Bringing Wine Onboard - Still Conflicting Info on This

Hazydavo

There is no longer a Corkage Fee. Royal Caribbean seems to never update their documents. Likely too expensive. Don't over think this folks. It's easy to verify, just go on their website, type "corkage fee" into the search function and it'll bring you to a list. But if you're still concerned, simply open the bottle before you go to the MDR. Then no one will have to uncork it. Check the FAQ section and here's the official answer from the website:

"Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

A:

No. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption."

Edited by papaflamingo

Bob, I seem to recall others reporting this same wording on their cruise docs for Caribbean sailings as well. Like you we have ever been charged corkage fees and I haven't read any reports of anyone who has.

Maybe RC has a canned paragraph they insert in the cruise docs depending on the booking country, itinerary, or some other criteria; and that has not been updated in at least one instance.

I just got cruise docs released yesterday for an upcoming cruise, and this is the only paragraph concerning wine:

Alcohol Policy

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor,

fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines)

or nonalcoholic beverages onboard for consumption

or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine or

champagne onboard only on embarkation day, limited to

two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750 ml each per stateroom.

Wine should be brought onboard via carry on if possible.

Luggage containing wine or champagne will not be

delivered to the stateroom and guests will need to retrieve

their luggage from security once the ship has set sail.

Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest over 21 years

of age are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne

onboard. Guests may request a corkscrew to use for

opening bottles in their stateroom.

No, booked direct with RC. The documentation I'm referring to that still says that they will charge corkage in public areas is when I login and go into My Cruises, select the cruise (reservation number) and then click on the Cruise Documentation tab. Then under Guest Ticket Booklets select check status, then Print and it opens in PDF ready to print (if one were to be so inclined).

It would appear that they haven't yet updated this because at this link under FAQs it says there's no corkage...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&wuc=AUS

I would definitely let Royal Caribbean know about the error so they can look at it and fix it for others so they do not share a similar concern in the future.

:)

It's par for the course for RC to have conflicting info. We carry wine on board all the time, most recently in October, and no corkage fees.

Bob, do you carry on reds, or have you ever taken a white in the day before to be chilled?

Bob, do you carry on reds, or have you ever taken a white in the day before to be chilled?

We've never carried on a white, but if we did it would not be difficult to have it chilled. You could ask your stateroom attendant to bring you a bucket filled with ice. Bars can do this too.

We've never carried on a white, but if we did it would not be difficult to have it chilled. You could ask your stateroom attendant to bring you a bucket filled with ice. Bars can do this too.

Yes, that is what we have normally done for drinking in the cabin - just seems like it would be much more efficient to have it cooled in a cold room and brought to the table cold. Although I suspect there may be a problem retrieving it, we have even lost bottles from one night to the next that we have purchased from them!

Thanks for answering, just wondered if anyone had done it successfully!

Yes, that is what we have normally done for drinking in the cabin - just seems like it would be much more efficient to have it cooled in a cold room and brought to the table cold. Although I suspect there may be a problem retrieving it, we have even lost bottles from one night to the next that we have purchased from them!

Thanks for answering, just wondered if anyone had done it successfully!

Another option would be to go to the entrance of the MDR right after you board and give it to the host/hostess there. They should be able to have it chilled by dinner.

You are ALLOWED 2 bottles per cabin...assuming there are 2 adults in the cabin. There is NO corkage on RCI....none. Put your allowed wine in your carry-on.

And...because there is NO CORKAGE...you may consume it ANYWHERE...at ANYTIME.

Doesn't matter if there are 2 adults in the cabin or not - 1 adult - still 2 bottles per cabin

I love this!! A corkage fee of $15 per wine bottle is charged on NCL. So, of course, a lot of passengers try to smuggle spirits aboard. When they get caught, first they are keelhauled, then made to walk the plank, and then just left on an uninhabited island somewhere! :D:D:D Needless to say, we are now booked on RCCL. :cool:

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

A:

No. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

What will happen if I put the 2 bottles of wine in my luggage? Has anyone done that without problems?

We have had 2 bottles of wine in our checked luggage three times. Alaska a few years ago on Radiance, Navigator from Southampton this past May, and Jewel from San Juan this past Saturday. All three times the luggage, with the wine, was delivered to our room without delay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they may or may not hold 2 bottles until the second cruise.

If they hold 2 bottles, where will they be held at? The port? So when we get off & on during the turn around day, is that when we'll get the remaining 2?

We were thinking that my DH would take 2 and I would take 2 and go thru security separate.

If they hold 2 bottles, where will they be held at? The port? So when we get off & on during the turn around day, is that when we'll get the remaining 2?

We were thinking that my DH would take 2 and I would take 2 and go thru security separate.

If they hold the bottles, they will hold them on the ship. Same place they store liquor you buy on board, or that you bring on board from port stops. You would get it on the last night of the first cruise.

cruzingduo:We were thinking that my DH would take 2 and I would take 2 and go thru security separate.

Works for us.;)

I wonder if anyone has tried carrying on two and checking two in the luggage. If security isn't tracking how many bottles each cabin has, it might be possible.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys :-) I was trying to find a topic I was reading on taking wine onboard a while back.... my question was after taking my 2 bottles per stateroom, are you able to take extra bottles of wine when embarking and pay the corkage ($15?) per extra bottle of wine over 2 bottles ? Or do they just confiscate the extra bottles and return them at the end of the cruise ? With prices of wine onboard would still work out better to buy wine and pat corkage rather than pay the prices ? Or would you suggest I cut down on my wine consumption lol

Hi Guys :-) I was trying to find a topic I was reading on taking wine onboard a while back.... my question was after taking my 2 bottles per stateroom, are you able to take extra bottles of wine when embarking and pay the corkage ($15?) per extra bottle of wine over 2 bottles ? Or do they just confiscate the extra bottles and return them at the end of the cruise ? With prices of wine onboard would still work out better to buy wine and pat corkage rather than pay the prices ? Or would you suggest I cut down on my wine consumption lol

No, it's really just two bottles per stateroom.

(unless you use the methods mentioned here)

There is no provision for "paying" to bring more.

Works for us.;)

I wonder if anyone has tried carrying on two and checking two in the luggage. If security isn't tracking how many bottles each cabin has, it might be possible.

Yes, it has been done.

You're luggage may go to the naughty room, for collection.:D