How Long out do you have to book a repostitioning cruise?

Kruzrk

Recently we decided to go on a repositioning cruise in April 2017 on the Celebrity Reflection, from Miami to the Mediterranean. I noticed that almost all of the Concierge rooms were already taken and the early dining option was completely filled. I now have started looking for same cruise in 2018 and again many of the concierge cabins are gone, just how far ahead do you have to book? I'm fearful that we already waited too long, considering my husband's health and age. Also do we have to get the travel insurance a full year and a half early if we book for 2018?

Recently we decided to go on a repositioning cruise in April 2017 on the Celebrity Reflection, from Miami to the Mediterranean. I noticed that almost all of the Concierge rooms were already taken and the early dining option was completely filled. I now have started looking for same cruise in 2018 and again many of the concierge cabins are gone, just how far ahead do you have to book? I'm fearful that we already waited too long, considering my husband's health and age. Also do we have to get the travel insurance a full year and a half early if we book for 2018?

Book as soon as it is available or you may miss out. Example - Infinity South America repo March 2018. Only 2 balcony cabins left. Suites are sold out. Sure, people cancel but no reason to wait.

Agree, some like the one way South American/Panama Canal repos are very popular, so book early.

Some TA cruises are popular, depending on the ports.

I like booking early, so I can make plans. No way will I wait until after final payment.

If you are looking at the Celebrity web site they do not list all the available cabins. I just checked the UK site and there are 40+ CC cabins available for the April 2017 TA.

I would suggest you call Celebrity or your TA and see what cabins are available in the locations you would like.

I booked the same type of cruise 2 years ago on Thanksgiving for the following spring. I tried to book a balcony cabin but was given a CC for same price. I can't say you'll be that lucky but just stated what to us. Wonderful cruise just confusing with all the time changes.

J.

The Insurance issue depends on if you want Pre-existing and/or cancel for any reason. Generally those need to be paid for at deposit. For just a general plan, usually up to 3 days before sailing is fine. Some depends on whose insurance you choose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also do we have to get the travel insurance a full year and a half early if we book for 2018?

You are only insured from the moment you pay your insurance, so if you want insurance fallback, yes, as soon as your travel is booked, insure it.

That said, there are lots of things to consider. If you've only paid a deposit, do you really need to insure it, or would you be willing to forgo the deposit (which might be cheaper than insuring the trip anyway!)? You mention a pre-existing medical condition, which you can't insure anyway. e.g. if that condition worsens, it won't be fair reason to claim insurance. And, if you're only worried about what might go wrong once the full fare is paid, or while you are actually traveling, then you can leave the insurance until those moments arrive.

Edited by Mr.Likable

Are you aware that the concierge rooms are the same size as the regular balcony rooms? The main upgrades to the concierge rooms are the fancier shower fixtures and the embarkation day luncheon.

If you want to do the Reflection repositioning cruise this April, I suggest you look into the pricing for both balcony and concierge rooms.

If you have never done a transatlantic cruise before you should also consider the location of the concierge rooms, as most are on higher decks where you may feel the motion more than on a lower deck if the seas should get turbulent. Good luck in finding a room that you would prefer.

You mention a pre-existing medical condition, which you can't insure anyway.

This is not correct. There are a number of plans that will cover pre-existing conditions as long as the policy is purchased prior to final payment and the individual is fit to travel on the day of purchase. Third party vendors are a good place to look for appropriate coverage.

I am confused. I did not think that the 2018 transatlantic itineraries had been released yet. Or are you not limiting yourself to TAs (you said Miami to Med so I assumed you were interested in TAs.)

As for travel insurance - it depends on what you want to cover. As another poster indicated - for pre-existing conditions to be covered you have to purchase at the time you book the cruise. I have opted in the past to wait until final payment - knowing that I can get my deposit back if I cancel. Then I opt for cancel for 'any reason' coverage with 75% of the cost of the cruise covered if I need to cancel. This works best for me because my cancellation is more likely to be due to factors other than my health. (Work schedule, issues with elderly parents, etc.) Insurance policies vary greatly, so you just need to do your research to see what is out there - and definitely read the fine print.

The Transatlantic cruises for the May, 2018 through April 2019 will become available during early December. I always book at the earliest opportunity to get the cabin I prefer. John

We have done many repo cruises (probably 2 dozen+) and sometimes will book them at the last minute (within 6 weeks of the cruise) which is when we have sometimes gotten absolutely amazing deals! On one particular RCI cruise, DW figured they were actually paying us to take the cruise (after adjusting what we paid against all the free booze we got as Diamond members). But playing the waiting game is not for everyone.

Hank

Keep looking every day (even multiple times daily). Occasionally cabins will become briefly available as people cancel. This is especially true as the final payment dates draws closer. Meantime, book a cruise as soon as it becomes available. You can always cancel if a cabin becomes available on another cruise sooner.

This past August we were on a Bermuda cruise and decided to book the New England/Canada cruise for Sep 2017. There was only one concierge class cabin left. We took it, but really only like to travel in Aqua. Sure enough, about 2 months later an Aqua cabin became available. It was very late, but I called my online TA immediately to transfer us to that cabin. In about 2 hours time our abandoned C1 cabin showed up as available (and was gone again within 3 hours).

Also, do not rely on anyone telling you there is a waiting list. I don't believe there is any such thing until very very close to sailing.

Did 2 TAS this year on Reflection, both booked 6 weeks or so out. Have now done 10 of them. To me a balcony is unnecessary since there is nothing but black water out there. In port you will be off ship. TAs make wonderful bargain cruises.