I would choose Allure over Harmony

Just got back from the Harmony's maiden voyage to the Eastern Caribbean and want to say the ship is AMAZING!!! With that said, my next caribbean cruise will be on the Allure for a handful of reasons. No losers in this comparo, just helping others with their decision based on what is important to them.

Slides

The Ultimate Abyss was pretty slow for all the hype. I was more worried about getting stuck than I was thrilled. My son (age 7) enjoyed the Perfect Storm water slides but daughter (also 7) was not tall enough. I could have done without them. Kids liked them but as a grown-up I don't need the slides.

Sabor vs Rita's Cantina

I prefer Rita's, by far. Much bigger portions at Rita's, felt more generous. I missed the fajitas! Winner = Allure

Solarium

The Solarium on the Harmony does NOT have a pool!! Plenty of hot tubs, and a spray area (that I did not see anybody use), but no pool. We missed this. Solarium seems larger on the Harmony but the view outside did not seem as good. I liked the 2-person love huts on the Harmony... but I don't recall if Allure had these or not. Winner = Allure

Samba vs Solarium Bistro

As a fan of Brazilian Steak House, I was sad to see that Samba did not make it to the Harmony. The Solarium Bistro was nice, easy to walk in and be seated (did not have reservations), and the food was good. Part menu service, part buffet, I enjoyed the Solarium Bistro. Winner = Allure

My Time Dining via the Main Dining Hall

If you wanted to eat at the main dining hall on the Harmony (we were assigned to Silk), you had to book it in advance or settle for an 8pm or later dining time. I never had this problem in my two times sailing the Allure... was able to walk-in and be seated shortly. Not sure if these are just early teething pains on the Harmony or a new fact of life. On the bright side, it was easy getting into the Windjammer. Winner = Allure

Staterooms

I prefer the room design on the Harmony, felt like a better use of space. I always book oceanview balcony and enjoyed my cabin on both Allure and Harmony. Winner = Harmony

Boardwalk

No more donuts on the boardwalk! The ultimate abyss exit is where a bar is on the Allure. Merchandise center is now on the Boardwalk rather than the Promenade. Starbucks is nice but Harmony is missing the ice cream shop. Winner = Allure

Let me know if any questions!

Just got back from the Harmony's maiden voyage to the Eastern Caribbean and want to say the ship is AMAZING!!! With that said, my next caribbean cruise will be on the Allure for a handful of reasons. No losers in this comparo, just helping others with their decision based on what is important to them.

Slides

The Ultimate Abyss was pretty slow for all the hype. I was more worried about getting stuck than I was thrilled. My son (age 7) enjoyed the Perfect Storm water slides but daughter (also 7) was not tall enough. I could have done without them. Kids liked them but as a grown-up I don't need the slides.

Sabor vs Rita's Cantina

I prefer Rita's, by far. Much bigger portions at Rita's, felt more generous. I missed the fajitas! Winner = Allure

Solarium

The Solarium on the Harmony does NOT have a pool!! Plenty of hot tubs, and a spray area (that I did not see anybody use), but no pool. We missed this. Solarium seems larger on the Harmony but the view outside did not seem as good. I liked the 2-person love huts on the Harmony... but I don't recall if Allure had these or not. Winner = Allure

Samba vs Solarium Bistro

As a fan of Brazilian Steak House, I was sad to see that Samba did not make it to the Harmony. The Solarium Bistro was nice, easy to walk in and be seated (did not have reservations), and the food was good. Part menu service, part buffet, I enjoyed the Solarium Bistro. Winner = Allure

My Time Dining via the Main Dining Hall

If you wanted to eat at the main dining hall on the Harmony (we were assigned to Silk), you had to book it in advance or settle for an 8pm or later dining time. I never had this problem in my two times sailing the Allure... was able to walk-in and be seated shortly. Not sure if these are just early teething pains on the Harmony or a new fact of life. On the bright side, it was easy getting into the Windjammer. Winner = Allure

Staterooms

I prefer the room design on the Harmony, felt like a better use of space. I always book oceanview balcony and enjoyed my cabin on both Allure and Harmony. Winner = Harmony

Boardwalk

No more donuts on the boardwalk! The ultimate abyss exit is where a bar is on the Allure. Merchandise center is now on the Boardwalk rather than the Promenade. Starbucks is nice but Harmony is missing the ice cream shop. Winner = Allure

Let me know if any questions!

Rita's Cantina no longer exists on Allure. It is now Sabor as well with exactly the same menu from Allure to Harmony.

As for dining, part of the "new and improved technology" is trying to push you more into the planning of your trip (and making daily reservations)...which makes "walk-in" for MTD much harder.

I enjoyed Samba Grill on Allure, but I don't think I'd do it again. I like meat, but overall there was nothing that WOWed me in terms of the selection.

I haven't been on Harmony yet (I'll be on in January), but I'm really looking forward to the slides (27 years old). Slides are something that a large majority of the crowd here on CC has been asking for for years and I think Royal delivered better than most people imagined they would.

Glad you enjoyed your time on Harmony. I look forward to my time :P

Edited by rbschultz

Not trying to be "that guy" but Rita's was replaced by Sabor on Allure. I really enjoyed Sabor but I never went to Rita's so I can't compare to the two.

I did have a question about Harmony, is there a place to buy candy by the pound to bring back to your room? On Allure it's called Candy Beach and was in the boardwalk area.

Thanks! Maybe it has been a bit since you've been on Allure, but it is now Sabor on the boardwalk rather than Rita's. Curious to see if it is more similar to the one on Harmony or if it is more like Rita's. I will be on allure in about 6 weeks so I will report back on that!

EDIT: Wow quite a few people replied with the same comment as me lol!

Edited by atnolan94

RIP Rita's then!! Thanks all for letting me know it has been replaced.

MacMarauder, there is no candy shop on the Harmony boardwalk.

I have cruised the Allure twice: Feb. 2012 and March 2015. If I knew that My Time Dining was getting tougher, I would have just picked a set time to dine! Is this a company-wide shift? I also remember the lobby displays to show a meter for how full the restaurants are... now I'm directed to use my phone or a Royal IQ station, which just tell me that nothing is available. :(

I have cruised the Allure twice: Feb. 2012 and March 2015. If I knew that My Time Dining was getting tougher, I would have just picked a set time to dine! Is this a company-wide shift? I also remember the lobby displays to show a meter for how full the restaurants are... now I'm directed to use my phone or a Royal IQ station, which just tell me that nothing is available. :(

I believe all the new ships are going to be loaded with the RFID cards/bands + Royal IQ scheduling.

At some point Allure and Oasis were scheduled to get those changes too...maybe that was scrapped with Dynamic Dining...

I was surprised to see that the largest cruise ship had the smallest merchandise/logo store I have ever seen on a ship. I sailed a two-day promo cruise on Harmony (which was great), but even with a ship that was nowhere near passenger capacity, it was literally impossible to even get in the store at times. And their storeroom for replenishment was all the way forward.

UUUGGGHH...we have Harmony booked for Sept. '17, but keep going back and forth if we should switch to Allure (alot less expensive for same cabin type), and Allure has Mama Mia. We have been on Oasis already, so now I'm even more uncertain....My DH told me to just leave it with Harmony since it's the newest, etc. etc..., but I'm the one who does all the research and planning.

Bummer! Was nice to have candy for night snacking on Allure since I was sailing with a toddler who went to bed at 7:30pm, but I suppose by the time I actually get to Harmony the little guy will be staying up later anyways. Thanks for the info!

On the Harmony now. Sailed on the Allure a couple of years ago. No candy or milkshakes. Coach store replaced by another high end watch store. Not interested. I agree with the other poster, tiny ship store. We're in a balcony room. Much better on the Harmony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another "thank you" for posting your comparisons.

We have sailed Allure twice, last time was in May this year and sailed the Harmony Transatlantic in October.

I would choose Allure before Harmony too.

I prefer the cabin decor on Harmony as it is exactly like Quantum which we loved but there are just too many gimmicks on Harmony .

Harmony is missing a retractable bridge on the Royal Promenade so for any displays/performances they put together a glorified trestle table in front of the car which is only about 3 foot off the floor so you still cannot see anything. It caused more of a bottle neck outside Guest services/Cafe Promenade than anything we ever experienced on Oasis or Allure.

I thought it was quite neat when the globe opened up on the sister ship , forget if it is Oasis or Allure , and a glass bridge came out and rested on the lamp post for support, everyone on the Royal Promenade had a view of what was happening.

Now if you want to see what is going on on Harmony you have to stake a place in the Schooner bar or photo gallery.

Edited by heatherb1958

UUUGGGHH...we have Harmony booked for Sept. '17, but keep going back and forth if we should switch to Allure (alot less expensive for same cabin type), and Allure has Mama Mia. We have been on Oasis already, so now I'm even more uncertain....My DH told me to just leave it with Harmony since it's the newest, etc. etc..., but I'm the one who does all the research and planning.

which is why you should never listen to people opinions on this site.. The last poster said she would pick the Allure over the Harmony because they couldn't see some silly show??? Like really?

People try in their minds to negate the fact that since they are paying a lot less that it'll really be just as good as the other boat since their not paying more and try to justify that. It's plain and simple you pay or you don't and you make the most of out each trip not try and justify the reasoning for spending more or less.

For some reasons I don't like to repeat a ship unless I don't have any other option. Having that said I can't wait for 2017 to sail onboard the Harmony, I'm just giving her a few months until Ken Rush is no longer the CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So are you saying they don't have true MTD on Harmony where you can go to eat when you feel like it in the MTD diningroom?

They *claim* to, but I saw walk-ins turned away at 6:00 (sorry, we're booked all night... try Windjammer) and trying to get reservations later in the week the earliest available was typically after 8pm.

Thats what swayed us. While on the Anthem we booked another cruise. We originally booked the Harmony, but then we changed it to the Allure. The Harmony was almost $2000 PP for a D2 ($1899) We paid $2300 total for two people on the Allure for the same dates and itinerary.

We agree with the op. We prefer Oasis or Allure to Harmony. We were just on the inaugural Eastern Caribbean sailing, we had a nice time, but there were many glitches and changes we weren't fond of. We expected to have some, but we weren't alone in our disappointment. We are all looking for something different when we cruise, and we are just offering our opinion of our personal experience. We felt the same about many changes that were made on Harmony and already mentioned in this thread. I think everyone should sail and draw your own conclusions on any of the ships. Luckily RCI has many wonderful ships to chose from! For us, we'll be booking Allure next!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was happy to post my thanks for the OP's post and didn't want to "contradict" him, but YOUR post makes me say this:

I have been on Oasis 4 times and Allure 4 times and just got off the Harmony transatlantic.

People ask all the time, "which is your favorite ship?" and I always answer, "I'm a mother; I love all of my children equally."

But I would not hesitate to pick the Harmony over the Oasis or the Allure.

I think that the doughnuts are crappy.

I thought that Harmony's Solarium was wonderful.

I thought that Samba was poorly executed and overpriced for the quality.

I think that any problems with MTD will be worked out.

I didn't do the slides, but everyone I know who did LOVED them. (and made fun of me; but I finally tried the zip line! :D)

If you want the Harmony, do the Harmony. You won't be sorry.

:)

It all depends - we really disliked Harmony - we felt it is not build well and made cheap - the most obvious problems are with dining and the noise all around the ship because the cabins are not insulated the way they are on other ships.

Read the reviews also the "good" ones will point out the same things - you will find that Harmony has many hardware and staffing problems.

I was happy to post my thanks for the OP's post and didn't want to "contradict" him, but YOUR post makes me say this:

I have been on Oasis 4 times and Allure 4 times and just got off the Harmony transatlantic.

People ask all the time, "which is your favorite ship?" and I always answer, "I'm a mother; I love all of my children equally."

But I would not hesitate to pick the Harmony over the Oasis or the Allure.

I think that the doughnuts are crappy.

I thought that Harmony's Solarium was wonderful.

I thought that Samba was poorly executed and overpriced for the quality.

I think that any problems with MTD will be worked out.

I didn't do the slides, but everyone I know who did LOVED them. (and made fun of me; but I finally tried the zip line! :D)

If you want the Harmony, do the Harmony. You won't be sorry.

:)

Great post -

I am looking forward to experiencing the updates they have made with Harmony (good and bad). We book Oasis class for the great shows, added restaurant options, open spaces.......not for the donuts and shopping.

I try not to book new ships (and after drydock) - it can take time to get things worked out.

We hated the MTD on Allure (long wait time = missed shows), and will pass on MTD on all Oasis class in the future.

Thanks

For some reasons I don't like to repeat a ship unless I don't have any other option. Having that said I can't wait for 2017 to sail onboard the Harmony, I'm just giving her a few months until Ken Rush is no longer the CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go now, he isn't the CD. It's Abe.

Harmony doesn't have those carved horses [emoji206] as you go into the Broadwalk either.

I also think Allure is far better than Harmony; that eyesore of a slide ruins that wonderful aft view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The are pros and cons of both.

I would go on either tomorrow

The Boardwalk is really disappointing on Harmony compared to Allure. It feels much more cheaply finished e.g. as you say the horses.

Plus the Ultimate Abyss just ruins the look.

Pros on harmony are Wonderland, Bionic Bar & the waterslides(not the Abyss)

...;) Just do the switch...don't tell him and life will be good. A day cruising is better that a day anywhere else - regardless of the ship!