Grand injured

PonyPair

I'd consider shortening an itinerary by two days a change that would warrant cancellations without penalty. However, being so close to departure date, I guess they figure they would not be able to resell all the rooms vacated due to cancellations.

I would be on her in a heartbeat for the right price. I have no real plans for the upcoming week and usually have a cruise bag packed. But, I am sure they wouldn't be offering a good deal at this point in time, especially seeing they will need to make up for some lost revenue. :D

Omg! Beautiful. Thank you folks again for sharing your knowledge. I have a new appreciation for those who keep these ships repaired inside and out.

ciao

Next time you're on a ship, buy a drink for the guy with 4 stripes and propellers on his shoulders, even if he can only have ginger ale. After a drydock, I have a lean, hunted look to me, what little hair hasn't fallen out is whiter, and I tend to flinch when someone calls my name. Drydock is a 26 hour a day job for the Chief Engineer.

Next time you're on a ship, buy a drink for the guy with 4 stripes and propellers on his shoulders, even if he can only have ginger ale. After a drydock, I have a lean, hunted look to me, what little hair hasn't fallen out is whiter, and I tend to flinch when someone calls my name. Drydock is a 26 hour a day job for the Chief Engineer.

Will do :D

After this thread there will be a long line of us looking for 4 stripes and propellers, we'll have big smiles and ship cards to buy that drink.

ciao

Yes sir. If I can't get one for you I will get one for your proverbial brother.

Oh boy, it looks cold! I know in the UK, as soon as we get a tiny bit of snow, the whole place grinds to a halt, but looks like it's been tricky over in Portland as well!

9805FCE8-47ED-4474-8F0E-0FD8CDB52AD8_zpsvrrkgrbu.jpg

48829DE5-2EFA-41FB-AD79-49AA7DDAB4E1_zpstot44phe.jpg

19050518-AC56-425A-8069-EC06FE8B7425_zpsi3l6hcgl.jpg

And some of the poorly platform thingy

73FF0105-BC0A-4CAE-B87F-39E4CA3616EE_zpsfzeurnjj.jpg

1CF8BE11-76FB-44E4-A0C6-28011BCF3F94_zpse9kzgdk1.jpg

E1FDED9F-59FD-4D44-8D72-26AD52A1952E_zpsks2xwfsl.jpg

Yes, that is a watertight door, and would explain why security rounds would not have noticed anything with the platform, but the "platform not closed" alarm should have. Even the hull paint faired remarkably well given that platform was hanging down for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the aft hinge is in shadow and I can't tell if it is actually damaged or not.

The guys who will have the real challenge (other than staying warm in the wind tunnel of the dock floor) will be if they are refinishing the pool deck. I foresee tarps and kerosene heaters.

Doesn't look like a replacement is being worked on unless a lot of the work is being done inside

They wouldn't be replacing it, they would be repairing the old platform. Since it appears that this was taken off first thing (the last photo shows the platform gone, but the pilot door in the top right is closed, and then the two photos above it show a gangway in that pilot door, so the platform was removed before all services were installed, and services are the first priority), so that they have as much time as needed to straighten and repair this platform. The platform will be in the welding shop being repaired in controlled environment. Especially in weather like this, you only do as much work out in the dock as absolutely necessary. The painters and "outside machinists" who are already working on the thrusters in the photo of the bow, and I'm sure starting to prep the propellers, rudders, and stabilizers, will be the cold ones.

Wow ... to those that posted pictures and videos ...thanks so much!!

It looks really cold there in Portland.

Actually, it is really cold here in Portland right now. They are working on the Grand 24/7 and I feel sorry for the workers who are out in our snow and ice right now.

Let me reiterate that, it is really cold here!! I feel sorry for the workers. I hope none of them ventured out last night because the roads were a nightmare....Our neighbor left work at 6 and got home at 12:30 am!! This is really not normal for here....I can't wait until we get to our winter home~ :D

Do you have access to photos that show the logo? I didn't see it in any of the pictures posted here.

KMVigs had a thumbnail on their post. It seems to have disappeared. Maybe the Grand won't be wearing the new livery?? Or, maybe it will. Guess we will need to wait and see.

KMVigs had a thumbnail on their post. It seems to have disappeared. Maybe the Grand won't be wearing the new livery?? Or, maybe it will. Guess we will need to wait and see.
Grand Princess

Here s peek At the Grands new look:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51793552

Sent from my iPad using Forums