Grand injured

PonyPair

Enlarged:

d080095c62776015bc872f7a31553906.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I just really don't like the new look. It seems so ticky tacky to me. With all the things they could have spent money on for the Grand, this is what they decided to do?? I know they did other things but heard it was just general maintenance and I think she needed so much more than that ... but just NOT this. To each his own, I guess. I will still sail on her because she is based out of SF and I will still have a good time because that staff on her is amazing.

Thanks for the picture. I just really don't like the new look. It seems so ticky tacky to me. With all the things they could have spent money on for the Grand, this is what they decided to do?? I know they did other things but heard it was just general maintenance and I think she needed so much more than that ... but just NOT this. To each his own, I guess. I will still sail on her because she is based out of SF and I will still have a good time because that staff on her is amazing.

I am with you not crazy about the logo... but I also don't see that there is that much wrong with the Grand... I have been on it 3 times in the past 5 years... leaving again on dec 30. I actually did the first cruise as well back in l998. I don't see that much difference.

They're doing the entire fleet so it makes perfect sense to do it now.

Any idea when she is scheduled to sail for SF? As of Tuesday about 8:30pm she is still shown at the drydock. I figure about a 30+hour sail down to SF so think she needs to leave by 6am Wed to make SF by noon Thursday so we can board.

Any idea when she is scheduled to sail for SF? As of Tuesday about 8:30pm she is still shown at the drydock. I figure about a 30+hour sail down to SF so think she needs to leave by 6am Wed to make SF by noon Thursday so we can board.

Do you have a time machine? For most of us, Tuesday at 8:30pm Portland time is still 24 hours away.

Anyway, the Columbia River Pilots website schedule (http://colrip.com/dispatch-info/dispatch-status/) says Tuesday at 5pm.

I think your 30 hours is way too optimistic. I expect they need about 28 hours from the Columbia River Bar and that's several hours downriver from Portland. Also, a noon arrival is probably way too late. Even though there are no passengers to disembark, they still have supplies to load, probably new crew members, etc. To be boarding at noon and serving lunch, they need to be there a few hours earlier to be ready (I'm assuming with everything else going on at Portland, provisioning the ship for the next cruise is not planned to happen there).

But, a 5pm Tuesday sailing is probably about right to be at San Francisco around 6am Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lstone19
Added more

LOL I had realized I was a day off, for some reason I was thinking it was Tuesday. Guess I can't wait to get on the Grand. Had received an email that said boarding was to start at 2pm, this was not the standard staggered boarding email. I figured a couple of hours to get ready and that's why I figured a noon arrival at the latest

Was getting nervous when I thought she was still in Portland late Tuesday night

Edited by DougH

I am scheduled to be on this cruise. The letter I have states that they will not begin boarding until 2PM with a sailing time scheduled for 6PM. Ordinarily the MDR closes at 1:30 for lunch. Hopefully the Horizon Court will be open for lunch.
The Horizon Court, as well as Alfredo's, the International Cafe, Trident Grill and Prego Pizzeria should all be open.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As of 10am Pacific Northwest time the Grand was still in Drydock.

I love to see a large ship in Drydock it means shipyard workers are making the LONG green or big money! When I was a young man I worked shipbuilding, worked 12 – 16 hours a day for years.

We’ve been on the Grand a few times and it’s a nice ship, sure there are things that some people don’t like but then you can’t please everyone.

I have another one of the bow, bit darker though...

A17E8FFA-073C-4275-9F88-7A200ED26A8F_zpsm3gxavms.jpg

And I spy water!

The husband has a flight home and should land on the morning of the 23rd, I get him home for Christmas, yeay! :D:D

Thanks for the pic. I'm also very happy to hear that you DH (Dave if I remember) will be home in time for the holidays. Enjoy them!:)

How long does it take to flood the dock and get the ship out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Technically, with a floating dock like this, you are not "flooding" the dock, but "pumping it down". It takes a couple of hours to get to the point where the ship is not floating off the blocks, but there is water around all of the various piping inlets and outlets, and over the thrusters, propeller shafts and stabilizers. They stop pumping at this point, and the yard and the ship go around and inspect all places where piping to the sea was opened (they inspect all sea valves by taking them out) as well as the machinery like the propeller shafts to ensure there are no leaks, then they will continue pumping until the ship is floating. It depends on the draft of the ship to determine how deep they have to pump the dock down, but 4-6 hours for a dock the size of Vigor's and a ship like the Grand, plus the time for watertight inspections (1-2 hours). Then it is complicated getting the ship out of the dock, since the keel blocks are only a couple of feet below the keel, and the wing walls are very close, so probably another couple of hours using mooring lines and lots of tugs to exit the dock. Until the bow of the ship leaves the drydock, the shipyard has financial responsibility for the ship, but once you "clear the sill", the Captain resumes command, and the cruise line is now responsible.

How long does it take to flood the dock and get the ship out?Forums

It all depends on how much work was done below the water line, shaft seals, propeller work, sea chests etc. they'll flood the dry dock until the ship just starts lift off the keel blocks and stop, then let the ship soak for a few hours, check for any leaks and then continue flooding the dry dock. as of 1:50pm it hasn't moved yet, but there is a tug, the Peter j. Brix off her stern, looks like she might be moving some this afternoon. You can watch any ship at this web site http://www.marinetraffic.com

Technically, with a floating dock like this, you are not "flooding" the dock, but "pumping it down". It takes a couple of hours to get to the point where the ship is not floating off the blocks, but there is water around all of the various piping inlets and outlets, and over the thrusters, propeller shafts and stabilizers. They stop pumping at this point, and the yard and the ship go around and inspect all places where piping to the sea was opened (they inspect all sea valves by taking them out) as well as the machinery like the propeller shafts to ensure there are no leaks, then they will continue pumping until the ship is floating. It depends on the draft of the ship to determine how deep they have to pump the dock down, but 4-6 hours for a dock the size of Vigor's and a ship like the Grand, plus the time for watertight inspections (1-2 hours). Then it is complicated getting the ship out of the dock, since the keel blocks are only a couple of feet below the keel, and the wing walls are very close, so probably another couple of hours using mooring lines and lots of tugs to exit the dock. Until the bow of the ship leaves the drydock, the shipyard has financial responsibility for the ship, but once you "clear the sill", the Captain resumes command, and the cruise line is now responsible.

Fascinating. As with most things, cruising included, there is almost always "more than meets the eye" and a lot of things that are associated with even the smallest of things. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Tom

Tom, It is Fascinating, I've done that operation probably a hundred times, every time it's a little different. The Princess Bridge cam isn't keeping up with the AIS vessel tracking. I'm showing that the Grand is now out in the middle of the Willamette river. The grand Princess Bridge cam is still halfway in the Dry dock.