AMS earliest departure

mra9955

For August flights out of AMS back to US what is earliest recommended flight time? Looking at a 10:55am departure--late enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We started a cruise in Amsterdam in Sept 2016. The fastest why to get to the airport is from Amsterdam Central Station.

Amsterdam Central Station

• Passenger Terminal Amsterdam 10 minutes’ walk, public transport tram 26 or bus 48

AMS outbound to the States has a 3 hour check in advice. From Central Station to Schiphol is a short train ride, I would suggest a 7AM disembarkation.

You might lose some time when flying Delta at the D1 desk at AMS and plan some extra time when you're flying during the summer months, that's peak season here at AMS. Long lines at check in/security.

While it's doable, I think you'd be pushing it at 10:55 even with a quick disembark. Is there a 12pm or 1pm flight you can choose? Why get all stressed right after a relaxing cruise?

ETA: is staying an extra day an option? AMS is a great t an to visit any time of year.

Edited by Syrreal

Easy - unless the ship is delayed of course. I live in Amsterdam and travel for business weekly. Walk yourself off at 7:30 am (assuming you can drag your luggage). Taxi at 8 am, at the airport at 8:30 am latest. I would not arrive at the airport before 9:25 am myself for a 10:55 am departure to the US; 90 minutes is more than enough and you have a full extra hour and very likely even more as you can walk off as early as 7 am, it doesn't take 30 minutes to get in a cab and it doesn't take 30 minutes to drive to the airport.

While it's doable, I think you'd be pushing it at 10:55 even with a quick disembark. Is there a 12pm or 1pm flight you can choose?

Flights to the USA from major European airports tend to be between 8 AM and 11 AM.

If you are flying a specific airline, the mid-morning flight might be the only one of the day.

Easy - unless the ship is delayed of course.

Which is exactly what happened on one of our cruises out of Amsterdam. We returned late due to the amount of ships all wanting to dock around the same sort of time and we were the last. I believe we were about 3 hours late and many Americans missed their flights. I remember the GS Officer commenting on that's why we never advise morning departures, especially when flying international ;). It's the chance you take; nine times out of 10, everything will be fine and there are no problems, however, there's always that chance ;).

Schipol is a huge airport, even if the lines are moving quickly you need time to cover a lot of ground. I would not do the train, it is about 15-20 minute walk if you are doing it with luggage, the taxi line can be long and slow so if you are trying to make that 10:55am flight plan to walk off and plan ahead and have a driver waiting. We have used http://airporttransfertaxi.com/ in Amsterdam and a few other cities and they have been very good.