Celebrity DINE AWARE Program for People with Allergies and Food Sensitivities

TravelKnitter

Hate to tell you, but on a ship where 3000+ pax are being fed, it is really difficult to cater to someone with a "preference" as opposed to an actual allergy/food sensitivity.. Sorry, but "Vegan" is a "choice" & not an allergy. If you want vegan, the best you're probably going to get is "steamed" veggies or "Tofu" intensive type dishes, sorry.

I was going to say the same thing.. for lifestyle choices they are not going to cook special food when they are so busy cooking for so many people who have foods that will make them ill.. or kill them. AS I have several food allergies I am requested to look over the menu the evening before and choose a dish that I would like altered.. Great service

I also find that they are very good at the buffet and will go out of to check on a food.

Hate to tell you, but on a ship where 3000+ pax are being fed, it is really difficult to cater to someone with a "preference" as opposed to an actual allergy/food sensitivity.. Sorry, but "Vegan" is a "choice" & not an allergy. If you want vegan, the best you're probably going to get is "steamed" veggies or "Tofu" intensive type dishes, sorry.

Well said.

My DHs allergies, which necessitate the carrying of an epipen at all times, were not handled well in Blu when we last cruised in Celebrity and ate there. The Maitre D (who was not good, very much had his favourites) handled all the pre ordering requests. Many nights we gave up pre ordering because we were waiting far too long to speak with him at the end of our meal. The reason predominately was because he was looking after guests who were vegans who had cruised several times with him before. Lots of debates and conversations and back and forward to the chef and we will do you something special.....

I see this as a failure of the Maitre d to effectively prioritise his time with guests but if he has such a wide range of special cases some priority is needed.

The cruiselines attention if it is to be prioritised shoukd be

1. Allergies where reactions would be significant

2. All other allergies and sensitivities

3. Lifestyle choices and faddy diets.

Edited by uktog

I am REALLY disappointed in this program.

I sent an email to the special needs department about my husband being a vegan (with a few more restrictions) and this is the response I received back -

Message body

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. Unfortunately, we do not have vegan options on our menu. However, we do have vegetarian options which can be modified to be made as vegan as possible.

We recommend once onboard speaking with the Maitre 'd to go over the menu and the meal accommodations.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best regards,

Sulay Suarez

Access Advocate

So basically NOTHING is new. :mad: :(

We've always met with the Maitre D' upon boarding but I thought with this new advocacy program and advance notice they might have more vegan options ordered.

I especially want to note the "as vegan as possible" phrase. :mad:

Not even a commitment or assurance that there actually WILL be vegan choices for him (which I know there will be.)

Why bother to advertise a new program?

I know others have said that being Vegan is a lifestyle choice which I think is a bit unfair. Vegans/Vegetarians may choose this direction out of religious or moral reasons too. Also take Vegetarians, its estimated 10% (of Brits at least) are vegetarian and yet whilst dishes in the MDR and Oceanview are marked as suitable, if they contain cheese then they likely contain animal rennet (as confirmed by the head chef on our Sep cruise).

So I admire that they are taking better care of those that have to avoid certain foods however I wish they could also get it right for the much larger group that don't eat meat. It's admirable they offer and indicate vegetarian food but not when that indication is incorrect or misleading people who don't eat meat to unwittingly do so. Better to remove the vegetarian symbols altogether, not mislead people, and then allow the customer to ask the necessary questions about the dishes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am REALLY disappointed in this program.

I sent an email to the special needs department about my husband being a vegan (with a few more restrictions) and this is the response I received back -

Message body

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. Unfortunately, we do not have vegan options on our menu. However, we do have vegetarian options which can be modified to be made as vegan as possible.

We recommend once onboard speaking with the Maitre 'd to go over the menu and the meal accommodations.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best regards,

Sulay Suarez

Access Advocate

So basically NOTHING is new. :mad: :(

We've always met with the Maitre D' upon boarding but I thought with this new advocacy program and advance notice they might have more vegan options ordered.

I especially want to note the "as vegan as possible" phrase. :mad:

Not even a commitment or assurance that there actually WILL be vegan choices for him (which I know there will be.)

Why bother to advertise a new program?

Update:

We are sailing on Princess prior to sailing on Celebrity and I sent in the same dietary request to them. This is the (very different) response I got from Princess:

Message body

Good afternoon,

Please be advised your booking has been noted and the ship will be made aware of your allergies/restrictions prior to your sailing. Please review the dietary information in the Cruise Personalizer. Once onboard, it is very important that you contact the Maitre d’ Hotel to discuss your special dietary needs and any special preparation of your meals.

Kind regards,

Dietary Coordinator

And to those that berated me for comparing my husband's diet to an actual allergy. No, it's not the same thing but the diet is on the advice of his cardiologist so it's a little more than just a lifestyle choice.

Update:

We are sailing on Princess prior to sailing on Celebrity and I sent in the same dietary request to them. This is the (very different) response I got from Princess:

Message body

Good afternoon,

Please be advised your booking has been noted and the ship will be made aware of your allergies/restrictions prior to your sailing. Please review the dietary information in the Cruise Personalizer. Once onboard, it is very important that you contact the Maitre d’ Hotel to discuss your special dietary needs and any special preparation of your meals.

Kind regards,

Dietary Coordinator

And to those that berated me for comparing my husband's diet to an actual allergy. No, it's not the same thing but the diet is on the advice of his cardiologist so it's a little more than just a lifestyle choice.

You don't become Vegan on a "Cardiologist's" recommendation. You reduce your saturated fat intake & eat more fish high in omega 3 fatty acids. That's WHAT a cardiologist would recommend!

I hope that Celebrity finds a way to have a dedicated, gluten-free area in the buffet. While gluten-free items have labels, the risk of cross-contamination is high.

The people I feel most sorry for are those who are so allergic to something, they could go into shock. Nut allergies, for example. If I get cross-contaminated with gluten, I'll get super sick, but I won't die.

In addition to gluten-free, I'd love for the dedicated area to mark the foods that are free of the top 8 allergens (milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soy, fish, shellfish).

It would be important to have someone serve the food, with dedicated serving utensils for each item, and not to let the guests take food for themselves.

Equally important would be to make everyone take a new, clean plate when getting food from the dedicated buffet.

Celebrity: Am I asking too much? It certainly seems doable, although I'm no expert in banquet or cruise ship food service.

PS: I found healthy, safer choices in the small, spa buffet area. I cannot remember the name of the area--The Spa Restaurant, perhaps? On the Summit, it is by the indoor pool area.

A lot of people don't even know it exists. All of the food came pre-plated, and everything had a label. They also have super-healthy smoothies for a charge (no extra charge with a premium beverage card).

Some non-gluten free foods were next to gluten-free, which isn't perfect, but it was much safer than eating in the buffet. I had no issues from any of the gluten free food I ate there. There weren't many choices (a couple simple, ultra-healthy dishes), but I appreciated the offerings.

Edited by TravelKnitter

I found healthy, safer choices in the small, spa buffet area. I cannot remember the name of the area--The Spa Restaurant, perhaps? On the Summit, it is by the indoor pool area.

Aqua Spa.

Whenever I went, I found it really difficult to find a table, but people always allowed me to share. I was often by myself, if my husband went to Choir practice.

I was on the Silhouette Thanksgiving sailing, and I am celiac stage 4.

I had written responses precruise from both the special needs department, the shoreside concierge, and from the ship restaurant department itself confirming my need for gluten free and then met on the first day with the chef and restuarant manager for Luminae.

I brought on my favorite gluten free dry snacks such as protein bars, popcorn, chips, and granola.

I was advised to not eat in the buffet, which I did not, and to only eat meals in the dining room(Luminae) and not the specialty restaurants although our room included the cover charge to them.

There are no item legends like in the main dining room or Blu for items that are gluten free, sugar free, vegetarian and the like. There were no pastries in Luminae which I could eat as they did not have gluten free flour mix onboard.

They did have gluten free bread which could be toasted for your meal. Other than oil and vinegar, there were no gluten free salad dressings.

I would preorder what I wanted for dinner the next night, and sometimes the menu could be modified, and otherwise, I would have gluten free pasta or steamed vegetables.

The only desserts outside of fruit if preordered would be a creme brulee or if enough notice given, a chocolate flourless cake.

I did go up to the buffet with my family members, and observed a gluten free rice pudding dessert( non vegetarian) with a chocolate drizzle on it. Unless one knew the source of the chocolate sauce, it may or may not have contained gluten.

The ice cream servers in the buffet were using the same scoop for whoever they were serving, so again a risk for cross contamination.

I inquired about the gluten free pizza at the buffet and was informed that there was none that day, and no idea if they would have any more gluten free dough that day. There was flour over the work surface where they were making other regular pizzas. Luminae offered to make me a gluten free pizza later in the cruise which I appreciated, but I did not want that for my dinner as there was a better option on what I preordered.

On the day we were in St Thomas, I went to Cafe al Bacio for a decaf coffee and a gluten free macaroon. The cookies are kept in separate jars and had tongs by each jar.

I sat down and was served the coffee and two macaroons. The only thing I previously had that day was a gluten free protein bar and bottled water. Within two hours, I had the symptoms and resulting issues that come with being glutened. My best guess is that the server picked up the wrong tongs, and I was cross contaminated.

I immediately informed the manager at Cafe al Bacio, guest relations and the chef, and also did so in writing. I did not eat anything else the rest of that day.

I want to say that the officers, staff members, restaurant maitre'd and employees on the Silhouette were all outstanding, and I wrote that in an separate emails on the day of departure to Celebrity departments, as well as filling out the online survey.

I did ask to be contacted to follow up with their Dine Aware program to prevent this from happening again to anyone who has a severe allergy, as this was easily preventable.

They could either saran wrap the macaroons, or use different colored tongs only for that jar. I have yet to hear back from Celebrity either by phone call or written response, and that disappoints me

The good news was that I lost three pounds on this holiday cruise, the less good news is that it wasn't due to extra exercise.

I cruise often with Celebrity and was excited to see this educational program being rolled out. It has not been fully implemented and all staff trained. I will avoid taking a cruise right after a transatlantic due to large staff changes, but I will continue to cruise with Celebrity. We cancelled next year's Thanksgiving cruise, and will book something further away from a TA crossing.

Next cruise in January, I am bringing on gf flour mix, along with my snacks, so I can have some baked goods. It would have been lovely to have a scone or a pastry, but it was not available on this cruise.

It would be great if there was a counter in the buffet for those with specific allergies could be served, and no cross contamination and everything properly labeled.

I am hoping that with more training, my experience will not be repeated for anyone else. If the Celebrity representative reads this post, then perhaps they will step up the training under this program for all employees who prepare and handle food.

I still had a great cruise minus the one day, but it would have been better if all days were great.

I was so fed up with the "gluten-free food Olympics" after taking too many long cruises in 2014, that I cancelled my future cruises. It just wasn't as much fun as it should have been trying to pick through the minefield that food allergies often present. Here it is 2+ years later and memories fade so I signed onto a quick 4-nighter in January solely to book some specific future cruises while onboard. I'm thinking I may not even mess with the dining room. Too hard with select dining on a short cruise. I hate having to explain all the time anyway. There's nothing quite as boring as listening to someone talk about food allergies....I bore myself. I changed tables once because of a lady with celiac, which I have, who went on and on, blow by blow. It's one of the reasons I prefer set time MDR and same waitstaff. Then I don't have to explain more than once, which I do privately, on the first night. I'm driving to the pier this time and will take my own munchies with me (just added a note to self to make cookies the day before). It is possible to eat GF in OVC if you're careful. I make a lot of salads and the chef prepares a protein to go on them (I introduce myself to the OVC chef on the first day). I'm sure I'll have a couple of taco salads, using the chili from the Mexican food station and cheese and onions from the salad bar. It works. Super easy for GF at dinner in the OVC. I love their stirfry and they have GF soy sauce now so I don't have to bring that anymore. It'll be interesting to see if they've gotten any better since I last cruised. Certainly couldn't be any worse than a 2013 Brilliance OTS TA (worst cruise ever) and 2014 Adventure OTS fiasco out of the UK (last Royal cruise ever). If there's something new worth noting, I'll post a review. And I also vote for a dedicated GF station in the OVC - it would be wonderful. :)

Edited by goofysmom99

Aqua Spa.

Whenever I went, I found it really difficult to find a table, but people always allowed me to share. I was often by myself, if my husband went to Choir practice.

Jackie, were you on the Summit, too? Our next cruise is on the Eclipse, and I'm hoping the Spa Cafe seating area has more room.

KK99: Thank you for your post. I didn't know I could bring my baking mix on board. What a great idea.

Cafe Baccio and cross-contamination: On a couple of occasions, they put a biscotti on my plate, despite my telling them that I need to eat gluten-free. Each time, I had to make sure they changed the plate. So, your cc might also have happened from their putting the complimentary biscotti on the plate, realizing the error, and just taking it off to replace it with a macaroon.

I hope that the new training will eliminate all this.

Ruth: "Gluten-free Olympics" -- love that! Yes, that's what it feels like.

I travel on business a lot, and the meetings always include a banquet breakfast and lunch. I've stopped attending them. Not only do I have to jump through hoops to make sure my food is GF (often, it is not, despite banquet chef promises), but mostly it is because I am so tired of having the GF conversation.

Honestly, every time I have that conversation, I want to . . .

Well, I won't say it, but let's just say I want to do the same things I do if I have a gluten reaction.

My husband and I always ask for a table for two, and if he is busy or dining with friends in the buffet, I ask for a table-for-one in the MDR or Blu. Thankfully, I enjoy dining alone, so it's not a problem, and it is far easier than having to go through all of the boring (you're right!) gluten stuff.

I have no problem sharing GF stories with fellow gluten-intolerants, but not with "muggles.";)

When I travel, I just want to relax and enjoy myself. Having to eat GF is work--much more work than people realize. Olympics. Yes.

Maybe one day we'll end up on the same cruise and can sit together.

Edited by TravelKnitter

Last year, on the Silhouette, I just happen to mention to our waiter, that I was allergic to mushrooms. Not only did he convey this to the chefs, but the head waiter came over to our table every night after dinner, and brought us the menu for the next evening's meal. If there was any selection that I wanted, but contained mushrooms, he would ensure that the selection was made without mushrooms. They did this each and every night for the rest of our cruise. Way to go Celebrity! :D

KK99: Thank you for your post. I didn't know I could bring my baking mix on board. What a great idea.

Cafe Baccio and cross-contamination: On a couple of occasions, they put a biscotti on my plate, despite my telling them that I need to eat gluten-free. Each time, I had to make sure they changed the plate. So, your cc might also have happened from their putting the complimentary biscotti on the plate, realizing the error, and just taking it off to replace it with a macaroon.

I hope that the new training will eliminate all this.

Cross contamination is also a nightmare for nut allergy sufferers. Staff just do not get it even when you tell them. Its a training issue, the chefs understand, some waiters who are looking after you in the dining room get it, but general servers do not.

Sadly the worst offenders are Celebrity butlers, we have now had to default to please bring no food into our room, we gave up on hors d oeuvres with no nuts, cheese plates without walnuts (worst was the butler on Silhouette who took the plate out, was back in less than a minute with a new plate - em I could still see the walnut crumbs on the cheese) no cookies with nuts instructions as they would still bring them on the same plate as items that might have been o k but the whole plate is now at risk.

I have no problem sharing GF stories with fellow gluten-intolerants, but not with "muggles.";)

Exactly!

I hope so. That year of too many cruises I escalated issues to F&B Mgrs and when they did nothing (one guy I saw 3 times on a B2B), I went to the Hotel Director, who did. Unfortunately, it takes perseverance to get any attention and it's tiring when you're supposedly on vacation. I'll be interested to see if they still keep the GF bread in the OVC at the pasta/pizza station with all the flour. Meanwhile, like you, I avoid banquet meals and potlucks. ;)

Edited by goofysmom99

Ruth: "Gluten-free Olympics" -- love that! Yes, that's what it feels like.

I travel on business a lot, and the meetings always include a banquet breakfast and lunch. I've stopped attending them. Not only do I have to jump through hoops to make sure my food is GF (often, it is not, despite banquet chef promises), but mostly it is because I am so tired of having the GF conversation.

Honestly, every time I have that conversation, I want to . . .

Well, I won't say it, but let's just say I want to do the same things I do if I have a gluten reaction.

My husband and I always ask for a table for two, and if he is busy or dining with friends in the buffet, I ask for a table-for-one in the MDR or Blu. Thankfully, I enjoy dining alone, so it's not a problem, and it is far easier than having to go through all of the boring (you're right!) gluten stuff.

When I travel, I just want to relax and enjoy myself. Having to eat GF is work--much more work than people realize. Olympics. Yes.

Exactly!

I hope so. That year of too many cruises I escalated issues to F&B Mgrs and when they did nothing (one guy I saw 3 times on a B2B), I went to the Hotel Director, who did. Unfortunately, it takes perseverance to get any attention and it's tiring when you're supposedly on vacation. I'll be interested to see if they still keep the GF bread in the OVC at the pasta/pizza station with all the flour. Meanwhile, like you, I avoid banquet meals and potlucks. ;)

Our granddaughter has Celiac and also gets really sick from cross contamination.

Our daughter recently took the family on a Disney cruise . Disney has a separate kitchen for gluten free (and maybe other allergies). Every meal a chef came out to ask my granddaughter what she would like to eat. They made her things she hasn't eaten before and never dreamed she could have.

She had a wonderful, wonderful week and never got sick at all. So it is possible.

Maybe you should try Disney.

I hope that Celebrity finds a way to have a dedicated, gluten-free area in the buffet. While gluten-free items have labels, the risk of cross-contamination is high.

The people I feel most sorry for are those who are so allergic to something, they could go into shock. Nut allergies, for example. If I get cross-contaminated with gluten, I'll get super sick, but I won't die.

In addition to gluten-free, I'd love for the dedicated area to mark the foods that are free of the top 8 allergens (milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soy, fish, shellfish).

It would be important to have someone serve the food, with dedicated serving utensils for each item, and not to let the guests take food for themselves.

Equally important would be to make everyone take a new, clean plate when getting food from the dedicated buffet.

Celebrity: Am I asking too much? It certainly seems doable, although I'm no expert in banquet or cruise ship food service.

PS: I found healthy, safer choices in the small, spa buffet area. I cannot remember the name of the area--The Spa Restaurant, perhaps? On the Summit, it is by the indoor pool area.

A lot of people don't even know it exists. All of the food came pre-plated, and everything had a label. They also have super-healthy smoothies for a charge (no extra charge with a premium beverage card).

Some non-gluten free foods were next to gluten-free, which isn't perfect, but it was much safer than eating in the buffet. I had no issues from any of the gluten free food I ate there. There weren't many choices (a couple simple, ultra-healthy dishes), but I appreciated the offerings.

Two of the suggestions here - allergen free food having dedicated utensils, and expecting guests to get a clean plate every time they go up to the buffet are basic standards of proper food handling/sanitation/hygiene in any buffet setting. Having a server at the buffet to serve the allergen free food is a challenge with all the cutbacks on staff that are happening everywhere makes this suggestion more of a hard sell unfortunately. It would be nice if this could be enforced, for the health and safety of all. I was once on a cruise and saw someone not being careless by switching utensils, but bypassing the utensils to use her hands. Just unbelievable what some people don't know or don't care about. We are taking our next cruise with Celebrity, but on Holland America they had automatic hand washing stations at each entrance to the buffet and we thought they were awesome. But unfortunately with something like that you can't insure that everyone will use them. After reading these posts I am thankful DH and I don't have food allergies to worry about, especially while travelling and being at the mercy of various food establishments.

Edited by galensgrl

I have just returned from sailing on the Reflection a few weeks ago. Notified Celebrity 3 months in advance of a dairy allergy (not lactose intolerance) and, like many ships, was given a menu to order in advance. No special accommodations were made just order something that doesn't contain cheese, butter, milk or cream. They would not let me see the desert menu. It would be a surprise. I was especially disappointed that I was served the same dessert 5 out of the 7 nights. That was a surprise all right!! Since they don't have dairy free desserts in the cafe (except jello, which is not a dessert!!) I look forward to something special each evening at dinner. With very little effort any dessert can be made dairy free with soy products which are readily available on every ship. Was highly disappointed in lack of consideration when every one else at the table is eating cheesecake, souffles and chocolate lava cakes. I'm hoping our March 2017 sailing will be much better.

Since I (Sherman) am allergic to nuts and especially cross contamination, we have over many cruises developed an approach which works for us and could be helpful to others with the same problem. Every cruise we bring a pack of hamburger and hot dog rolls and a box of matzoh from specific brands I can eat w/o a problem. We put the rolls in the refrigerator and use these items daily during the cruise. I specifically avoid any bread or dessert products prepared on the ship since they purchase flour in bulk and have no control of its contents. Perhaps a rather extreme approach but it works well for us.

I hope it improves, too! There are so many lovely things that can be made without dairy, as you say.

Just curious: What was the dessert they served? I hope it wasn't jello! Even if it wasn't, after all of those nights with the same dessert, I'm sure you must have been disappointed we well as bored.

Since I (Sherman) am allergic to nuts and especially cross contamination, we have over many cruises developed an approach which works for us and could be helpful to others with the same problem. Every cruise we bring a pack of hamburger and hot dog rolls and a box of matzoh from specific brands I can eat w/o a problem. We put the rolls in the refrigerator and use these items daily during the cruise. I specifically avoid any bread or dessert products prepared on the ship since they purchase flour in bulk and have no control of its contents. Perhaps a rather extreme approach but it works well for us.

I am definitely going to look into bringing food preparation items on board the next time I cruise. It is a brilliant idea. Thank you.

Our granddaughter has Celiac and also gets really sick from cross contamination.

Our daughter recently took the family on a Disney cruise . Disney has a separate kitchen for gluten free (and maybe other allergies). Every meal a chef came out to ask my granddaughter what she would like to eat. They made her things she hasn't eaten before and never dreamed she could have.

She had a wonderful, wonderful week and never got sick at all. So it is possible.

Maybe you should try Disney.

My experiences in Walt Disney World have been the same -- outstanding service and understanding. Almost everywhere I went, my gluten-free experience was the best.

I would love to cruise Disney, and to write about it. The price is a little over our budget, and other family members prefer not to cruise Disney because they're hung up on the "kid thing." I need to work on them!

In the meantime, I LOVE Celebrity, and I pray they make themselves the best. Goodness knows, I'll be the first to blast it to the world.

Thanks for the post.

Edited by TravelKnitter

It was a very dense chocolate cake which I absolutely loved the first night. The second night I had a poached pear which was not too appealing. When I requested no more fruit (which I have for breakfast and lunch) it was then back to the chocolate cake. Guess they baked one cake and I got to eat the whole thing over the span of the cruise. On the last day, they had an elegant tea for Elite members -- there was the cake again and it was served one more time at dinner. Really uncalled for.