kids sail free//advice

Here's the situation:

My wife and I have two kids.

Her brother is also going on the cruise so to save him from paying the double occupancy amount, I put one of my kids in his room and we agreed that I would pay the 3rd person fare that I would've paid anyways and he would pay the difference. Once onboard, she would just move to my cabin.

Our sailing now has kids sail free as a 3rd and 4th guest. I got the one discount but now I don't know if I even bring it up or just eat the $700 and not say a word about it.

Any advice....

That's a pretty personal decision. Don't think it's something for us to decide.

I know....I've just been battling in my mind back and forth. I don't want to just walk away from saving $700, but I also don't know if he would still go on the cruise if he had to pay the full double occupancy rate.

Oh well, at least it's a decision where I've already saved some money and it's not a 'bad' problem to have.

Will your child actually be staying in Uncle's room, or is it just an administrative designation and the children will both stay in your room?

We've actually done something like this. When traveling as an extended family, we often book into suite hotels that have a fold-out couch, but my kids don't like to share a bed. So one of them will stay with my parents in the fold-out couch in their room, or with my sister (who has no kids). It definitely makes us all happier! In hotels, one doesn't pay by the guest, so there's never been an issue of it making a difference in anyone's room rate.

If your kids would actually stay with their uncle (maybe even take turns), you'd be less crowded in your stateroom and you might decide that's worth something to you.

If your kids are going to stay with you anyhow--maybe your brother-in-law could just bring a friend? Now that it costs your family group the same to be 6 people as to be 5?

I know....I've just been battling in my mind back and forth. I don't want to just walk away from saving $700, but I also don't know if he would still go on the cruise if he had to pay the full double occupancy rate.

Oh well, at least it's a decision where I've already saved some money and it's not a 'bad' problem to have.

That is a tough one. I think only your brother could answer this. Maybe there is another family member that could sail with the brother

Both kids would be staying in my cabin.

As far as bringing a friend or another family member, most of the family is already going and friends were invited when we booked. I think I'm gonna have to talk to him or just act like I never saw it and pay for it.

Here's the situation:

My wife and I have two kids.

Her brother is also going on the cruise so to save him from paying the double occupancy amount, I put one of my kids in his room and we agreed that I would pay the 3rd person fare that I would've paid anyways and he would pay the difference. Once onboard, she would just move to my cabin.

Our sailing now has kids sail free as a 3rd and 4th guest. I got the one discount but now I don't know if I even bring it up or just eat the $700 and not say a word about it.

Any advice....

Eat it.... but I know it doesn't taste so good. Maybe one day he will return the favor.... but I know you told your wife so it makes it much harder...

if it were me I would just be thankful for the savings for one child. I would not ask my brother to pay more unless the difference for him to sail solo is less than the $700 you are missing out on saving. if it would less than $700 than move the child back to your booking and give you brother the difference for his fare. otherwise just leave things as they are.

I'd also want to save $700. However, looking at it from your brother's point of view - you'd be asking him to pay an additional $700 basically for no reason. Not sure that's completely fair to him. However the savings for him was basically you guys doing him a solid. I might approach him, explain the situation, and ask him what he thinks is fair. I like the idea of splitting the difference. He may have other thoughts.

P.S. I assume you've priced out the sailing with all 4 kids in the room. I've found prices on Kids Sail Free sailings are higher per-person than the weeks before and after with no Kids Sail Free promo, so it's almost like they've baked in the price of the "free" kid into the rate.

Just an update for those of you that care....

I talked to my brother in law and we agreed that we would split the $700 and I would pay for his drink package since I have a ton of obc. It works out around $700 still, but at least half is obc. No single cruise fares on Allure and the rate was much lower with kids sail free, I actually also saved money on the regular cabin rate.

I'm good with it....Thanks for the opinions.

I talked to my brother in law and we agreed that we would split the $700 and I would pay for his drink package since I have a ton of obc. It works out around $700 still, but at least half is obc. No single cruise fares on Allure and the rate was much lower with kids sail free, I actually also saved money on the regular cabin rate.

So glad it all worked out for you. Have a wonderful time on an amazing ship!:):):)

Sounds like a win for everyone.

I'm glad you got it worked out.

I just wanted to ask if you made sure your room actually sleeps 4. My friend went on a cruise with the kids and the grandparents and had planned on changing the sleeping arrangement from what was actually booked, but it turned out the staterooms they had couldn't accommodate the plans they had. i.e. sofa beds but no Pullmans.

I travel with only one child, and most of my rooms (but not all) have fit only 3 people.

I'm glad you got it worked out.

I just wanted to ask if you made sure your room actually sleeps 4. My friend went on a cruise with the kids and the grandparents and had planned on changing the sleeping arrangement from what was actually booked, but it turned out the staterooms they had couldn't accommodate the plans they had. i.e. sofa beds but no Pullmans.

I travel with only one child, and most of my rooms (but not all) have fit only 3 people.

I have a jr suite so one kid will sleep on the sofa (she's 2) and the other will be in a pack n play. I did ask though and it does sleep 3.