LIVE from the Anthem of the Seas - December 16, 2016: TAKE TWO

bedazzler

Hey there!! I'm officially just two weeks out from my make-up cruise on the Anthem of the Seas (and only one week out from when my VACATION actually begins :eek: ) so I thought I'd start up my thread again on CC!

In case you hadn't heard, the Anthem went through some "rough weather" back in February and my boyfriend, Johnny, and I were unfortunately at its helm at the time. We both still believe that Capt. Claus guided us through the tough weather amicably, and so it happened to work out in our favor that we get to try the Anthem out a second time. On almost the same itinerary. Hey, I'm not mad.

THIS time, we get to stay in a Grand Suite too. Like I said, I ain't mad.

ANYWAY, I figured I'd get the ball rolling on this (while I put off packing, as per usual) to gather up any questions from interested parties about new Anthem stuff. I know my boyfriend and I aren't super duper thrilled with the new dining change (since we loved it before), but we'll see how it works out.

A little more about me: my name is Lindsay, I'm 24, and I'll be on this cruise with my boyfriend Johnny, 25, and his family (his brother, Joey, 22, & his fiancée Tori, 22; and his parents, Mary & John). Johnny's parents are Diamond Plus with Royal and this will be their 3rd cruise on the Anthem this year. I never thought I'd say that I'd go on the same ship twice in one year either, so I suppose that isn't as ridiculous as it sounds. Johnny and Joey are both Diamond members with Royal and this cruise should push me into Platinum territory.

We have 3 Grand Suites on Deck 8 for this sailing, and it's going to be awesome.

Here is the itinerary I've put together for a basic "what we're up to for two whole weeks."

Johnny and I are going to take attempt #2 at the BIG APPLE before our cruise since we both live on the west coast and last time we only got to go to Lower Manhattan (we had planned to see the rest of the city after the cruise... whoops). Let's hope it works out this time. Since we're long distance, I'm driving out to California with Joey and Tori NEXT FRIDAY (!!!) which means I should really stop procrastinating the packing and get on it! I have 2 weeks and 3 climates to pack for but I swore I would only bring 1 checked bag... I can do it, I promise.

Johnny and I are also celebrating Christmas next week since the cruise docks back in Cape Liberty on December 23rd, and I will be getting off the plane in Phoenix to spend the holiday with my parents.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Anthem that I can answer for you while we're onboard! I hope this thread continues with smooth sailing!

Edited by bedazzler

Hi we are sailing on the Anthem in May with my daughter Ashley who is 23. Looking forward to your review.

My husband and I just became Pinnacle club members and my daughter is diamond plus.

Wow...I remember reading about that cruise as it was happening. So sorry you were on it, but guess the silver lining is that you get to go again. Have a great cruise (and ore time in NY)

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

Good start. Curious how you are getting from Brooklyn to Newark.

Good question Bob. The day 3 itinerary seems ambitious to me. Upper West Side (Natural History Museum), lunch at 57th & 7th, Upper East Side (Met), and then Williamsburg, Brooklyn at 4 pm. I'm assuming their luggage will be stored at the hotel, so travel to EWR after dinner. A lot of scattered running around - IMO not the best plan in NYC. I'd suggest a cab across the park from the Natural History Museum to the Met and lunch at the Met with dinner later at the deli, which is near the hotel.

The New Yorkers on the East Coast Board could provide good advice and suggestions.

Good question Bob. The day 3 itinerary seems ambitious to me. Upper West Side (Natural History Museum), lunch at 57th & 7th, Upper East Side (Met), and then Williamsburg, Brooklyn at 4 pm. I'm assuming their luggage will be stored at the hotel, so travel to EWR after dinner. A lot of scattered running around - IMO not the best plan in NYC. I'd suggest a cab across the park from the Natural History Museum to the Met and lunch at the Met with dinner later at the deli, which is near the hotel.

The New Yorkers on the East Coast Board could provide good advice and suggestions.

Actually, yeah I've been meaning to change that. I want to move our Brooklyn activity (spoilers: looking at engagement rings!) to Wednesday. I don't think we'll have a problem moving between the upper East and West sides though; I've only been to NYC once and we weren't able to see Central park at all - so I was hoping to stroll through the park between the museums. Our luggage will be stored at our hotel as you said (a must have on our hotel checklist this time around) so being closer to our luggage all day makes more sense. Our hotel is right near Carnegie Hall.

It also makes more sense for getting from the city to Newark, I think. Last time we took an UBER from JFK to our hotel in Times Square and a car service from our hotel in Times Square to the pier, but that cost me ~$400 in car fares so I'm trying to avoid that this time around.

I already told Johnny to pack only 1 checked bag (and I'm doing the same) so that we have some chance of being able to take the subway with our luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, yeah I've been meaning to change that. I want to move our Brooklyn activity (spoilers: looking at engagement rings!) to Wednesday. I don't think we'll have a problem moving between the upper East and West sides though; I've only been to NYC once and we weren't able to see Central park at all - so I was hoping to stroll through the park between the museums. Our luggage will be stored at our hotel as you said (a must have on our hotel checklist this time around) so being closer to our luggage all day makes more sense. Our hotel is right near Carnegie Hall.

It also makes more sense for getting from the city to Newark, I think. Last time we took an UBER from JFK to our hotel in Times Square and a car service from our hotel in Times Square to the pier, but that cost me ~$400 in car fares so I'm trying to avoid that this time around.

I already told Johnny to pack only 1 checked bag (and I'm doing the same) so that we have some chance of being able to take the subway with our luggage.

Post back to get public transit directions. Cab from your hotel to NY Penn Station or the Airport bus to Newark from Port Authority is probably the best strategy. At Newark Airport you will have to take the Airtrain to the P4 station to get the shuttle to the Marriott. From the Marriott you will need a cab or car service to the port ($55-65).

How much are you paying for the Marriott? Did you consider a Jersey City hotel that has good access to PATH from Manhattan and the light rail to Bayonne?

Post back to get public transit directions. Cab from your hotel to NY Penn Station or the Airport bus to Newark from Port Authority is probably the best strategy. At Newark Airport you will have to take the Airtrain to the P4 station to get the shuttle to the Marriott. From the Marriott you will need a cab or car service to the port ($55-65).

How much are you paying for the Marriott? Did you consider a Jersey City hotel that has good access to PATH from Manhattan and the light rail to Bayonne?

We're actually meeting Johnny's family at the Marriott; they didn't want to spend the time in NYC. Johnny's parents picked (and graciously paid for) the Marriott for all of us; I think they have arranged transportation between the hotel and pier on Friday, we just have to get to the hotel some time Thursday night.

I'm hearing possible winter storms the 16-18 in the NE region!

Stay away!!! I want a nice smooth cruise!

I don't know if I can handle another storm! Hopefully it's still too far out to actually tell.

So I've been slacking with updating this as I've been super busy! I finished my packing and started the first leg of this trip. Joey, Tori and I drove from Phoenix to Orange County yesterday to meet up with Johnny. I'm spending the weekend here and bright and early Tuesday Johnny and I are flying to New York!

Tori and Joey go to ASU in Tempe, so they're driving back to Tempe on Monday and hopping on a plane Thursday to Newark.

I'm just lucky that I fit everything in the car...4b583858e5649b4d3e061ff2136bf547.jpg

Do we get a picture of you Bedazzler so we'll know who you are on board? I live in Jersey City and will be driving myself to the pier...which is certainly not as much fun as having friends drive you to the pier or taking a limo.

I'm hearing possible winter storms the 16-18 in the NE region!

Stay away!!! I want a nice smooth cruise!

The local forecast I am seeing now has no snow flurries until Saturday...though temps around 30*. I think a winter storm would be coming from the North down...as opposed to what was experienced last time at sea...we should be fine and clear! [but don't quote me!]

HLR

This is my current luggage situation at SNA. Hoping they don't yell at me about my backpack-purse thing (gotta have room for my DSLR!)92d9ebd69e0e10222c95cbf001d82909.jpg

Waking up at 4:00am is going to be worth it... dinner and empire state building tonight in The Big Apple!

Edited by bedazzler
Spelling

Do we get a picture of you Bedazzler so we'll know who you are on board? I live in Jersey City and will be driving myself to the pier...which is certainly not as much fun as having friends drive you to the pier or taking a limo.

Sure, here's a pic of me and Johnny! Hopefully you can make the drive just as fun as if you were in a limo!

71a6d0824bc08e12b7f0f4af1a9119a8.jpg