Regretting my Choice

scarlet-amelia

I am NOT an impulsive person, and I tend to research the heck out of just about everything. I didn't do that for our upcoming cruise... and I am seriously starting to regret my choice.

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. (We've never sailed Norwegian). I had taken a cursory look at all the cruise lines, and this was the only 7 day cruise that hit the islands that we haven't been to yet. It goes to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All new destinations for us. Also, we love to snorkel, and these are top notch snorkling locals.

Well... now that I'm starting to read more about this cruise, the more I'm getting that sinking feeling that is telling me I booked the wrong cruise. Here is what I discovered that was a surprise to me.

1. in order to get into the "good pool" (i.e. quiet and adult only) you have to get to the port and on the boat as early as possible.. rush to the guest services counter, and PAY $99 per person for the week, for the privilege of the nice pool.

2. We don't drink much, however, on cruises, we tend to drink a lot of frozen "umbrella" type drinks. the Ultimate Beverage Package costs more than our cruise. And I looked at the drink prices, and they are outrageous.. (20-30% more than on Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

3. I didn't realize that we weren't really going to Belize.. but, instead their private island, for a day on the beach. (they didn't really state that when we booked). Because of that... there are no snorkeling excursions there. One of the best places in the world to snorkel and dive... and we are going to miss it.

4. I didn't realize that the shows aren't included. From what I understand, there are currently 2 shows that are free. Any other shows we want to see. (Illusionarium, or comedy shows, etc... ) is additional.

5. You can have breakfast in your cabin.. but only if you get a cold breakfast. If you want a hot food... it'll cost you.

6. No promenade. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is to walk the promenade, and enjoy, not only the exercise.. but the quietness. Instead, they put shops restaurants and bars along the short outside walkway. There goes the peace and quiet.

To me, it seems like this is more like the Carnival Cruise I took decades ago, when I swore that I would never cruise Carnival again.. it was a party ship. We aren't party people.

I'm just sick about this.

Can someone either reassure me that it won't be so bad, or

offer a suggestion to get out of it?

If you can afford to upgrade to a suite you will have the perks that you want without being nickeled and dimed. If you can't upgrade then make the most of it and go with an open mind to have a good time. Princess is way more upscale but NCL has it's pluses too.

If your departure is after 3/11/17, cancel.

If not, an expensive lesson was learned that by your own admission could have been avoided with a few moments of research (which you apparently did after booking).

Given the disappointment you will experience by not having the limited chance to get into the "exclusive" adult area, the hefty price of beverages, the restrictive access to Belize, the pay-per-view shows, room service options and the lack of a promenade for "quiet time", you may be better served just eating any cancellation fees involved with getting out of what sounds like a tortuous vacation that will leave you stressed and frustrated.

It is doubtful anyone here can provide the reassurances you seek.

I am NOT an impulsive person, and I tend to research the heck out of just about everything. I didn't do that for our upcoming cruise... and I am seriously starting to regret my choice.

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. (We've never sailed Norwegian). I had taken a cursory look at all the cruise lines, and this was the only 7 day cruise that hit the islands that we haven't been to yet. It goes to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All new destinations for us. Also, we love to snorkel, and these are top notch snorkling locals.

Well... now that I'm starting to read more about this cruise, the more I'm getting that sinking feeling that is telling me I booked the wrong cruise. Here is what I discovered that was a surprise to me.

1. in order to get into the "good pool" (i.e. quiet and adult only) you have to get to the port and on the boat as early as possible.. rush to the guest services counter, and PAY $99 per person for the week, for the privilege of the nice pool.

2. We don't drink much, however, on cruises, we tend to drink a lot of frozen "umbrella" type drinks. the Ultimate Beverage Package costs more than our cruise. And I looked at the drink prices, and they are outrageous.. (20-30% more than on Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

3. I didn't realize that we weren't really going to Belize.. but, instead their private island, for a day on the beach. (they didn't really state that when we booked). Because of that... there are no snorkeling excursions there. One of the best places in the world to snorkel and dive... and we are going to miss it.

4. I didn't realize that the shows aren't included. From what I understand, there are currently 2 shows that are free. Any other shows we want to see. (Illusionarium, or comedy shows, etc... ) is additional.

5. You can have breakfast in your cabin.. but only if you get a cold breakfast. If you want a hot food... it'll cost you.

6. No promenade. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is to walk the promenade, and enjoy, not only the exercise.. but the quietness. Instead, they put shops restaurants and bars along the short outside walkway. There goes the peace and quiet.

To me, it seems like this is more like the Carnival Cruise I took decades ago, when I swore that I would never cruise Carnival again.. it was a party ship. We aren't party people.

If you have not made your final payment which is due 90 days before the cruise date you can usually just cancel. If it is less than 90 days until your cruise you need to check to see what it will cost you to cancel.

. ...

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. ...

When in March? If you haven't made final payment yet you can cancel without penalty. Then book a different cruise. You'd probably do better on a smaller ship which has a similar itinerary. There wouldn't be a problem with the shows and you'd have the open promenade.

If you've already made final payment, just concentrate on the positives rather than the negatives and you'll have an awesome cruise.

Edited to add: I was typing the same time the above posts were being added so did not know others had also mentioned cancelling if possible.

Edited by NMLady

If you can afford to upgrade to a suite you will have the perks that you want without being nickeled and dimed. If you can't upgrade then make the most of it and go with an open mind to have a good time. Princess is way more upscale but NCL has it's pluses too.

I looked at that.. and to get into the "Haven Suites" it is $2000 more per person! We aren't poor, but that is insane. We normally book suites on cruises, but this trip, a mini suite looked to be the exact same cabin as a regular balcony room...

Funny thing... Princess cruise was way cheaper than the NCL one.

What kind of "pluses" does NCL have? if you wouldn't mind sharing...

When in March? If you haven't made final payment yet you cancel without penalty. Then book a different cruise. You'd probably do better on a smaller ship which has a similar itinerary. There wouldn't be a problem with the shows and you'd have the open promenade.

If you've already made final payment, just concentrate on the positives rather than the negatives and you'll have an awesome cruise.

Just made my final payment this week... :(

I'm trying to figure out what the positives are.

Incorrect. The Vibe pass will give you access to a private sun deck. There is no pool there. Spice H20 is a [free] adults only sun deck on the aft deck of the ship that does not cost you anything. If you really want a quite, adults only, area, invest in a spa pass,,, it does have a hydrotherapy pool with lot of hot bubbling water.

Incorrect. Drink prices are similar to Princess and RCL. You could get the UBP for the cost of gratuities.

But, you get a nice beach day.

Incorrect. The only evening show with additional charge is the illusionarium dinner show. Other shows in the main theater, comedy show, all of the other entertainment on the ship is free. If you don't want to spend money, don't go to the magic dinner show in the illusionarium.

There is really no place to eat in you cabin. Buffet, O'Sheans, Taste/Savor MDRs are all open serving hot breakfast for free.

The waterfront runs the length of the ship (which is very long). You can do laps, it just means you need to cross through the forward/aft elevator lobby as you transition from port to starboard. The waterfront provides lovely, quite seating to sit and watch the sea. There are no shops on the waterfront (other than an ice cream shop.

This is not carnival.

Don't be sick, enjoy your cruise.

You got most things wrong in your write-up. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by BirdTravels

You got most things wrong in your write-up. Enjoy your cruise.

Another thing.. the pictures (and description) on the RCL website shows restaurants and bars on the Waterfront... I'm confused...

And, H2O doesn't have a pool near it.. right?

Edited by scarlet-amelia

How else could they guarantee an uncrowded oasis on a ship with 4000+ passengers than to limit it? It's the same for the thermal spa (which we enjoyed on the BA). Only one (dinner) charge is not free. Before the service charge for room service, there were no hot breakfast items on the menu. The full day/night menu was very sparse. Now that there is a service charge, it's much better, and you can still get a continental breakfast delivered for free.

Could you choose the UBP as a perk?

The majority of the issues you have could have been brought to your attention with a little research before booking your cruise. Research is our friend.

Since you are past final payment date, you have two options. One would be to cancel and the other would be to go on the cruise and try to enjoy it even though there are thing you won't like.

Relax, the Getaway is a wonderful ship.

1. There is no pool in this pass only, for a fee area. Might be a hot tub. Lots of padded chairs and umbrellas, cabanas, dedicated bar and staff. Most feel like they don't need it. Go to the free adults only Spice H20 area on the front of the ship. Lots of chairs, huge screen tv, bar, and adjacent to Margaritaville.

This is where they have the deck parties at night.

2. Why don't you just take the Ultimate Beverage Promo with your booking if you are concerned about drink prices? You only pay the gratuity on the package value pre cruise, then nothing on board. Unlimited drinks up to $15. Most fall within this limit. If above, you pay the $1 or $2 difference.

3. Read up a little on the Private Island. Pretty new and seems to be far and above what most cruiselines offer on their private islands. I believe you can still get to the mainland for tours if that is what you prefer.

4. The only show which is additional is the Illusionarium, and that's because it is a dinner show. If you have the dining package, as a promo or purchased, you can go for an additional $15. It's a great show. Comedy shows are free as are all others that I'm aware of. Some you will either need reservations because of the small club type space, or wait standby last 15 min or so and probably get in. If Million Dollar Quartet is in the main theatre, you'll want to reserve, although standby is a possibility. Best show I've seen at sea, and maybe elsewhere as well.

5. Yes, free coffee and pastries, etc till 10:00 or so. Enough to hold you until you can get out to the buffet, O'Sheehans, one of the MDRs.

6. I love the Waterfront area. There are long stretches of padded couches and chairs placed between the small bar areas and the narrow strips of tables (the outdoor dining areas of the restaurants) , which are only open after 5:30. These are wonderful areas to relax comfortably during the day. Few people here, and very quiet. You can't walk all the way around the ship, but nearly.

7. I would not consider this a party ship, but there is a multitude of things to do depending on your interests. There is a variety of music all over the ship. The shows and activities are great.

We didn't get any perks with our cruise.

How is this possible? Virtually everyone gets at least one free, and two if booking an oceanview or balcony or above. Last minute booking, some guarantee category which does not qualify for promos?

I see you are in a mini suite. This should have come with two free promo choices. You need to call NCL and find out what you have, or call your TA.

Edited by punkincc

No perks? Who did you book with? Ncl always has free at sea perks. FYI, as stated above, most of your info is wrong. We prefer the relaxed atmosphere of ncl. And freestyle is the only way to go. We had that itinerary in January and had a great time. We converted our RCI friends to NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn't get any perks with our cruise.

If the final payment due date hasn't passed, check http://www.ncl.com to see if your cruise is still available for booking with UBP promo, and if it is so, call NCL to cancel your cruise and rebook, even though you have already paid in full :):)

Also, I agree with BirdTravels!!!

You'll love Getaway (and NCL).

I just looked at your past posts and saw that you booked 8710 - this is a BX cabin and the *X cabins do not qualify for any promos (UBP, dining, etc). Make sure you look for another cabin.

Edited by bluesea777

Oh no don't worry. You will enjoy the Getaway. We sailed on her last November and loved it!!! The Spice H2O deck is perfect for sunning and people always come and go so chairs free up throughout the day.

The waterfront deck is a lovely spot to read, relax and walk. Yes you do walk passed bars but lots of empty quiet space.

Drinks are expensive but we have always had the drink package so included.

Lots of free shows which are excellent. The only one we paid for was the magician show in the special theatre but it was worth it! Saw a show every night.

Don't be discouraged. It will be fantastic! Love NCL!!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

No perks? Who did you book with? Ncl always has free at sea perks. FYI, as stated above, most of your info is wrong. We prefer the relaxed atmosphere of ncl. And freestyle is the only way to go. We had that itinerary in January and had a great time. We converted our RCI friends to NCL.

We booked "guaranteed balcony". The NCL agent we booked with advised that it was a better value.

What does "freestyle" mean?

How is this possible? Virtually everyone gets at least one free, and two if booking an oceanview or balcony or above. Last minute booking, some guarantee category which does not qualify for promos?

OP is booked in a mini suite. I am guessing she booked the MX category because any of the "X" categories (IX, OX, BX, MX) are exempt from the Free at Sea promotions. No perks for these categories only.

EDIT-OP responded and confirmed my guess while I was typing

Edited by pisenor

Another thing.. the pictures (and description) on the RCL website shows restaurants and bars on the Waterfront... I'm confused...

And, H2O doesn't have a pool near it.. right?

And you still aren't doing any research. Simply look at the deck plans on the web site.

Edited by ColeThornton

I know you asked the question "is NCL a party ship," the answer in my opinion is no. It is one of the reasons I like it. I have been on Royal Caribbean and thought that was a party ship and one of the reasons I have never sailed with them again. I really think you will have a great time on NCL! We have never had a problem with finding spots for quite and relaxing on the ship.