New Lobster Restaurant on Half Moon Cay

taxmantoo

Thanks for the link ... There are more video clips too on YouTube. Looks a great beach destination. We stop there twice on our next two week cruise in the New Year. The Lobster Shack seems to be a speciality restaurant once ashore. There is presumably the usual free buffet too.

There is definitely the free buffet on the island :)

There is definitely the free buffet on the island :)

We love HMC and can't wait for our visit in less than 2 weeks now. But, have found the BBQ on shore very disappointing. In fact, on our last cruise it was inedible. Hot dog bun was as hard as a rock! Very unimpressive salads, etc. So decided from now on will just enjoy the island and then return to ship for lunch. We go early anyway and are ready to leave by noon. That being said, I grew up in FL so "spiny" lobster is what I am used to and it suits me fine. May decide to try the new lobster venue. Hope to hear from anyone who has tried the new venue before we depart.

There you have it, when asking what is the difference between various cruise lines:

Cruisers visiting Half Moon Cay with Holland America's sister line Carnival also have access to the Lobster Shack, but Carnival will offer a different menu.

Maybe it will be "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" when the Carnival crowds show up.

As someone who sails both HAL and Carnival, that's kind of a snobbish, elitist attitude. What makes you think Carnival passengers don't want/like/appreciate lobster? That's fine if Carnival wants to feature another menu, but it doesn't imply that it's lower class.

Roz

As someone who sails both HAL and Carnival, that's kind of a snobbish, elitist attitude. What makes you think Carnival passengers don't want/like/appreciate lobster? That's fine if Carnival wants to feature another menu, but it doesn't imply that it's lower class.

Roz

not sure it was meant to sound snobish. Just highlighting there are difference demographics of passengers between cruise lines

Roz

Not to worry. I would take a great cheeseburger any day over lobster. Never have understood the fascination with lobster myself.

Just noting the fact Seattle views the two lines differently. But perhaps stated awkwardly. Thanks for asking for more into.

I hope someone who eats at the Lobster Shack will post a description of the experience. I go to HMC in December and I am not a fan of the BBQ so even though it costs more, I would rather have the lobster. I have a cabana for the day and was hoping to be able to take it back to the cabana to eat. Hopefully, someone will be able to tell me if this is doable or not.

I agree with those who love Caribbean lobster. Maine lobster is terrific, too, especially if it's reasonably fresh, but it's not exactly the only game in town.

Great memories of a cruise, going to a beach on Antigua decades ago (might have been a shore excursion because we wouldn't have known about it otherwise) and sitting at a picnic table with your feet in the sand eating that lobster fresh off the grill.

And other great memories of sailing into Anaegada, BVI, with friends on their sailboat to anchor the boat for the night and dinghy in for grilled lobster at tables on the beach.

It's a classic Caribbean experience and I'm so glad to know HAL is creating those memories for their passengers.

I hope someone who eats at the Lobster Shack will post a description of the experience. I go to HMC in December and I am not a fan of the BBQ so even though it costs more, I would rather have the lobster. I have a cabana for the day and was hoping to be able to take it back to the cabana to eat. Hopefully, someone will be able to tell me if this is doable or not.

I will be at HMC in about 10 hours and will gather all of the info on the lobster to include tasting the lobster. Will post tomorrow evening.

There you have it, when asking what is the difference between various cruise lines:

Cruisers visiting Half Moon Cay with Holland America's sister line Carnival also have access to the Lobster Shack, but Carnival will offer a different menu.

Maybe it will be "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" when the Carnival crowds show up.

Don't understand how HAL and Carnival will have different menus when both lines have ships at HMC same time. Last year when we at HMC there was a Carnival ship there also. They got to use "Island" tenders, we had to use ship tenders. Once on island all mingled together. Two separate menus seems difficult on those days.

Jane

Don't understand how HAL and Carnival will have different menus when both lines have ships at HMC same time. Last year when we at HMC there was a Carnival ship there also. They got to use "Island" tenders, we had to use ship tenders. Once on island all mingled together. Two separate menus seems difficult on those days.

Jane

Which ship were you on that was there at the same time as a Carnival ship?

Jane

Which ship were you on that was there at the same time as a Carnival ship?
And which Carnival ship? I have never heard of that happening before! Carnival and HAL pay different rates for cabanas - and maybe other things also - how did they handle that?

Edited by jtl513

Wow, Carnival has a lot of options! And HAL has just one? I want the Carnival menu!!!!!!!!!! (but I won't change lines for just one day's food)

I like the Carnival menu too :). Maybe HAL will have more options and the article just highlighted the lobster??? One can hope.

One reason we like cruising out of Port Everglades is the ability to have dinner at Kelly's Landing....the night before we board our ship. That restaurant (within easy walking distance of the Embassy Suites on 17th St) is like dining in New England with excellent chowder and real Maine Lobster! Some cruise lines (not HAL) are now offering Maine lobster (for a price) on ships. As to the warm water spiny things, they are certainly better then no lobster...but we would not drive 5 minutes out of our way for one.

Hank

I like the Carnival menu too :). Maybe HAL will have more options and the article just highlighted the lobster??? One can hope.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I am always turned off by posters on HAL boards immediately jumping to conclusions and criticizing something they have absolutely no knowledge about! Let's at least wait until we see the menu :rolleyes:

CrewNews,

Hope you and Joanie are having a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So far we are having a great time.

FWIW I found the lobster spot on HMC today. It is located next to the Wooden Bar. The island staff pointed me to the location after my asking about where to find lobster from the crews of the Veendam and Zuiderdam who had never heard of it.

With the exception of some signage, the lobster shack was deserted. It must not be operated by HAL. I will ask while on board.