Malcom Burn

Raxter54

We've had him on 3 cruises and found him warm and personable, although I admit I got a little tired of his WOO WOO. I think he was voted Carnival CD of the year last year. On cruise 2 with him we arrived at the past guest party after he mentioned it to us, and only 10 of the 100s of passengers showed! He discovered that the invitations were never sent! The poor waiters had 100s of drinks on trays and he begged us to take a tray each and leave---it was rescheduled. If you speak to him, remind him of this!

14998581354_fe65c6826b.jpg

Had him on the Splendor out of NYC in August 2015, was my favorite Carnival CD so far. Seems like lots of people hate his "woo-hoo" tag phrase he ends every announcement with, but I liked it. He also let loose a little bit at the adult game show, which was fun to see him in a different, not as PC/family environment.

Had him twice - once on Alaska cruise, and once on Caribbean cruise. His tag-line (woo-hoo) does get annoying. One cruise he was very outgoing, and the other cruise he literally was not to be found anywhere - except for hearing him during announcements.

According to the new CD schedule John Heald posted on his blog, the CD for our upcoming Freedom cruise will be Malcom Burn. Has anyone experienced him as CD, or have an opinion on how he handles the job? Thanks!

I cruised with him a few times out of NY - I think he's the best Carnival has ;)...fun, engaging, & such a genuinely nice guy.

Had him 3 times (2 Miracle, 1 Splendor). I'm not one to pay attention to the CD unless they're terribly annoying. I don't attend a lot of functions that involve the CD. Yes, his WOO HOO is annoying. It seems now that all the CDs are required to be Head Comic on Board, right? :rolleyes:

He's one of the few I've actually talked with and when that happened, I felt he was interested in what I had to say and he was helpful at one of the only times I actually requested some help from a CD.

And, honestly, at the PG party on the Splendor repo (San Juan-Miami 11/1/14), he had me in tears with his backup singing and dancing to Consuela Ivy's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

Just like food, preferences in CD's is so totally subjective. There are people who love Jen Baxter and she makes me want to jump overboard! So, really, you just have to decide for yourself.

According to the new CD schedule John Heald posted on his blog, the CD for our upcoming Freedom cruise will be Malcom Burn. Has anyone experienced him as CD, or have an opinion on how he handles the job? Thanks!

Had him once. He was actually pretty bad, awkward and not funny when he was trying to be. His head seemed to be bigger than the whale tail for some reason. And he pretty much kept to his circle of friends when he was out and about.

What he excelled at was his SILENT MOVIE "skit. It was funny watching him produce it, and even funnier watching it on TV the next day as a produced piece of work. Never seen anyone do it since.

We have sailed with Malcolm twice and had great fun. Friends also enjoyed him lots. My other fav is Felipe Couto. Dr E did a good job especially in his morning show, but I felt like Malcolm was more of a "real person". I'm stuck between Malcolm and Dr E for who did the best job on the "non public appearance" aspects of the job.

That said, it really is a subjective thing. I've sailed several times where I didn't even pay attention to the CD.

Thanks for all the replies. So Malcom's tag line is "Woo Hoo"? Seems that's a thing now. On the Dream, Jase Apps always said "Bye, I Said Bye!". A little annoying after the 20th time. As for Malcom, as long as he's not one of those "high energy", frenetic, "I drank 5 Red Bulls" types, I won't mind. ..

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Edited by Raxter54

We had a cruise with Malcolm as CD a few years ago (Miracle) and he was "OK." He wasn't terribly outgoing and his attempts at humor seemed to always come up a bit short (like you were waiting for the really funny punchline/finish and it never came). He wasn't poor at the job, just adequate.

To NCTribeFan: agree with you on Jen Baxter. ;)

We had a cruise with Malcolm as CD a few years ago (Miracle) and he was "OK." He wasn't terribly outgoing and his attempts at humor seemed to always come up a bit short (like you were waiting for the really funny punchline/finish and it never came). He wasn't poor at the job, just adequate.

To NCTribeFan: agree with you on Jen Baxter. ;)

100% in agreement. Malcolm was completely adequate. Nothing special, wasn't great, and I didn't see him around as much as previous CDs.

Jen....yes, some like her. We did not. Least favorite CD so far.

He was named CD of the year this year I thought.

Anyway, never had him but as far as that woo hoo stuff, we had Wee Jimmy on the Sensation a few years ago. He did it too. Didn't bother me but I'm not easily annoyed. Especially on vacation.

You'll be able to decide for yourself soon enough, which is what you should do.

Sailed with Malcolm once on the Miracle several years ago. Found him to be fun and engaging (from what little I can remember).

I certainly wouldn't quantify him as lazy, self-absorbed or annoying.

Apparently opinions of Cruise Directors are highly subjective.