immediately & then we froze our fish in salt sea water which we brought home with us.. The fish tasted just as fresh when we took them out of the freezer to cook them..

BTW.. I've seen some of your lovely Southern California sunsets, & am happy to say that we have beautiful sunsets over our water in SW Florida too.. DH dragged me away from the PC just a couple of days ago to see one of our best ones..:):)

Question about cooking your Lobster on the beach..Did you cook them in Fresh Water or Sea Water?

Reason I ask is - When we used to fish off the coast of Jones Beach, Long Island, DH would fillet the fish immediately & then we froze our fish in salt sea water which we brought home with us.. The fish tasted just as fresh when we took them out of the freezer to cook them..

BTW.. I've seen some of your lovely Southern California sunsets, & am happy to say that we have beautiful sunsets over our water in SW Florida too.. DH dragged me away from the PC just a couple of days ago to see one of our best ones..:):)

I'm assuming they used the sea water...we would usually be pretty far down into Baja...rustic camping back in the sixties! freezing in salt sea water sounds like a great idea:)

Yes...I miss the sunsets...my brother now lives in Baja California...right on the ocean...so we can watch the sun go down from his patio....love it

Another one that grew up in Southern California!

I think I spent more time at Tommy Burgers and the Labrea Tar pits instead of the beach ( parents hated the beach)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never got to do Tommy Burgers until I went to college up in LA. Frequented both locations - Beverly&Rampart and the one out in Van Nuys across from Busch Gardens (YES, there was a Busch Gardens amusement park in LA). Burgers, fries, and don't forget about the tamales - all smothered with that chili...

Back on topic - I asked about the Carnival offerings just as a compare & contrast scenario. From what I could find, it looks like HAL is just offering one dish - the lobster with "trimmings", so I was wondering what Carnival was offering.

Never got to do Tommy Burgers until I went to college up in LA. Frequented both locations - Beverly&Rampart and the one out in Van Nuys across from Busch Gardens (YES, there was a Busch Gardens amusement park in LA). Burgers, fries, and don't forget about the tamales - all smothered with that chili...

Back on topic - I asked about the Carnival offerings just as a compare & contrast scenario. From what I could find, it looks like HAL is just offering one dish - the lobster with "trimmings", so I was wondering what Carnival was offering.

Although I have no expectation of taking a Carnival cruise, I'm curious, too. I doubt there will ever be a large menu there, as it looks like a pretty small venue. They'll probably just do the same thing over and over, take your $20 and hand you a plate and turn to the next customer.

When I lived in the Keys, I always froze my lobster tails in a solid block of salt water. Any true salt knows that. ;)

Question for those who have cruised Princess ...

In general how does Half Moon Cay compare with Princess Cay .. Is there the usual BBQ lunch?

I've been to all the cruise lines private islands and let's put it this way....Princess Cays is my least favorite, and HMC is one of my 2 favorites (Labadee is the other). As for the beach itself, HMC is by far my favorite.

In short, HMC blows away Princess Cays, IMO.

For those interested, here's a link to a short video of Half Moon Cay shot by someone on the Koningsdam last week. It appears at 2:31 of the video.

Not quite what I expected. It is practically part of the bar. For those of you familiar with Jack's Shack at Grand Turk, it makes the Jack's Shack look like a palace :D Hopefully the lobster will be good once you find a place to eat it!

For those interested, here's a link to a short video of Half Moon Cay shot by someone on the Koningsdam last week. It appears at 2:31 of the video.

Not quite what I expected. It is practically part of the bar. For those of you familiar with Jack's Shack at Grand Turk, it makes the Jack's Shack look like a palace :D Hopefully the lobster will be good once you find a place to eat it!

Thanks for sharing the link :)

Thanks for the link ... There are more video clips too on YouTube. Looks a great beach destination. We stop there twice on our next two week cruise in the New Year. The Lobster Shack seems to be a speciality restaurant once ashore. There is presumably the usual free buffet too.