New Cabin Key Embarkation process

joellebridgers

Never understood why they have to leave to go get pre-printed(are they pre-printed?) cards. Why not a badge printer at each station and print on demand (I admit, I don't know how long this would take but I'd imagine it's in the handful of seconds). But you are right, as it was, this does have the potential to save time.

Remembering the wait for my one Sams Club card to print, I think that could add up to a lot of extra time.

Never understood why they have to leave to go get pre-printed(are they pre-printed?) cards. Why not a badge printer at each station and print on demand (I admit, I don't know how long this would take but I'd imagine it's in the handful of seconds). But you are right, as it was, this does have the potential to save time.

I'm of the mindset that said yeah, save 1 minute getting the card, but 30 extra minutes if you have to go replace missing ones right from the start.

the cards are already programed with your foilo account number and access to your cabin. If the cards are printed on demand, then how do you configure the card with a foilo account and room key access? Guest services/ship security still needs to program the card for the card to work and that could take some time.

the cards are already programed with your foilo account number and access to your cabin. If the cards are printed on demand, then how do you configure the card with a foilo account and room key access? Guest services/ship security still needs to program the card for the card to work and that could take some time.

As far as I know it wouldn't be any different than when you go to GS and request another card such as if yours stops working or you lose it. They reprint it right then and there. Same as the airport check in. They print your card and it's no different that the one you would get at the port.

But I suppose if they thought it was a good idea, then they would have done it that way from the beginning. There has to be a reason why they do it ahead of time.

Edited by firemanbobswife

As far as I know it wouldn't be any different than when you go to GS and request another card such as if yours stops working or you lose it. They reprint it right then and there. Same as the airport check in. They print your card and it's no different that the one you would get at the port.

But I suppose if they thought it was a good idea, then they would have done it that way from the beginning. There has to be a reason why they do it ahead of time.

I don't see it as being any different than getting an extra room key at a hotel, where they just slap in a card and print it. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 seconds to print. I think the problem is in the programming and the need for LOTS of printers, which is an expense in itself.

I don't see it as being any different than getting an extra room key at a hotel, where they just slap in a card and print it. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 seconds to print. I think the problem is in the programming and the need for LOTS of printers, which is an expense in itself.

I agree about the printers. As far as the programming, there's nothing different that they do to them. As soon as they are printed, they are programmed.

So, if someone messes with my key envelope (intentionally or not), then I'm the one that has to go to GS and wait for things to get resolved? What a load of crap that is!

You can have some innovative, instigator work down a complete hallway tearing open key envelopes for the fun of it. That would cause a hefty line at GS for those guests. :D

Edited by The4Cruisers

So, if someone messes with my key envelope (intentionally or not), then I'm the one that has to go to GS and wait for things to get resolved? What a load of crap that is!

You can have some innovative, instigator work down a complete hallway tearing open key envelopes for the fun of it. That would cause a hefty line at GS for those guests. :D

Must be the same instigators moving everyone's luggage to a different cabin door.;)

Some more info , I was just told the ALL the keys will be in the mailbox before you board, They are actually printed the day before , So as soon as you board you should be able to go get them

Yes they are printed the day before, and we already knew that all keys will be in an envelope outside the cabin even for D/P/FTTF. However, you will not be able to go right to your cabin upon boarding to get them unless you are D/P/FTTF. You need to use your Boarding Pass to make purchases if you are not one of those that are allowed to go to your cabin to get them. It's no different than before as you are not allowed in the hallways unless you are D/P/FTTF. Suites have early embarkation, however, early cabin access is not a perk. So you will be able to board early, but you cannot go to your cabin upon arrival.

It has also been reported from those that have actually experienced it that they are putting the envelopes in the mailboxes at the appropriate times. So D/P/FFTF will have access to go through the doors and their keys will be waiting. While everyone else's will be available at the designated time. This system was implemented partially to keep people out of the hallways and out of the stewards way while cabins are being turned over.

Some more info , I was just told the ALL the keys will be in the mailbox before you board, They are actually printed the day before , So as soon as you board you should be able to go get them

I saw where John Raabe said that too. Hopefully that is the case. I'm uneasy about my credit card being linked to the card and them being in the hallways.

Edited by apatchetear

He answered questions on John Healds page. Maybe an assistant or something.

I don't think so. Never heard of him. He also said the cards are printed on the ship which is clearly not true. The cards will be placed in the mailboxes upon the cabins being completed as stated before.

Diamond/Platinum, and FTTF will have theirs ready upon boarding. The rest including suites will be there when the doors are opened at approx 1:30PM or whenever all the cabins are ready for their occupants. Priority boarding does not equal cabins ready at embarkation for suites. If one wants that perk and they don't have the status, then you need FTTF.

I don't think so. Never heard of him. He also said the cards are printed on the ship which is clearly not true. The cards will be placed in the mailboxes upon the cabins being completed as stated before.

Diamond/Platinum, and FTTF will have theirs ready upon boarding. The rest including suites will be there when the doors are opened at approx 1:30PM or whenever all the cabins are ready for their occupants. Priority boarding does not equal cabins ready at embarkation for suites. If one wants that perk and they don't have the status, then you need FTTF.

He answers a lot of questions. I believe he replied to a request we made one time about a slot pull we did. Maybe is is no one. Idk

68da0d1308e23979b4f9fcc7f73f7f76.jpg

f1b6048d0304d98d108c27ff4ebfcf52.jpg

206c68a87ba08f85ba8cd842545e378a.jpg

He answers a lot of questions. I believe he replied to a request we made one time about a slot pull we did. Maybe is is no one. Idk

68da0d1308e23979b4f9fcc7f73f7f76.jpg

f1b6048d0304d98d108c27ff4ebfcf52.jpg

206c68a87ba08f85ba8cd842545e378a.jpg

Yeah I think he's just some random guy that likes to answer questions. Anyone can comment on there. That stuff is pretty common knowledge. Well except for the cards being printed on the ship the night before. That is clearly wrong. And they're not all in the mailboxes before boarding.

Actually what he says is true!

The Sail & Sign cards are in fact printed on board the ship. They are (were) delivered to the terminal as soon as the ship docks in the morning to be distributed during check-in. The agents at the terminals have a list of Priority and FTF guests that they use to sort the envelopes with keys, and send to the Priority/Captain's Lounge or FTF Check-in line.

The only keys that are printed in the terminal are those that either have a printed error, or can not be found in the batch.

Actually what he says is true!

The Sail & Sign cards are in fact printed on board the ship. They are (were) delivered to the terminal as soon as the ship docks in the morning to be distributed during check-in. The agents at the terminals have a list of Priority and FTF guests that they use to sort the envelopes with keys, and send to the Priority/Captain's Lounge or FTF Check-in line.

The only keys that are printed in the terminal are those that either have a printed error, or can not be found in the batch.

That makes no sense to me. Why would they print them onboard when the facilities are there at the port to do so and then have to bring them ashore?

That makes no sense to me. Why would they print them onboard when the facilities are there at the port to do so and then have to bring them ashore?

The ship prints them the night before they dock and have them set up in bins to be delivered to the terminal the morning they dock. An agent from the terminal will go on the ship and get them as soon as the ship is connected to the gangway.

To my understanding, it is done because it takes a while to print 3000+ keys, and the terminals are usually only equipped with about 5 key printers (from what I have seen). Can you imagine if they had to print everyones keys on the spot, it would definitely slow down the process!

There is definitely some logic to the madness.

The ship prints them the night before they dock and have them set up in bins to be delivered to the terminal the morning they dock. An agent from the terminal will go on the ship and get them as soon as the ship is connected to the gangway.

To my understanding, it is done because it takes a while to print 3000+ keys, and the terminals are usually only equipped with about 5 key printers (from what I have seen). Can you imagine if they had to print everyones keys on the spot, it would definitely slow down the process!

There is definitely some logic to the madness.

And that is why I would think that they would print them on land. It seems that they would have more equipment set up to do that there. With limited space onboard and shoddy satellite connections at times, I just have a hard time believing they wouldn't leave that to the shoreside operations. How many printers could they possibly have on a ship in addition to the few at Guest Services that could mass produce them?

I'm tired of hearing," But, they used to....."

I assume some people don't realize how the crews, in all departments, are extended (cut back) more than ever.

Staggered check in, early cabin access, and (future) retrieval of S&S cards at cabins are all part to give the dwindling crews, at check-in and after, to "keep up" with the crowds.

I'm not saying I like all this, but, I know the reality of the situation.

Complaining won't change this.

We're all coming along to have a good time, eh?

Let's do that!

Edited by jayscore

Probably because no one is at the port when ships are not there ?

Also the guy who answers questions for John is a assistant or something

Someone asked about steak house reservations and they didnt recive there confirmation , This guy answered " per john yes your reservation is at this time and date "

Probably because no one is at the port when ships are not there ?

Also the guy who answers questions for John is a assistant or something

Someone asked about steak house reservations and they didnt recive there confirmation , This guy answered " per john yes your reservation is at this time and date "

True but especially in the larger ports such as Miami, people are there pretty much all weekend and a day or 2 during the week. It makes no sense to me to equip dozens of ships with what would have to be at least a dozen dedicated S&S printers (I would think) each when they could just do the same thing at each port thus reducing costs. But whatever. If that's the way they really do it, then OK. I am curious to know from someone who actually works at the port.

As far as that guy, I still have never heard of him or heard John mention his name. Usually they will post under his account and say "This is Jacinta" or whoever is posting for him. But if y'all believe him that's fine too.

Guess it really doesn't matter how or when they are printed in the grand scheme of things, as it still remains that with this new way your cabin keys will be in their sealed envelopes when your cabin is ready for you and no sooner from the experiences that have been posted. So folks, just remember that if your aren't D/P/FTTF, you need to use your boarding pass to charge things until the doors to the cabins are opened.