Is Blu Still Any Good ?? Better than MDR?

curtdesilets

We were on a Pacific Coast sailing in Sept. - Infinity, Aqua class.

Received superlative service from the sommelier and seating hostess in Blu.

Was the hostess the dark haired woman from the Ukraine? I forget her name. She was excellent and a real sweetheart! All the waitstaff in Infinity Blu were the best ever!

Glad to read so many good things about Blu since I'll be in an Aqua Class.:)

I may have to try the MDR since I always thought Celebrity's food was better than any other line we've cruised on. It's been a number of years so things may have changed but it's probably still better than the mass market lines.

Edited by iheartbda

First things first... yes, we still think BLU is good!

We got hooked on AQ because of Blu and have our 7th cruise booked in AQ. The reason why we like Blu is not entirely because we think the food is better than in MDR. It is more the much quieter atmosphere and more personal service of BLU. We wouldn't necessarily say it is healthy (as sometimes advertised) and we would not say it is better... it just presented in a nicer way and the overall experience is more relaxed.

That being said, while we still enjoy Blu we would not mind some new menus... after all our cruises we know them of by heart. Surely a luxury problem ;)

Here's a better overview...

[YOUTUBE]IZ5eFfLRz0k[/YOUTUBE]

We returned a few weeks ago after 14 days on the Millennium from Yokohama-Hong Kong.

We had very good experiences dining in Blu on the Solstice-class ships. This was our first experience with “open sitting” in Blu. Our previous experiences had been fixed, assigned seating. With fixed sittings, we were always assured of our table, with the same waiter, at the same time every evening, without waiting. With the open-sitting concept, the wait time for a table (anytime between 8-8:30pm) was at least 15 minutes, and often 30-45 minutes. One evening, after waiting nearly an hour for a table, we bailed and went to the main dining room. With the main evening entertainment scheduled at 7:00pm and 9:00pm, we chose to go to the 7:00pm show, followed by dinner. Apparently, so did many other Aqua Class guests, which created an over-demand for seating between 8-8:45pm. We did try dining one evening at 7:00pm; we were seated almost immediately, but service was so long and protracted, we finally just bailed at 8:55pm without ever receiving our desserts or coffee, in order to attend the 9:00pm evening show.

We also tried breakfast one time only in both Blu and the main dining room. Breakfast took nearly 90 minutes in both venues for a simple one-course order of eggs only, accompanied with cold, hard-as-brick toast.

The majority of the staff and crew tried to provide their best service. However, we felt that much of the staff were recent hires, not experienced in hospitality service and likely not provided sufficient training or supervision to provide world class service. We felt service levels were inconsistent, mediocre and probably under-staffed. Senior staff were bussing tables, cleaning floors and doing things that should have been delegated to others, rather than supervising and training their staff to excel at their jobs.

Would we sail Millennium-class vessels again? Probably not. Would we consider Celebrity again? Possibly, but with a very different level of expectation, and not likely in an Aqua Class cabin again unless the seating capacity in Blu is adjusted to accommodate true “open seating”.

Ryndam, you are confusing me... there has NEVER been fixed, assigned seating in BLU. The whole concept has always been about flexible dining from the start...

But anyway, if you prefer to have the same waiter in Blu - which I understand because we also had outstanding waiters and did not want to change - all you have to do is ask. 9 out of 10 times they'll give you a table with your waiter. You just might have to wait a few minutes...

Ryndam, you are confusing me... there has NEVER been fixed, assigned seating in BLU. The whole concept has always been about flexible dining from the start...

But anyway, if you prefer to have the same waiter in Blu - which I understand because we also had outstanding waiters and did not want to change - all you have to do is ask. 9 out of 10 times they'll give you a table with your waiter. You just might have to wait a few minutes...

Miaminice, we sailed Solstice twice during its inaugural season in 2008-2009. Both times there were fixed seatings in BLU; early dining at 6:00pm and late dining at 8:30pm.

It may not be typical of other sailings, but on this particular sailing, 9 out of 10 times the wait for a table was a minimum of 15 minutes, and unfortunately, it was generally 30-45 minutes or longer. Sadly, our choice was not to request a particular waiter, but rather to request any available table at all.

I am sorry you had to make this experience. We can of course just tell of our own experiences.

We did 5 cruises in AQ on both classes of ships. Except for one they were all between 10 and 14 nights. All were sold out on full ships. I just asked my wife and after thinking a while she recalled the same number as I did... on all of our cruises we had to wait on a total of four nights, 15 minutes max at each time. Without doing the math I'd say we walked straight in on 95 % of the times - and we tend to go at 7 pm which seems to be a popular time. We can't just have been lucky all the time, can we?

Anyway, I hope you have better luck next time should you try again.

Edited by Miaminice

Miaminice, we sailed Solstice twice during its inaugural season in 2008-2009. Both times there were fixed seatings in BLU; early dining at 6:00pm and late dining at 8:30pm.

We also sailed on Solstice during its inaugural season.

On our cruise, according to our reservation, we were assigned late dining for the first evening although all information had suggested seating was "open".

A quick meeting with the Maitre D' assured us that that was an organisational "technicality" and we were free to arrive at any time.

I think at the time they were playing with the concept of open dining and perhaps were afraid everyone might show up at the same time. Or possibly, more likely, at that time their computer programme necessitated such an entry.

Regardless, in practice it was open seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was the hostess the dark haired woman from the Ukraine? I forget her name. She was excellent and a real sweetheart! All the waitstaff in Infinity Blu were the best ever!

Guess our week was just "off". But am encouraged that it will be better next time,

I do not think the quality of food in Blu is as good as it used to be, however we love the room size and the ambiance. After a string of aqua cruises, last time we just went with a regular balcony because it was so much cheaper. We thought the food in the main dining room was horrendous.

If the price difference is huge, I'd think twice about Aqua, otherwise we will be going back to Blu.

We have had nothing but great experiences in Blu, both on S and M class sailings..we dined there as a couple, and in groups of six and eight...never waited longer than 15 minutes for a table..we would simply go to the Ensemble Lounge, have a drink and wait..

The food and service have never disappointed..we would never sail without AQ. Just our opinion...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We also sailed on Solstice during its inaugural season.

On our cruise, according to our reservation, we were assigned late dining for the first evening although all information had suggested seating was "open". ...

I think at the time they were playing with the concept of open dining and perhaps were afraid everyone might show up at the same time. Or possibly, more likely, at that time their computer programme necessitated such an entry.

Regardless, in practice it was open seating.

They still do it that way... There´s an envelope in the room asking you to come at time X on the first evening.

However, they just do it to avoid chaos on the first evening and it has no meaning for the remaining days of the cruise. If you do not show up on the requested time there are no problems either.

You are correct: BLU is open seating, dine whenever you want.

The hostess in Blu on our Infinity Pacific coast sailing was from the Maldives.

We were greeted by name each morning and evening.

There was a short line a few evenings, she would take names so couples could go to the bar and would come to get them when their table was ready.

We have not waited more than 15 minutes for a table on the three Aqua class cruises we've taken.

We ate a couple lunches in the MDR on the last cruise and feel the quality of food there was not as good as it had been on past cruises.

This is true about there being no fixed seating. However, on the one cruise we were in Blu, large groups (in this case it was 8 people) tended to have the same table/seating every night.

We were on the Summit last week in Aqua Class. As usual, our experience with Blu was top-notch. The Hostess knew us by name after the first evening. We were always seated at the same table with the same waiter and assistant who were both terrific. The food was excellent and if we wished to make changes concerning the vegetables, or if we preferred something other than what was on the menu, we were accommodated. We have sailed in Aqua Class three times, on three different ships and always had a superior experience relative to the MDR.

I agree with tonyd285. We have only enjoyed Blu one time, service was exceptional. One evening we spent extra time in the bar and were late getting dressed for dinner. I received a call making sure we were showing up before they gave away our table for six. While we didn't have to make reservations we usually showed up around the same time.

We were Aqua on Infinity this month and were VERY disappointed in Blu. Compared to Blu on Solstice class, we found the atmosphere very cold (not temperature, but the decor) . Service at both breakfast and dinner was very slow. We found the salads and appetizers were good, but the entrees left a lot to be desired. We left the entrees twice and went to Oceanview. I was so disappointed, I sold my RCL stock. That was a BIG mistake as it has since gone up. We are also going to Oceana as food is important to us.

It may not be typical of other sailings, but on this particular sailing, 9 out of 10 times the wait for a table was a minimum of 15 minutes, and unfortunately, it was generally 30-45 minutes or longer. Sadly, our choice was not to request a particular waiter, but rather to request any available table at all.

6 years is a long time. Blu only has open seating at least for the past 4 years. Also, you can always plan your day in the morning and then call and make a reservation for your preferred time. No waiting.

6 years is a long time. Blu only has open seating at least for the past 4 years. Also, you can always plan your day in the morning and then call and make a reservation for your preferred time. No waiting.

Unless there has been a change in the last couple months, you cannot make a reservation for Blu. When you arrive we will be seated, or if there is not a table available you will have to wait. We have never waited more than 15 minutes, but other people have different experiences

We were Aqua on Infinity this month and were VERY disappointed in Blu. Compared to Blu on Solstice class, we found the atmosphere very cold (not temperature, but the decor) . Service at both breakfast and dinner was very slow. We found the salads and appetizers were good, but the entrees left a lot to be desired. We left the entrees twice and went to Oceanview. I was so disappointed, I sold my RCL stock. That was a BIG mistake as it has since gone up. We are also going to Oceana as food is important to us.

We too had a poor review of Infinity in Oct..unfriendly, understaffed , slow service..staff with lang issues and need for basic restaurant training, etc., overcooked game bird. Ate elsewhere 4 of 9 nights.....a first first for us

.but am convinced BLU overall is still excellent on other ships and hope it improves by the time we sail on Infinity again..

Also, you can always plan your day in the morning and then call and make a reservation for your preferred time. No waiting.

We have cruised in Aqua several times in the last couple of years. Reservations were never permitted in Blu. Perhaps if Aqua is undersold on a particular itinerary and Blu isn't busy anyway, maybe Blu would take a reservation?

Actually we prefer Blu on the M class ships to Blu on S class. Decor is similar but the dining room is smaller and more intimate.

• 4 weeks later...

Fresh off of the Reflection with a Blu report..reservations are not permitted nor were they necessary..

A few minutes wait, if at all, each night for a 7 -ish dinner for two.

Service, variety of menu, food quality all were top notch. Breakfast was great, as well.

We did not visit the MDR, as we love the Blu experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Fresh off the Eclipse no issues with Blu, we were a party of 10 and had a reservation booked for 6pm every night same table same waiter. Service was outstanding we had Mansur and his assistant and they were AMAZING.

Fatih the Maitre D was fantastic checked on us everyday to ensure were happy and if there was anything they could do for us. The aimed to please.

Breakfast in BLU after the first time we never went back to the buffet.

BLU all the way