Guarantee cabin assigned- RC says I can't change room?

mistyraj

I also think GTY assignments shouldn't be given out ahead of sailing. The porters at the pier all have a manifest and can still accurately tag luggage. It would actually reduce the change requests since there'd be no time to do it anyways.

To those that luck out booking an interior or OV and get a balcony, I say good bet on your part :cool:

On NCL, if you book a guarantee, you are stuck with your cabin, unless you pay for an upgrade. It's a gamble, but you pay a lower price for your category, and might get a higher category. Why wouldn't you book a guarantee if you had the option of choosing your cabin if not happy with the stateroom assigned?

Because you don't always have the option of choosing your cabin. Many times you are assigned the last cabin in the category or there are only a couple of cabins left all of which are in undesirable locations. Also within many of the super categories like interior there are subcategories like cat Q that have very few cabins all in poorer locations that often get assigned to fill the guarantees. It really is still a crapshoot when booking a guarantee as you may not be able to change to a better location.

I also think GTY assignments shouldn't be given out ahead of sailing. The porters at the pier all have a manifest and can still accurately tag luggage. It would actually reduce the change requests since there'd be no time to do it anyways.

To those that luck out booking an interior or OV and get a balcony, I say good bet on your part :cool:

That is a very good idea. The other option is to give them out 24 hours in advance along with the pricing for upgrading to more expensive categories. No lateral moves allowed, only for a fee upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a very good idea. The other option is to give them out 24 hours in advance along with the pricing for upgrading to more expensive categories. No lateral moves allowed, only for a fee upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good idea to me. Allows those to move up who want to (space permitting) for a fee, and protects the integrity of the booking process for all. One could argue if the current US way is better than the current UK way or not, but one could not say they are equitable.

The likely explanation as to why US/Canada are allowed to change their cabins after being assigned is due to our cancellation penalties or lack thereof.

In other countries you cannot cancel after booking without paying a penalty so Royal knows that they can refuse to let people change rooms.

In the US/Canada as you can cancel without penalty up until 90 days prior to sailing people could just cancel and rebook if they did not like their assigned room. It saves time and paperwork just to allow people to switch within the same category.

I realize that many rooms are assigned after final paymemt but there are just as many assigned before. It's most likely easier just to have one policy regarding switches than to have different policies depending on when the cruise was booked.

Also consider that most people do not know that you are able to switch and it's only those on here that realize that you are able to do this. In the grand scheme of things you are talking about an insignificant amount of the overall cabins booked to worry about it.

So I called again and this time was able to change my cabin number with no problem- as said earlier I have always been able to change a guarantee cabin once it had been assigned in the UK but it seems I may have just gotten lucky each time as other UK residents have not had the same service. I have been upgraded from inside guarantee to balcony before and even changed that cabin. I didn't realise the policy for U.K. and US was different for changing guarantee rooms, but will definitely consider that when booking next time. This time was £1.4k difference so I had to take the risk and go with it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The likely explanation as to why US/Canada are allowed to change their cabins after being assigned is due to our cancellation penalties or lack thereof.

In other countries you cannot cancel after booking without paying a penalty so Royal knows that they can refuse to let people change rooms.

In the US/Canada as you can cancel without penalty up until 90 days prior to sailing people could just cancel and rebook if they did not like their assigned room. It saves time and paperwork just to allow people to switch within the same category.

I realize that many rooms are assigned after final paymemt but there are just as many assigned before. It's most likely easier just to have one policy regarding switches than to have different policies depending on when the cruise was booked.

Also consider that most people do not know that you are able to switch and it's only those on here that realize that you are able to do this. In the grand scheme of things you are talking about an insignificant amount of the overall cabins booked to worry about it.

I always thought it was odd that they would assign a cabin before final payment date.

Best of news!! We got our guarantee cabin assignment Wednesday. They were apart but on the same deck. I tried to call yesterday but they were closed for the holiday.

I called early this morning and got both rooms moved to a location where they are next to each other, no questions asked.

The wife is much more comfortable now. And we can refocus on planning to have a fun time.

Best of news!! We got our guarantee cabin assignment Wednesday. They were apart but on the same deck. I tried to call yesterday but they were closed for the holiday.

I called early this morning and got both rooms moved to a location where they are next to each other, no questions asked.

The wife is much more comfortable now. And we can refocus on planning to have a fun time.

Was your reservation with RC direct? And US or U.K.? Or anywhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums