Taking wine on board

porrah

I believe you can take two bottles per cabin ( 2 people). My question is can you take cartons? I don't mean big 3 litre boxes, you can get a liter carton - looks sort of like a milk carton but with a screw top. We could only take one or we would exceed the allowance, but it would be so much more convenient for travelling. Does anyone know?

Thank you.

You can only take 750 ml bottles of wine onboard. One bottle per adult would be corkage free for in cabin consumption. You can take more bottles and pay $18 corkage on each of them. All wine must be carried on.

Edited by Boytjie

Thank you. I recognize both your names from the boards. So I'm sure you are right. Bit if a nuisance, we go straight from Fll to the ship, so we'll have to buy the wine in Toronto, put it in our checked luggage for flying, then somehow somewhere get it out and into our hand luggage. Any chance they will allow it in checked luggage? Ok, just thought I'd ask........

we go straight from Fll to the ship, so we'll have to buy the wine in Toronto, put it in our checked luggage for flying, then somehow somewhere get it out and into our hand luggage.
How about using a small extra bag for the wine that could be checked for the airplane but hand-carried onto the ship?

You could buy your wine at duty free shop in Pearson Airport. More expensive than a U.S. store, but less expensive than the ship. We've done this before.

I would not pack bottles of wine in checked luggage. You may arrive on your cruise with win soaked clothes!

You could buy your wine at duty free shop in Pearson Airport. More expensive than a U.S. store, but less expensive than the ship. We've done this before.

I would not pack bottles of wine in checked luggage. You may arrive on your cruise with win soaked clothes!

We sometimes buy our wine at Duty Free when leaving through Ottawa. Once you figure in the exchange rate, this vs buying in the US isn't too bad. And the bonus of not having to pack it and worry about breakage in your suitcase.

Edited by OVgirl

We have had the cab to the ship stop at Total Wine or even a drug store to pick up wine in Fort Lauderdale.

We have done the same thing. The one time we checked wine in our luggage we used a food saver machine to hermetically seal the wine so if it did break we would still have clothes,

• 5 weeks later...

I have always just brought lots of wine (750ml) on board and paid corkage at dinner. Haven't cruised since the newer policy of paying corkage on boarding but I'm OK with that too. I pay corkage at restaurants all the time and always come out ahead. Pricing and availability of wines on board has always been awful.

Not sure why someone would tote wine from Canada to FLL Florida when there is a TOTAL WINE store near the port that you can get wine cheaper than most any other venue. They have excellent pricing and you can put as much as you want in a case box and easily take it to the ship. Just have your taxi driver stop and wait. If you've already made transport arrangements to the ship, I'd grab a taxi when I got to the ship and head over to Total. It's not far.

I have always just brought lots of wine (750ml) on board and paid corkage at dinner. Haven't cruised since the newer policy of paying corkage on boarding but I'm OK with that too. I pay corkage at restaurants all the time and always come out ahead. Pricing and availability of wines on board has always been awful.

Not sure why someone would tote wine from Canada to FLL Florida when there is a TOTAL WINE store near the port that you can get wine cheaper than most any other venue. They have excellent pricing and you can put as much as you want in a case box and easily take it to the ship. Just have your taxi driver stop and wait. If you've already made transport arrangements to the ship' date=' I'd grab a taxi when I got to the ship and head over to Total. It's not far.[/quote']

We can't agree more. We much prefer to bring our own wine on aboard. We drive to the port and we pre-order a selection of very good wine from Total Win and pick it up on our way to the port.

We really don't plan on saving money but we do intend to have some very good wine which simply isn't available on board.

You can buy bubble wrap sealed wine bags that will both keep the bottles from breaking but also keep the wine from getting out if a bottle were to break.

we have used these many times to take wine home from wine country and to cruises without ever a bottle breaking.

Most wine stores have them

Thank you. I recognize both your names from the boards. So I'm sure you are right. Bit if a nuisance, we go straight from Fll to the ship, so we'll have to buy the wine in Toronto, put it in our checked luggage for flying, then somehow somewhere get it out and into our hand luggage. Any chance they will allow it in checked luggage? Ok, just thought I'd ask........

The advice to stop at Total Wine is very good :). You can even look at what they have on line and order so all you have to do is stop and pick it up.

They have a marvellous selection and good prices IMO - even with the exchange rate ;)

Thank you so much for the Total Wine info! I was planning on bringing Napa wine cross country but I looked at their website and their prices are great but most importantly they have everything in stock that I was planning to bring from home, in Napa. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Don't forget you can pre-order and it will be ready for you to pick up.

I hope you do think about going to Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. The taxis in town are used to making this stop for cruisers. They make the Total Wine run many times each day.

You have two choices, you can order the wine in advance via the Total Wine website and have the cab just wait for you there while you pick it up.

Or you can be dropped there, do your shopping, and have a cab come within minutes to take you on your way.

If you have a smart phone, they will text you when they will be arriving.

The phone number for the cab is easy to remember, it is: (954) 777-7777

Buying extra wine and paying the corkage fee ($18) onboard the ship allows you to select the wines you like to drink.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise.

Buying extra wine and paying the corkage fee ($18) onboard the ship allows you to select the wines you like to drink.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise.

Actually, buying extra wine and paying corkage allows you to have decent wines to drink other than the overpriced swill served by the cruise line.

Our next cruise is out of Tampa. We'll be spending the night in Ocala before driving to the port on embarkation day. We'll stop by the new Total Wine in Gainesville, Florida to pick up the wine we ordered on the web.

Edited by RocketMan275

• 3 months later...

Question, We are taking a 1 day cruise on HAL from Seattle to Vancouver, then a 6 day cruise on Princess from Vancouver to LA. If we take 3+ bottles onboard HAL, will they charge us corkage for the over allotment of 2 or simply keep them until the end of the trip (the next morning? ) We help at the local wineries and get paid in wine, so have lots in our cellar. This is our first time on a 1 day cruise!

Question, We are taking a 1 day cruise on HAL from Seattle to Vancouver, then a 6 day cruise on Princess from Vancouver to LA. If we take 3+ bottles onboard HAL, will they charge us corkage for the over allotment of 2 or simply keep them until the end of the trip (the next morning? ) We help at the local wineries and get paid in wine, so have lots in our cellar. This is our first time on a 1 day cruise!

I don't think you would be charged the corkage fee for that 1 bottle over the allotted amount but someone who may have done a 1 day cruise before may know for sure.

I wanted to tell you that you have my "dream" retirement job right now! lol.

Me and my DH are always talking about moving to the west coast to spend our winters and working part time at a vineyard for wine. lol

I don't think you would be charged the corkage fee for that 1 bottle over the allotted amount but someone who may have done a 1 day cruise before may know for sure.

I wanted to tell you that you have my "dream" retirement job right now! lol.

Me and my DH are always talking about moving to the west coast to spend our winters and working part time at a vineyard for wine. lol

I had to ask HAL about shareholder credit, so asked also about the wine. He said yes, they will hold it until the end of our cruise? We won't drink more than 1 bottle that night, so will just have any others kept for us. Yes, it's a fun "job" but can be physically challenging when helping bottle and crush. We've learned to appreciate the work that small wineries put into their product.