Dinner with Senior Officers

Very tacky. We were invited to the captains table one night in Windstar, and the first officer took an empty seat at our table for eight one night. While they were enjoyable table mates, I would never pay to dine with one. Absurd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the point of dining with officers or the Captain was for THEM to choose whom they wish to dine with...regardless of C&A status. Someone they might find interesting.

LOL, nope Hosting a table is not about giving the Captain / Officers some interesting conversatoins. It´s always about pampering the ego of some guests.

LOL, nope Hosting a table is not about giving the Captain / Officers some interesting conversatoins. It´s always about pampering the ego of some guests.

That depends on the cruise line. We had no status on Windstar. I think the First Officer chose to sit with us as he and my husband had a common engineering background and he wanted to continue a conversation about something they had touched on earlier that day while we were visiting the bridge. (Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos walk into a bar...)

I believe we were invited to the Captain's table as he came from the same "wee village" my sister lived in for three years while doing some post-doc research in Europe, and I had mentioned how much I enjoyed a historied shop there when I visited while we were both getting tea at the same time a few days earlier.

That depends on the cruise line. We had no status on Windstar. I think the First Officer chose to sit with us as he and my husband had a common engineering background and he wanted to continue a conversation about something they had touched on earlier that day while we were visiting the bridge. (Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos walk into a bar...)

I believe we were invited to the Captain's table as he came from the same "wee village" my sister lived in for three years while doing some post-doc research in Europe, and I had mentioned how much I enjoyed a historied shop there when I visited while we were both getting tea at the same time a few days earlier.

Thanks for confirming my post. :p Looks like they did a great Job on making the DYKWIA´s think what they wanted to think about why they were invited.;)

Thanks for confirming my post. :p Looks like they did a great Job on making the DYKWIA´s think what they wanted to think about why they were invited.;)

Hardly. Thanks for confirming the fact that you know absolutely nothing about that cruise line. With only 200 passengers on board, many doing back-to-backs, the chances are pretty high that everyone will dine with an officer at least once. We were in the cheapest cabin, so that makes no difference, either. As I said--had you chosen to actually comprehend--we were already seated with five others at a table for eight when the First Officer asked if he could join us.

Ironically there was a DYKWIA couple on board, they spent the entire cruise either complaining about the fact that they had to pay for Internet and it was too slow and they were having trouble keeping up with their large staff of housekeepers, nannies, groundskeepers, estate managers, et al for their six massive properties around the world, or bragging about the same. They seemed to be one of the few who weren't invited to dine with the captain and the first officer seemed to avoid them because of the complaints about Internet speed.

By the way, First Officer and my husband still email each other regularly, and he has called a couple of times.

Edited by ducklite

Have to "somewhat" disagree on this one. It is an added perk if you want to call it that for high tier D+ and Pinnacle, although Suite guests are also included in an invite to the Captains Table. It does vary by ship, but can honestly say my wife and I do enjoy the dinner, conversation and getting to know some of our table mates. I think RCL does a great job with this and being able to duplicate this with some of the same Captains over the years has also turned into a pleasant experience....K.O.:)

They apparently find anybody interesting - that is willing to pay $45...:D

Wonder if you need to tip them after dinner!:p

I wouldn't be surprised to see a charge for 18% on that package.

Who in the world would actually want to do this? Even if it was free; it's super weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums