suggested books to take on a cruise

Nanny8

I like most of the "Chicken Soup for the _______ Soul" series. Unlike reading a novel, they're short stories, so it's easy to read a couple of stories, put the book down, and come back to it at a later time. There are two that are my favorites. Chicken Soup for the Beach Lover's Soul, and Chicken Soup for the Ocean Lover's Soul. Both are good for taking on a cruise.

I second the idea of taking along short stories/anthologies. There's more "built-in" breaks, so I can put the book down, take a look around, and appreciate where I am on vacation. And if I don't read for two days while I get busy with other cruise activities, I won't have to spend time remembering who the characters are or where the plot left off when I get back into it!

As for specifics, I just finished reading a nice little trilogy -- The Glassblowers series. Set around 1900-1920 or so, it takes place in a little German town (the author is German, and the series was translated to English). Everyone in the town works with glass. Men "sit at the lamp" blowing glass, while women paint, package, and sell the materials. The main characters' family is prosperous and they specialize in glass works for the medical profession, and everything's good -- until Dad dies (this happens in chapter 1, so I'm not giving away much). Women do not blow glass, so the family now has no income. Each of the three daughters must decide how they're going to deal with this crisis, and although they stick together, each sister chooses a different path. Part of the series is predictable romance (though not graphically sexual), but other parts are a surprise. It's definitely in the quick-and-easy-read category and would be a nice cruise read. The language is lovely and the characters are well-rounded and likeable.

Thanks for this summary, I'll look it up. :) I always enjoy finding new suggestions

Another suggestion, a series I enjoyed tremendously -- and I'm dying for the third book to come out!

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

Book 1: The Name of the Wind

Book 2: Wise Man's Fear

It's high fantasy and takes place in an unnamed world, yet a world much like our own. The main character is born into a group of traveling players, and he experiences a loving childhood among family and friends ... then that all ends, and he discovers that he has -- to make it quick and easy -- magical powers. Against all odds he begins college to hone his talents, but he is constantly troubled by financial difficulties, a spoiled rich boy who torments him, and a girl whom he loves but can't understand.

The main character is wonderful, yet the reader isn't completely sure about his honesty.

It's not difficult reading at all -- it could be compared to Lord of the Rings.

Saw somewhere about books by Capt.Mateboer. The Captains Quest and The Captains Log. Have downloaded for coming cruise next week. Funny stories from Captain about ship life and people. Looks interesting and funny especially being on cruise ship.

Thanks for this. One of those books looks a good Christmas pressie for hubby

Another suggestion, a series I enjoyed tremendously -- and I'm dying for the third book to come out!

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

Book 1: The Name of the Wind

Book 2: Wise Man's Fear

It's high fantasy and takes place in an unnamed world, yet a world much like our own. The main character is born into a group of traveling players, and he experiences a loving childhood among family and friends ... then that all ends, and he discovers that he has -- to make it quick and easy -- magical powers. Against all odds he begins college to hone his talents, but he is constantly troubled by financial difficulties, a spoiled rich boy who torments him, and a girl whom he loves but can't understand.

The main character is wonderful, yet the reader isn't completely sure about his honesty.

It's not difficult reading at all -- it could be compared to Lord of the Rings.

I could second most of this, this is a fantastic start to a trilogy... but

1) it's nothing like LOTR imho and it's far far better than LOTR! The fantasy is 'lighter' and at times it feels like it could be our world, until certain events occur!

2) We've been waiting for the final instalment of the trilogy for years now, and Patrick Rothfuss seems in no hurry to finish book 3 :( he brought out a novella about one of the characters instead... Book 2 doesn't end on a cliffhanger so it's not terrible, just frustrating to not know how the future 'pans out'.

I would recommend the audible version, as the narrator does a 10* performance. He creates so many different voices, it's like listening to a performance with a full cast, rather than a narration of the book by a single person.

Really there's no rules on this. What you enjoy reading at home will probably do just fine.

However I often select books set in the places I'm visiting. If you're on a Caribbean cruise, you could do worse than read Ernest Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea, To Have and Have Not, or Islands in the Stream.

Going to Spain? You could read For Whom the Bell Tolls or Death in the Afternoon (about bull-fighting).

Going to Spain and/or Paris - The Sun also Rises

Doing a European cruise - consider Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad

Going to Florence? - try Forster's A Room with a View

Cruising in south East Asia? W.S. Maugham short stories give a glimpse of life in ccolonial Malaysia and various local islands.

I keep about 160 old favourites on my Kindle - these are books that I can reread happily anytime. Plus I have around 60 Agatha Christie books also permanently on my Kindle. I can't reread those quite as often though.

Before a cruise I stock up my Kindle with new books, usually crime, thriller and romance - whatever takes my fancy at the time.

I'm also a very fast reader and the Kindle has been a godsend for me for travel. I always pack a spare Kindle as well, loaded with both my books and DH's books, just in case one of our Kindles dies.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Going to Spain? You could read For Whom the Bell Tolls or Death in the Afternoon (about bull-fighting).

This triggered very fond memories of reading For Whom the Bell Tolls while our family vacationed in Franco's Spain.

When authors get the setting right, being there while reading makes the book and the visit so much better.

This triggered very fond memories of reading For Whom the Bell Tolls while our family vacationed in Franco's Spain.

When authors get the setting right, being there while reading makes the book and the visit so much better.

To quote an old Three Dog Night Song, I've Never Been to Spain but I kind of liked the music. (Actually...really like the music.) That changes in May when we fly to Barcelona for a Princess Mediterranean cruise.

I can't help but wonder if you were putting yourself at risk taking For Whom the Bell Tolls into Franco's Spain, or was it a more tolerant place than I imagine?

That's a good idea (packing an extra kindle). I have the app on my phone so if pushed I can read books on my phone but the screen is so small.

I also like the idea about reading some short stories for those in between times.

I thought of trying kindle unlimited but when perusing through the list of books they offer, I found a bunch of free books that I would be interested in and downloaded them :)

Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm also a very fast reader and the Kindle has been a godsend for me for travel. I always pack a spare Kindle as well, loaded with both my books and DH's books, just in case one of our Kindles dies.

I don't think it's likely for your Kindle to die during a cruise. I read a Kindle "to death", and it did not go quickly; rather, it fizzled out slowly. I had significant warning of the impending death: The battery stopped holding a charge -- to the point that I needed to recharge it nightly.

Since this is unlikely to happen, I think it's safe enough to figure that -- IF the worst happens -- you can always just pick up a few paperbacks.

I don't think it's likely for your Kindle to die during a cruise. I read a Kindle "to death", and it did not go quickly; rather, it fizzled out slowly. I had significant warning of the impending death: The battery stopped holding a charge -- to the point that I needed to recharge it nightly.

Since this is unlikely to happen, I think it's safe enough to figure that -- IF the worst happens -- you can always just pick up a few paperbacks.

I've destroyed more than one Kindle since I got my first one in 2010. The Kindle Keyboards, in particular, were very prone to problems with the page turn buttons. I found they lasted around 12-18 months at the rate I read. I'm a speed reader, and I also read on a fairly large font size, so I turn pages very quickly. I estimate that one year of me reading a Kindle is probably equal to 3-4 years for the average person. Amazon replaced a couple that were still under warranty. I also had one die completely. It just locked up solid and nothing could revive it.

I now have a Kindle Voyage, which I've had for just over a year. So far, so good.

Plus there is always the risk of an accident happening, or having it stolen. DH would not like to be cruising with me if I didn't have a working Kindle.

To quote an old Three Dog Night Song, I've Never Been to Spain but I kind of liked the music. (Actually...really like the music.) That changes in May when we fly to Barcelona for a Princess Mediterranean cruise.

I can't help but wonder if you were putting yourself at risk taking For Whom the Bell Tolls into Franco's Spain, or was it a more tolerant place than I imagine?

As a young north american, I never gave it a thought. Although my parents cautioned us not to discuss politics. In hindsight, I suspect tourist dollars were important enough to the local economy that such things were tolerated.

Enjoy your cruise and time in Spain.

• 3 weeks later...
I've destroyed more than one Kindle since I got my first one in 2010. The Kindle Keyboards, in particular, were very prone to problems with the page turn buttons. I found they lasted around 12-18 months at the rate I read. I'm a speed reader, and I also read on a fairly large font size, so I turn pages very quickly. I estimate that one year of me reading a Kindle is probably equal to 3-4 years for the average person. Amazon replaced a couple that were still under warranty. I also had one die completely. It just locked up solid and nothing could revive it.

I now have a Kindle Voyage, which I've had for just over a year. So far, so good.

Plus there is always the risk of an accident happening, or having it stolen. DH would not like to be cruising with me if I didn't have a working Kindle.

You must be rougher on yours than I am on mine. Since I'm a literature teacher, I use mine quite a bit at work PLUS at home for reading, and I've not had the same experience.

I still think the possibility of a perfectly good Kindle "up and dying" during a cruise is pretty remote.

One of my favorite authors is Marian Keyes. Her Walsh sister novels are very funny. "Watermelon" is probably my favorite of these. She is a very easy read. I also really adored the Emily Giffin "Something Borrowed" series as well as Sophie Kinsella's "Confessions of a Shopaholic". I always recommend these when I know someone wants something lighter than a Jodi Picoult novel. She is my go to for deep topics. And I also can always revert back to my teens and pick up a V.C. Andrews series, of which "Ruby" was my favorite.

Edited by Mickfarland4

We start off with the Michener appropriate to the trip. So in July we read Alaska and in October Hawaii.

i think that is a great idea. Alaska is in my FAR future, but I have his "Alaska" on my pre-cruise wish list to prep for that trip.

Has anyone tried Kindle Unlimited? I have a kindle but also go to the library a lot since I like to read new releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have Kindle Unlimited. It does not have any new releases. Lots of hit and miss for me for readable books.

Most libraries have e-books you can borrow as well as the physical books.

We start off with the Michener appropriate to the trip. So in July we read Alaska and in October Hawaii.

Shame we can't cruise to Colorado... :rolleyes: His "Centennial" is one of my all time favourites... :cool: