Grand injured

PonyPair

They have to embark specially trained bar pilots to take ships over the Columbia River bar. It is pretty dangerous. The Maritime museum in Astoria gives a fascinating look at this.

I would rather go across the bar in a big ship than in a 50 foot fishing boat. Yes it can be very rough crossing the Columbia bar. We never had any problems going across the bar when we fished down there out of Ilwaco Washington. The Coast Guard keeps pretty good tabs on the bar conditions because it is so dangerous and will close the bar in a minute if they feel the conditions are to dangerous, been there and done that more than once. Now I see the Grand Bridge cam is going the right direction. I wish they would have done this at 6am so we could see the Grand's progress down the Columbia river, it'll be dark soon.

Edited by Eaglecw

I would rather go across the bar in a big ship than in a 50 foot fishing boat. Yes it can be very rough crossing the Columbia bar. We never had any problems going across the bar when we fished down there out of Ilwaco Washington. The Coast Guard keeps pretty good tabs on the bar conditions because it is so dangerous and will close the bar in a minute if they feel the conditions are to dangerous, been there and done that more than once. I think the Grand left the Bridge cam in Dry Dock

The bridge cam is now up and running. They are heading toward the first bridge (St. Johns bridge).

I have been following this thread from the beginning and want to thank everyone for input and photos. It has been fascinating and a real learning experience.

Special thanks to chengkp75 for staying with the thread and giving us the benefit of his experience.

No doubt we learned a lot from the master himself, chengkp75.

Hmmmm....

Marinetraffic.com has stopped loading the map with the ships. Anyone else having trouble following the Grand?

She has been parked within sight of the still closed bridge in front of her for over an hour. Not sure if she is waiting for the bridge to open, favorable tides, or a pilot.

Edited by sloopsailor

I make it about 460nm to go. At 20 knots, that's 23 hours to go or a 6:30am local time arrival. Aim1, what time is the flight? Going to Europe, right? All those flights should be in the afternoon or evening unless he's connecting on the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh, that sounds better. I thought I saw her arriving at 11am. He flies at 3pm I think, but it'll take a while to get through all the queues to collect passports again before he can get off the ship.

6:30am should be plenty of time :)

It's showing 11:15 UTC but that 3:15am local. But I don't see any way they're docked by then; may be the ETA for pilot boarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The data input into AIS by the Navigating Officer typically is from "departure" (the sea buoy, pilot off) to "arrival" (sea buoy, pilot on). This is standard passage planning used by all ships.