New Cruisers family of 4 ( 2 & 7 yr old)

Jessicahearts

Hi! We are newbies! We decided to take a Christmas cruise this year and are anxiously awaiting the day, but with us being new cruisers thought I would ask for ANY tips especially kid tips! I am a little nervous about leaving my kids in the camps so any info in that will be helpful as well.

We will be on the Carnival Liberty now changed to Valor.

Thank you,

Jessica

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let the kids guide you on the kid's club...most kids LOVE it! So, take them, and see how they do! The staff is highly trained...and your kids will be quite safe!

Research your ports....many things are quite easy to DIY..and with kids, it can get pricey, so the more you can do on your own, the better your pocketbook will like it!

Get the kids used to a shower, if they aren't already...unless you're in a suite, that' s all you'll have! And, bring any and all pediatric medications you MIGHT need...the ship doesn't sell child-strength stuff! Be prepared!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising, Jessica!

A couple of tips: 1) be sure and don't pack your boarding pass in your checked luggage! 2) be sure to have any medications or, in your case, supplies needed for the 2-yo in your carry on (enough in case your luggage does not get to your cabin until later in the day); 3) learn what "ship's time" is and be sure you have a watch or mobile device set so it does not change time based on the time zone! All ship board activities are based on ship's time, especially departure time from each port! You would not want to be a pier runner!!

Above all else, read up on the ports and on the various threads on CC to get an idea about what you can expect. Don't get discouraged by complainers as there are many who complain about everything!! Keep a good attitude and relax and enjoy the magic of your first cruise!

Hi Jessica- The shower and meds are great suggestions! Another thing that I have added to my most recent few trips is a fabric collapsing closet organizer- the ones that have little shelves for shirts etc (and We just replaced our last one for two sturdier but inexpensive ones with added drawers for socks and kids underwear.). They Velcro around the closet rod and I have found that we hang only our dress/dinner clothes, so we have a lot of rod space left. This adds space for kids clothes and keeps it organized. While I may "overpack", I have a consistent list that I review each trip, and have added to as needed, with things that make our life easier or have been cool traveling items. I have never felt like I missed anything. Let me know if you would like me to email you a copy and if you have any other questions. This upcoming sailing will be #5 and #3 for our kids. :) Best wishes for your travels!

Carnival's kids club takes kids starting at 2, and they will change diapers as long as the child is not too heavy for the changing table. EM

As long as your child had his/her second birthday by the time the cruise begins...it's okay. My girl was 23 months of age on her first cruise so we knew she wouldn't be old enough for Camp Carnival. She was three on her second cruise so she was able to enjoy it. Every morning she would ask if "ship's school" was open yet. We had no qualms about letting her spend plenty of time there.

Definitely make sure to take whatever medications your youngest would need as well as diapers/pullups as these won't be available in the ship's store. If you're flying to your embarkation port, you'll be going a day ahead (hopefully -- that's my #1 advice for anyone) and you can go the local Target or grocery store to get whatever you didn't want to schlep on the plane.

Hi Jessica- The shower and meds are great suggestions! Another thing that I have added to my most recent few trips is a fabric collapsing closet organizer- the ones that have little shelves for shirts etc (and We just replaced our last one for two sturdier but inexpensive ones with added drawers for socks and kids underwear.). They Velcro around the closet rod and I have found that we hang only our dress/dinner clothes, so we have a lot of rod space left. This adds space for kids clothes and keeps it organized. While I may "overpack", I have a consistent list that I review each trip, and have added to as needed, with things that make our life easier or have been cool traveling items. I have never felt like I missed anything. Let me know if you would like me to email you a copy and if you have any other questions. This upcoming sailing will be #5 and #3 for our kids. :) Best wishes for your travels!

I would love you to email me a copy! This has been so helpful! Thank you.

My Grandson went on his first cruise a 3 for my parents anniversary. He's 23, Diamond on his own points now, and is still cruising with the family. We will be cruising in December again with him...and the girl he is taking with him. My tip would be ZIP-LOCK BAGS. We would put each of his outfits in a zip-lock, including undies. They make 3 gal size. You can see through them and the packiing and unpacking was super easy. When the dirty outfit came off it went into the zip-lock and a big X was marked with a sharpie on the outside, and that zip-lock went into the suitcase (which we put under the bed). Bonus: Last day, there was very little packing to do. It also saves space in the luggage as you can press the air out. Carry any OTC meds your kids might need...and bandaids, neosporin. It's so much more convenient to have these available when the ship is sailing at night and the shops are closed. An umbrella type stroller is wonderful. Easy to get down the halls easily and through the shops where a bigger stroller is more difficult. Take a back-pack to give you hands-free control when on excursions. Grab a couple of milks at the buffet to keep in your fridge. My Grandson called room service near bedtime for cookies and milk over the years. He learned we kept an envelope with $1's and $5's for room service tips. He still remembers thinking what a great treat this was and how anxious he was to get settled into bed because it meant that room service would be coming. The waiters will make a huge fuss over the children and will make sure to have little snacks on the table to keep the little ones from getting fussy. Don't be afraid to take them to the MDR for dinner with you. The youngest one might take a nap in the umbrella stroller toward the end, but that's fine too. My Grandson has huge respect for the people in the service industry and one of the reasons is because of the cruises. He's learned manners and etiquette and social skills that I'm not sure he would have without all the travel and experiences he's had through the years. He's taken many of his friends with us over the years and they've had their own cabin as they've grown. It's a wonderful way for a family to vacation and I know you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

I've sailed with my kids since they were young. Perhaps we are not that fussy. We just improvise. My daughter did not like the pack and play when she was very young, so we kept the mattress pad and she slept on the floor for a week and was happy!

We grabbed extra boxes of cereal at breakfast for snacks.

At dinner we got a couple of glasses of milk for night bottles.

We also arranged a staff member to babysit several nights so we could have some adult time out.