Internet and Contacting Guests On Board

vacationer2323

Hi everyone, quick question about wifi cost on board regarding prices for the different options for the ROYAL PRINCESS.

Also, I saw in another post that there is a way to message other family members on board the ship for free using your iPhone. Just wondering if this is true and how it works (as we were thinking of using walkie talkies instead LOL)

Edited by vacationer2323

Hi everyone, quick question about wifi cost on board regarding prices for the different options for the ROYAL PRINCESS.

Also, I saw in another post that there is a way to message other family members on board the ship for free using your iPhone. Just wondering if this is true and how it works (as we were thinking of using walkie talkies instead LOL)

I don't know from experience about the walkie-talkies but I'm pretty sure they'll work OK depending on how much you're separated. As for the messaging, Princess at Sea provides that service. You do not need to have internet minutes to use it, just sign up (get an account) when you get onboard and away you go. You do have to share each other's instant messaging address but that's easy enough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's the Princess@Sea. No app to download. Once onboard, just turn your cell phone to airplane mode. Turn on wifi. Open your browser and connect to ship's intranet. Do the same with your companion's. Follow instructions on text messaging. Messages are checked manually. If you want to have instant notification, you need to use the ship's internet for a fee.

Look here, post #11 for the internet costs

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2423511

It's the Princess@Sea. No app to download. Once onboard, just turn your cell phone to airplane mode. Turn on wifi. Open your browser and connect to ship's intranet. Do the same with your companion's. Follow instructions on text messaging. Messages are checked manually. If you want to have instant notification, you need to use the ship's internet for a fee.

I used the Princess@Sea app on my last cruise and liked some of the features. The only problem with the messaging feature is that the recipient does not get any audible notification that they have a message, so unless they keep checking the app visually, they don't know they have a message.

I have the same questions! I've also heard people use walkie-talkies. Do these work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You might want to search this forum for the many threads on walkie talkies. and the majority of people will give you give reasons not to bring them, including that they don't work well on ships and that you'll just irritate your fellow passengers to the point that if you put down your device, it may suddenly end up in the ocean.

there are better ways to stay in touch with those in your party on board: notes (that's what my family successfully used on our last cruise), leaving messages on the in-cabin phones (there's usually courtesy phones around the public areas of the ship), talking over plans the night before or that morning when reading the Patter. some ships do have some sort of Intranet, but I'm not up on that. You may find definitive info on the Princess website.

FRS (family radio system) units work well in most parts of the ship. Just remember to speak in a normal volume (don't yell), so that you don't annoy other passengers.

AND, PLEASE!! set them to vibrate to alert user to a "call" rather than using some noisy alert tone, that could well be annoying to those around you.

AND, PLEASE!! set them to vibrate to alert user to a "call" rather than using some noisy alert tone, that could well be annoying to those around you.

Yes, PLEASE no obnoxious alert tones! There were some people doing this in Glacier Bay once and I was ready to track them down and throw the darn things overboard!

Here's a link to additional information about the onboard free Princess@Sea system:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

Years ago we tried using good walkie talkies which were practically useless on the ship & we could rarely communicate with each other unless nearby.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I used the Princess@Sea app on my last cruise and liked some of the features. The only problem with the messaging feature is that the recipient does not get any audible notification that they have a message, so unless they keep checking the app visually, they don't know they have a message.

My thinking is that this is a good feature, not a problem. I do not wish to hear constant alert tones while I'm on vacation.

Sometimes they can be frustrating to use since reception can be difficult, but they're still better than nothing at all.

No, because there are plenty of ways to stay in touch with others on board without using walkie talkies. I listed some. there are many, many threads on cruise critic that list some.