now that F. Castro died will Cuba open up more for cruises?

There are/were SOME cruises to Cuba on Fathom, but 1) Carnival decided to end the cruise line and 2) they weren't traditional cruises, you had to participate in cultural interaction.

I expect the cruise market in Cuba to grow very slowly initially but experience a big boom once it's easier to cruise. From what I've read, Raul Castro isn't particularly gentle either, but relations between the US and Cuba are improving.

I do know Royal is trying pretty hard to get Empress to visit Cuba.

Sent from Tapatalk

Fidel (rip) played no part in the sanction situation between the recent USA administrations and Cuba.

His younger brother has effectively been in control of Cuba for quite some time now.

The passing of Fidel will not remove any blocks to easing of remaining sanctions.

It is questionable whether he was even cognisant of the recent progress made by the Obama administration and his younger brother.

A lot of people who were displaced, stolen from, etc are happy about Fidel, but Raul is still there in power. Any decisions to be made about sanctions are yet to be known. I just love when people jump to conclusions based on their own biases.

There are simply too many restrictions by the US Government to make cruising to Cuba by US citizens and ships that call at US ports a viable option at this point. It is doubtful Fidel's passing will change any of those restrictions.

That aside, each administration has had a different objective with Cuba, and a new administration will be sworn in in a couple of months. Only time will tell what their collective objectives and policies will be. We might see lessened restrictions, we might see the stars quo maintained, and we might also see tightened restrictions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fidel (rip) played no part in the sanction situation between the recent USA administrations and Cuba.

His younger brother has effectively been in control of Cuba for quite some time now.

The passing of Fidel will not remove any blocks to easing of remaining sanctions.

It is questionable whether he was even cognisant of the recent progress made by the Obama administration and his younger brother.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes I hope that not too many tourists will make it to Cuba. The nature is beautiful and mostly unspoiled. I worry that this will not be the same if tourism grows.

Sent from Tapatalk

Totally agree. I have been to Cuba twice, and while there are`areas of the country that does very well from (mainly) luxury tourism, the arrival of 2/3000 passengers on a day trip to Havana is something the present infrastructure just cannot cope with.

Totally agree. I have been to Cuba twice, and while there are`areas of the country that does very well from (mainly) luxury tourism, the arrival of 2/3000 passengers on a day trip to Havana is something the present infrastructure just cannot cope with.

This.

The current Cuba does not have the infrastructure to deal with cruise ship passengers.

Trump is more likely to tighten sanctions between the US and Cuba than loosen them.

I live in South Florida and even though there are celebrations over this horrific dictators death, his brother is the status quo.

This.

The current Cuba does not have the infrastructure to deal with cruise ship passengers.

Trump is more likely to tighten sanctions between the US and Cuba than loosen them.

I live in South Florida and even though there are celebrations over this horrific dictators death, his brother is the status quo.

Read same thing on Trump, I would like to see it but heard food in general was bad, have talked to a bunch of Canadians over the years that have stayed there

Sometimes I hope that not too many tourists will make it to Cuba. The nature is beautiful and mostly unspoiled. I worry that this will not be the same if tourism grows.

Sent from Tapatalk

Do you also hope that the people of Cuba remain in abject poverty the way that they have for over 50 years? Things are terrible for the Cuban people. Open trade, free speech, and free and fair elections may change the landscape, but would also improve the lives of the people there. I am not holding my breath. The Castros have their successors planned out for generations to come. Those in power continue to prosper off foreign tourism money, while the people continue to suffer in misery.

Do you also hope that the people of Cuba remain in abject poverty the way that they have for over 50 years? Things are terrible for the Cuban people. Open trade, free speech, and free and fair elections may change the landscape, but would also improve the lives of the people there. I am not holding my breath. The Castros have their successors planned out for generations to come. Those in power continue to prosper off foreign tourism money, while the people continue to suffer in misery.

No no no. I do not hope that.

The ONE benefit of this Castro regime was that the beauty was unspoiled. While I hope for the freedom of the Cuban people, I just hope it doesn't turn into an island full of Sandals resorts and touristy shops.

Sent from Tapatalk

There are already several cruise lines offering cruises to various ports in Cuba.

The reason none are open to U.S. citizens, or leave from American ports has nothing at all to do with Cuba or the leadership of Cuba.

The reason is the embargo placed by the U.S. government against Cuba.

Tourism, trade, diplomatic relations with Cuba are all normal for the rest of the world.

While I would never say I want to give up the freedoms we enjoy in the US, I will say that the literacy rate is significantly higher in Cuba than in the USA, per the US Dept of State. Something to ponder...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are already several cruise lines offering cruises to various ports in Cuba.

The reason none are open to U.S. citizens, or leave from American ports has nothing at all to do with Cuba or the leadership of Cuba.

The reason is the embargo placed by the U.S. government against Cuba.

Tourism, trade, diplomatic relations with Cuba are all normal for the rest of the world.

OK then. Castro Cuba can deal with the rest of the world without US tourists and US cruise ships. Zero loss to US. Let's keep it this way.

A lot of people who were displaced, stolen from, etc are happy about Fidel, but Raul is still there in power. Any decisions to be made about sanctions are yet to be known. I just love when people jump to conclusions based on their own biases.

I think things in Cuba are going to get worse now that Fidel is dead. When he was alive Raul had the backing of Fidel but that political backing is gone and people are going to want the top job. That is going to make Raul paranoid about plots against him and he will start getting rid of anyone he thinks is a danger to him.

Trump is not keen on the Cuban deal Obama made:

Fox news

"Trump, during a campaign stop in September, said if elected president he would void Obama’s deal unless Cuba met his demands, which included “religious and political freedom for the Cuban people and the freeing of political prisoners.”"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Trump is not keen on the Cuban deal Obama made:

Fox news

"Trump, during a campaign stop in September, said if elected president he would void Obama’s deal unless Cuba met his demands, which included “religious and political freedom for the Cuban people and the freeing of political prisoners.”"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The president-elect seems to be very good at saying things but not necessarily with follow through.:D I guess we shall see.

Sherri:)