Tipping Cabin Steward?

MarinaDCA

Hi All :)

We are on the Reflection this Saturday (yay!) and I am wondering what amount to tip my cabin steward.

Please, no tipping debates. I know I don't HAVE to tip the steward before hand but I WANT to do so.

So, now that I have decided that we'd like to tip...how much? Hand it to them at the first meeting?

Thanks for any insight for others who have done this.

There is a suggested daily amt for each stateroom category...can be added on to your account.

We also give extra upon meeting, for extra service along the way and at the end...amts vary. Our last attendant was amazing...so we rewarded him.

The tip will automatically be added to your on-board account. Most people just leave it as is and everything is taken care of for all crew who should be compensated, including some providing support services that we never meet. Sometimes at the end of the cruise we give an additional $20 to $40 to the cabin attendants and our MDR waiters, but only if we felt they exceeded our expectations. That happens most, but not all, of the time.

Unlike a previous poster, we have never given a tip at the beginning of the cruise. We personally would be insulted if we were in staff's position as it is seen by many as a bribe. Tipping at the start is telling them they can't be trusted to provide good service unless they are paid up front to do so. This puts them in a position of "owing" the pre-tipper, which is not a good position for anyone to be in. We have always gotten good to excellent service without the need to bribe them in advance.

Edited by sloopsailor

There is a suggested daily amt for each stateroom category...can be added on to your account.

We also give extra upon meeting, for extra service along the way and at the end...amts vary. Our last attendant was amazing...so we rewarded him.

Oh yes - we will be leaving the daily tip in place. But I have seen people discussing tipping the steward upon meeting, and I was wondering what a decent amount for this way. :)

the tip will automatically be added to your on-board account. Most people just leave it as is and everything is taken care of for all crew who should be compensated, including some providing support services that we never meet. Sometimes at the end of the cruise we give an additional $20 to $40 to the cabin attendants and our mdr waiters, but only if we felt they exceeded our expectations. That happens most, but not all, of the time.

Unlike a previous poster, we have never given a tip at the beginning of the cruise. We personally would be insulted if we were in staff's position as it is seen by many as a bribe. Tipping at the start is telling them they can't be trusted to provide good service unless they are paid up front to do so. This puts them in a position of "owing" the pre-tipper, which is not a good position for anyone to be in. We have always gotten good to excellent service without the need to bribe them in advance.

+1

don

We usually leave $40 at the end of the cruise. Like a couple other posters, I don't really believe in giving it at the start. I have never had a bad or even less than good, steward so the $40 (on top of the standard tip), is what we do. Last cruise, we tipped the bartenders at the Molecular bar on the Silhouette extra as well since we drank a lot there and they made us some really good, non-menu drinks. Again, on the last day although we also tip a $1 cash on most drinks.

Edited by Russterus

Never, never, never tip at the beginning of the cruise. Just leave on the automatic tips or pre tips, and tip for room service only -- a couple dollars or so depending on what you order. At the end of the cruise if you think your cabin attendant did an excellent job, that's when you give him/her extra.

We are on the Reflection this Saturday (yay!) and I am wondering what amount to tip my cabin steward.

Please, no tipping debates. I know I don't HAVE to tip the steward before hand but I WANT to do so.

So, now that I have decided that we'd like to tip...how much? Hand it to them at the first meeting?

However much you like.

I had 2 cabins and gave $20 per cabin on mtg and $20 per cabin on leaving and left the daily amt in place

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, this was exactly what I was thinking and wasn't sure what a "good" amount.

I hear all you folks you say not to tip ahead, I understand your opinions, and thank you for sharing them.

Money given at the start of your cruise is called a bribe not a tip.

We don't see it that way at all. Not a bribe but a tip for delivering 4 heavy pieces of luggage..just like we would tip at a hotel...

The standard daily gratuity is for service keeping the room in order clean towels, etc, Extras for extra ice, etc...

I guess everyone does what they want..,and hopefully at least goes with the minimum suggested.

We are on this cruise, too. [emoji1319] It will be my 38th cruise. [emoji51]

Here is what I do. If I have requested something above and beyond normal services, I tip the steward either when I ask, or when it comes. Example, back in pre drink package days, I would always ask upon boarding for a bucket of ice to be kept in the cabin, and offer a 20$. That's not relevant now. Or, some times the beds had to be moved together or apart, and I would ask for the switch and casually mention that we like to sleep in late and likely wouldn't need anything when they do morning cabin cleaning, and give them a 20 then. That was a good investment. Haha! I know your question was about the steward, but I will suggest befriending a couple of bartenders ASAP, and tipping them early, and they won't let you down when things get crazy later in the week. Getting a poolside drink is a rat race on busy days. [emoji6]

Looking forward to meeting you. Not looking forward to packing. [emoji85]

Debbi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We don't see it that way at all. Not a bribe but a tip for delivering 4 heavy pieces of luggage..just like we would tip at a hotel...

The standard daily gratuity is for service keeping the room in order clean towels, etc, Extras for extra ice, etc...

I guess everyone does what they want..,and hopefully at least goes with the minimum suggested.

When we're asking for extra attention, we're happy to tip for it. :)

It never hurts to tip "Early & Often". ;)

Edited by OCruisers

We are on this cruise, too. [emoji1319] It will be my 38th cruise. [emoji51]

Here is what I do. If I have requested something above and beyond normal services, I tip the steward either when I ask, or when it comes. Example, back in pre drink package days, I would always ask upon boarding for a bucket of ice to be kept in the cabin, and offer a 20$. That's not relevant now. Or, some times the beds had to be moved together or apart, and I would ask for the switch and casually mention that we like to sleep in late and likely wouldn't need anything when they do morning cabin cleaning, and give them a 20 then. That was a good investment. Haha! I know your question was about the steward, but I will suggest befriending a couple of bartenders ASAP, and tipping them early, and they won't let you down when things get crazy later in the week. Getting a poolside drink is a rat race on busy days. [emoji6]

Looking forward to meeting you. Not looking forward to packing. [emoji85]

Debbi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ugh packing!!! Aside from making sure I have the things I want I have not really gotten started.

I most likely will make a request at the beginning, depending on how firm the bed is I will want a topper.

And bartenders are important, I plan to be good to a few of my favorite bartenders!

Looking forward to meeting you too :)

It's all up to you.

Ugh packing!!! Aside from making sure I have the things I want I have not really gotten started.

I most likely will make a request at the beginning, depending on how firm the bed is I will want a topper.

And bartenders are important, I plan to be good to a few of my favorite bartenders!

Looking forward to meeting you too :)

Do you normally go into an expensive restaurant and tip the waiter when he initially greets you and pours you a glass of water?

I can understand tipping for delivery of luggage, but that is not what you said in your earlier post. My apologies for not recognizing what you meant.

If you are tipping for the luggage delivery, then by all means, do so at the time. This is no different than tipping the person who delivers room service when he arrives.

But tipping in advance to influence future service is indeed a bribe, and is considered as such in most of the world. Many of the crew come from countries where bribing is rampant and usually illegal, and consider it to be insulting and demeaning. I would never consider insulting these hardworking people by trying to manipulate them with bribes.

Edited by sloopsailor

Bribery is a strong word...esp in a legal context and do not think it applies here...sorry some took it that way...

Always thought TIPS stood for "to insure prompt service"...or something like that....and that at some point in history it went from pre meal to post meal....

Edited by hcat

If they do a good job, we leave a thank you note and $20 at the end of the cruise in addition to the automatic tips. If we were asking for more work on their part than usual, I would potentially add more but we are pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you normally go into an expensive restaurant and tip the waiter when he initially greets you and pours you a glass of water?

Yes - that's totally the same situation :rolleyes:

I can understand your side of this discussion, but some people seem unable or unwilling to see the other. I have nicely (twice at least) thanked people with the "it's a bribe!" type opinion for sharing their thoughts, but some folks seem hell bent on being rude.

I asked what people gave as I WANT to. I do not think you have to at all. I am not trying to "bribe" my steward. I do plan to make a request right away and want to thank then for it and for taking care of our room for 7 days. What would I be bribing them for anyhow?