Pre cruise stay Honolulu how many days?

nanourw

We might the possibility to arrive in Honolulu a few days before our cruise depart, next year early October,

How many days would you recommend? Can't be more than 5 days but don't want to arrive 5 days early if 2/3 days are sufficient to get a nice overview of the island.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.

Edited by nanourw

We cruised out of Honolulu a few years ago and flew in three full days early. I would have liked one more day. Did the traditional stuff, Dole, Pearl Harbor, toured around the island, spent 1/2 day at the beach. Did not get to go to Duke's (was on my bucket list) or just go on your own tonwander around town things. I guess I would have liked ones more day, but that's just me. Check out what you would like to do and give yourself ample time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've spent only 1.5 days in Honolulu, and I wish we had at least another 3 days.

Half a day was spent at Pearl Harbor, and one day rushing to see the "must".

We didn't spent any time on beaches, relaxing...

I liked the atmosphere in Honolulu, it is my kind of city.

Also, we came from Israel (via LA, where we spent 3 days to adjust to the 10 hours difference and the long flight), and then another 6 hours from LA to Honolulu, which I assume is almost the same from visitors from mainland US -- a very long flight and time difference too... If you can afford 4-5 days -- go for it !!!

I'm so very sorry we didn't spend more time in Honolulu :mad:

I agree that 5 nights would be best when flying from the UK to Hawaii.

I don't know your arrival times however the first night would probably be wasted & maybe the next day while adjusting to the time change which should give you 3 full days of enjoying Oahu before embarking your ship. That would allow sufficient time to do more than seeing many things from your rental car & instead to have time to relax and to enjoy the beauty of Hawaii.

It can be done with fewer nights but it'd be like our couple of days pre-cruise London trips where we were exhausted after a couple of hectic days of touring after a long flight from LAX.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You need to figure out just what it is that you want to do while on Oahu. For example, if you are planning on visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center that will need a full day to do it properly, including the evening show (highly recommended). To do the Pearl Harbour, USS Missouri full tour and Ford Island thing will eat up a good part of another day. To do a reasonably extensive car tour of the island will take another full day, or more, depending on what areas you wish to visit. Snorkeling ? Beaches? Luau's? Honolulu shopping? Diamond Head ?, etc, etc. Get a couple of good tour guidebooks.

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

SERIOUS jet lag is the key...gonna take you 2 days AT LEAST to adjust! Do the 5 day pre cruise. You won't be sorry!

And, get a guidebook on Hawaii, so you can figure out what's important for you to see and do!

Edited by cb at sea

Do as many days as you can and it still won't be enough days.

I'd join Cruise Critic's parent company TripAdvisor, if you are not already a member, and lask about the land based portion of your trip there. Even reading the Top Questions puts you way ahead of the game.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29222-i37-Oahu_Hawaii.html