Manhattan Cruise Terminal Questions

hjm17

I am cruising for the first time this December out of New York City and I have some questions about what security is like as well as boarding. I have read some posts on here and I have an idea, but some of them aren't exactly recent. I just want to have an idea of what to expect!

1. Are there metal detectors or body scanners?

2. Is 11am a good time to arrive for a 3pm departure?

3. Are they strict about arrival times?

4. How long does security usually takes?

5. Are there really drug dogs walking around?!

6. Do bags get scanned just like at an airport?

7. What happens after you go through security?

8. What is the boarding process?

Thank you!

I am cruising for the first time this December out of New York City and I have some questions about what security is like as well as boarding. I have read some posts on here and I have an idea, but some of them aren't exactly recent. I just want to have an idea of what to expect!

Step one, take a look at the NYC Cruise Port Manhattan Page

1. Are there metal detectors or body scanners?

Metal detectors

2. Is 11am a good time to arrive for a 3pm departure?

I usually plan to arrive at the terminal about noon - that allows some spare time for traffic delays.

3. Are they strict about arrival times?

Not overly strict, but we come prepared to wait.

4. How long does security usually takes?

Not long at all.

5. Are there really drug dogs walking around?!

Have never noticed any K9 units

6. Do bags get scanned just like at an airport?

Your carry on luggage must fit in a scanner similar to the ones used at an airport or court house. Checked luggage has its own clearance procedure. Some cruisers have reported needing to go the ship's "naughty room" to open their luggage.

7. What happens after you go through security?

The rest of the check in process [last minute paperwork, validation of passport, photo for the on board ID card]. Then waiting for the boarding time or announcement.

8. What is the boarding process?

Depends on the ship/line. For some lines, cabins are not available when boarding starts - passengers need to keep all their carryons and visit pubic spaces on the ship. Other ships will have the staterooms available, and most of the time your checked luggage will be waiting for you.

Thank you!

5. Are there really drug dogs walking around?

Yes, although mostly when you return. There are also explosive-sniffing dogs. Why would this bother you? What exactly are you trying to hide? I'm told by my ADA friends that spending time in custody waiting to be arraigned is most unpleasant, though a light pleasantry compared to being held at Riker's Island awaiting trial. A word to the wise.

Edited by Langoustine

You may not see the loading dock, but there is at least one dog sniffing luggage and food pallets before they are loaded into the ship. I watched one of the dogs in Fort Lauderdale. Hand luggage and people go through a scanner like at the airport each time your enter the ship.

Must admit it is curious why anyone would care about drug sniffing dogs....unless they have something to hide. Personally, we feel safer when we see those dogs at a port...since we do not want to share our ship with druggies whose behavior can be quite unpredictable. So we would advise the OP to leave your illegal drugs at home and keep in mind that if you try smuggling alcohol (in your luggage) onto the ship it may well be spotted on X-ray (they do xray all luggage) and seized.

Hank

the dogs are looking for bottled water trying to be smuggled on board :)

word of warning i learned from my local courthouse. dont put breathsavers in your pocket. there's metal in the pack that sets off the detectors. i shove them in my gfs purse so they can be xrayed