Balcony and young kids

gmkgks

We have a 7 year old and a 13 year old. My husband just upgraded us to a balcony room and I'm terrified about the 7 year old having access to the balcony. Of course we would never let her out there and will lecture her with the strongest of language, but she's fearless and defiant. I don't want to spend my whole cruise worrying that while we are asleep she will try to go out there. We would never leave her in the room alone but I'm still worried. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A 7 year old will do as you say, I'm sure! And think of it like this....have they ever fallen off your deck, or over the stair railing at home? Kids have an amazing "self preservation" thing....

Also...cabins are pretty tight...unless you sleep the "sleep of the dead", you will hear every move they make...and you are only2 steps away from anything in the cabin!

If you are totally terrified, get some bells (this is a good time of year for it...craft stores!) and tie them to some dental floss and wrap it around the handle on the door. You'll hear it!

I've found that most kids don't give a fig about the balcony!

What cruise ship/line? Are you afraid she might fall overboard? It would be very difficult. She would have to be trying to climb up on the railing or stand up on a chair near the railing. The balconies I've had all have tall glass railings.

As for her trying to open the door and go on the balcony while you are asleep, could you put a suitcase or chair in front of the door before you go to sleep? If she had to move things, in the dark, would it wake you up? The opening of the balcony door alone would wake me up.

Edited by wampuscat7

Out of the thousands of kids who cruise every year, how many have fallen off a balcony? It's never happened. Your plane is more likely to crash, and your car is way more likely to crash on the way to the airport than your plane crashing.

Keep your balcony, you will feel safe once you are on the ship. She is just as likely to fall off a deck.

There are little travel alarms you can buy that go off if a door is opened (meant for hotel room doors for extra security). Others here have used them for peace of mind. Worth it to be able to sleep at night without worrying.

All the best' date='

Mia[/quote']

I second this recommendation - we used these when the grandchildren were small (after two of them decided to play camping in my walk-in closet and pulled the clothes down to make a tent). At 7, she is certainly old enough to know that if she defies you and goes out onto the balcony alone there will be serious consequences.

I do not have children, but I can tell you having gone on many cruises it is almost impossible to accidentally fall over a balcony -- private or public. If you have to really be doing something crazy and stupid -- I mean like climbing over chairs and tables to get to the top of it. I'm only 5 feet tall and there's no way I could lean over the balcony much less fall over it.

My son could open a locked balcony door and the cabin door on Princess at the age of 2. I never left him in the room alone, or on the balcony alone (he'd need to climb on furniture to fall overboard but it could happen). But at the age of 7, I wouldn't worry unless your child has a history of behavioral issues. If it buys you peace of mind, the alarms sound like a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

We let our 5 year old play out on the Balcony by herself on our last cruise. We had some play-do, and it was the best place for her to play without making a big mess.

I think it is safe. How many apartment dwellers restrict their 7 year old from going on the balcony? If there are behavioural issues, that may be another story, but a normal 7 year old should be safe.

Depends on your kids and the ship. My daughter at 7 could open the door but is so rules oriented I have no issues with her on a balcony. ...my son is a different story. The ship can also make a difference. The NCL sky had a rod railing that I would not trust any child on.

Edited by williamsk

I doubt very seriously you have anything to worry about. I think once you're in the cabin you will be able to relax. (I'm assuming this is your first balcony)

I'm an almost 200lb man and I have to make an effort to open a balcony door on any ship I've been on - including even the ones with sliders. Unless your 7 year old has super human strength they won't even be able to open the balcony, much less do it without you knowing. If you're sailing on Carnival then forget about it, their are damn near impossible to open for an adult!

There are high locks on the door. We have stayed in balcony cabins on all our cruises since the kids were 2. Mine are climbers but never felt the urge because they could easily look out through the glass. The doors were heavy and not easy to open. Just make sure they are not out alone. Really shouldn't be an issue. The railings are quite high.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which line and ship?

Some lines use easily opened sliding doors (Princess). Others have hard to open doors with heavy duty automatic closers (Carnival).

If you're concerned about a defiant 7yo, it's probably not a good idea to go on a cruise. Yes, I'm thinking extreme but would the OP be asking if the child wasn't at the high end of defiance (diagnosed ODD, oppositional defiance disorder)

Edited by SadieN

• 4 weeks later...

Also remember that specific cabins can have a push open door vs sliding door

Example: deck 8 corner aft on freedom class ships of RCCL are push open but most others are sliding including deck 7 corner aft just underneath or give deck 8 aft nextdoor

• 2 weeks later...

My son is/was very active at that age and a risk-taker. I judge no mother for asking this very legitimate question. If you are concerned, listen to your gut. If you stay with the balcony room, bring some items to help you keep your child safe. You know your child in terms of whether setting limits verbally is enough. If you are concerned, I like the idea of the alarms some have suggested, or, you could rig something. When my active guy was younger, I always traveled with duct tape, a little twine or rope and various small child/proofing items. I could usually childproof the room enough so I could relax. Also, I have seen very small and packable sliding door security items that could possibly secure a balcony door. I would try to find a photo of the balcony door from your particular ship or ask another cruiser to take a picture for you. That way, you can plan. BTW, the cabin doors that lead to the hallways do not have deadbolts for safety reasons in case of emergency. That may be something to consider also. I am sure all with be fine, but I totally support you for asking!